PDA

View Full Version : Bolle/Bolles on both sides in Lincolnshire and in Ireland

tlaporte
30-01-2005, 4:27 PM
I would be interested in hearing anything about the role this family played. I know of a Royalist Colonel Richard Bolles who fought at Edgehill in 1642 and who died heroically in a stand at Alton Church in 1643. There is also mention of a John Bolles who died at Edgehill but I haven't found a confirmation or a source for the statement. My main interest is two brothers, Richard and Thomas Boles or Bowles, connected to the Lincolnshire Bolles, who are listed in Cromwell's "Forty Nine Officers" and as landowners in Cork who assisted his landing in Ireland. Any information at all on this family name in this period would be very welcome.

ronbolus
28-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Hi------I have not got back as far as you------i am currently "stuck" in the late 1700s in rural warks. But, when i break thru that , I am sure my ancestors came from Worcestershire, with records back to 1500s. But I am interested in the etymology of your various Bolles /Bowles etc surname please. My ancestors names are often spelt in various ways, including Boles, Bowles, Bolas, Bolus. In my case I believe it comes from 2 Old english words
"Bulle" (bull) and Huis" (house)-------the person who owned or worked in the village bullhouse. But there are alternative theories. I wondered if you had considered that aspect please ?? BTW, there is anothe branch----normally spelt Bolas which go a long way back in Shropshire (with 2 villages there ---Great and little Bolas); there are records of a Bolas being " Keeper of the King's forest" in 1300s; a mayor in the county in medieval times ; and an MP in georgian times............but they seem a quite separate family. As indeed are your Lincs family with the similar unusual surname. Good luck and best wishes......Ron Bolus (PS---I'm glad he wasn't a Puritan:):):):):

ronbolus
17-05-2006, 2:44 PM
Golly------I just KNEW you'd be interested tla :))

tlaporte
27-11-2007, 8:44 PM
Hello Ron

I hope you will receive my response and sorry I did not get back to you sooner. After posting that message I was expecting B-G to advise me if anyone ever posted a response to it but I didn't receive any notice. I trusted that system to work so I never went back in the check. I dropped the B-G forum shortly after that and just happened to sign on to browse for something else today and saw your two year old reply.

I am quite interested in the origin of the Bowles name with all of its variations. Please contact me directly at tlaporte@mts.net if you ever receive this.

Thanks

Tom

Stephen M. Kohler
28-11-2007, 9:28 PM
There are many searchable online sources for Norman family names of which Bolle and variants originate. Also look into BG Forums "The Normans (1066 onward)" much discussion their about your namesake Bolle.

/R

Stephen
Washington, DC

swisschick
02-12-2007, 2:33 AM
You may find this site helpful for information on the Bolles etc.

http:/
freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~bowles family/

I have some of the Bowles of Cork in my family tree. There are some trees on Tribal Pages that contain many Bowles families. I haven't accessed them recently but they were quite helpful.

Good luck.