PDA

View Full Version : Victory II and Victory I

MMBJB
03-11-2008, 3:28 PM
I have a great uncle Philip W Calladine whose record shows he was at Victory II in July 1898 and then Victroy I in October 1898, then something illegible that could be D of Well in April; 1899 and then died shortly after in May 1899 at RN Hospital, Haslar from meningitis aged 18 or 19. Were these both shore training and if so where exactly. The story handed down is that a gun fell on him. Can I find out the truth? Death is not registered in BMD records. MB

Geoffers
03-11-2008, 5:51 PM
Welcome to the B-G forums

I have a great uncle Philip W Calladine whose record shows he was at Victory II in July 1898 and then Victroy I in October 1898, then
something illegible that could be D of Well

D of Well will be HMS Duke of Wellington which was flgship at Portsmouth towards the end of the 19th century - I can't remmeber the dates offhand but a using a search engine for "HMS Duke of Wellington" should bring up something and some photos. She eventually became a depot ship in Portsmouth harbour before being broken up about 1904-ish.

'The Navy List' as sold by The Parish Chest (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=listlinkeditems&cat=D6131&supplier=&breadcrumb=Armed+Forces%3AYour+Old+Books+%26+Maps: Navy+Lists+1801+-+1900)is a good source for finding out about various ships and establishments of the Royal Navy - Incomplete runs of The Navy List can also be found in many larger reference libraries.

MMBJB
04-11-2008, 8:27 AM
Many thanks. Will try those leads. M

peter nicholl
04-11-2008, 10:18 AM
To try and fill in some of the blanks. HMS Duke of Wellington carried the Flag of the CinC Portsmouth between 1869 and 1 August 1891. She was also the general depot ship from 1869 until the new Portsmouth barracks opened in 1903.
Haslar burials can be found in the Alverstoke Parish Registers, assuming that he was buried there.
If you go to FreeBMD and select Deaths, June Quarter 1899 to June Quarter 1899 and District Alverstoke it will throw up a list of all deaths meeting those criteria. Among them is the entry for 19 year old "Walter" Colladine (sic) Ref Alverstoke 2b 353.
HTH
Peter
PS For the sake of clarification, when you do search FreeBMD as suggested, do not enter a surname and do not enter a first name. You probably knew that, but just in case.

MMBJB
05-11-2008, 7:47 AM
Hi
Thank you very much. No I didn't know how to search the Free BMD like that. I have sent to Fareham to get the death certificate so hopefully they will find that entry too. Many thanks again. Marilyn B