PDA

View Full Version : 1861 Census look-up please?

Diane Grant-Salmon
30-01-2005, 2:32 PM
According to The National Archives ...... Parish: Mangotsfield (Glos)

1861 Ref: RG9 / 1699 which I think is on the Somerset 1861 Census CD which is on sale?

Could someone kindly look for this family please?
In 1871, they're living in Staple Hill, Mangotsfield ..... I'll list the ages approximately as they would be in 1861:

William SHEPPARD (42) Head Marr Road Labourer b. Mangotsfield
Sarah (42) Wife Marr b. Mangotsfield
Louisa (20) b. Mangotsfield
Richard (18) b. Mangotsfield
Sarah (15) Scholar b. Mangotsfield
Henry (13) b. Mangotsfield
Thomas (10) Son b. Mangotsfield
William (7) Son b. Mangotsfield
Samuel (3) Son b. Mangotsfield

Thanks a lot.

k0065126
01-02-2005, 11:44 PM
There is a William Sheppard, 44, Beer Retailer, born Mangotsfield and wife Elizabeth, 33, born St Thomas Bristol, no children, at RG9/1699/folio 3/no page number visible. Possibly a relative of your William. They are in Kingswood Road, Mangotsfield and more Sheppard families on the next pages, all in ED1.

Your family is in ED2. RG9/1699/27/9. No street name. Description of the ED very faint.
'The remaining part of the Parish of Mangotsfield to the East? of the aforesaid ??? ??? from Staple Hill to Kingswood Hill and having the Bristol Turnpike Road passing over Staple Hill as the boundary on the North and the Turnpike Road over Rodway? Hill ??? the East.'

William, Head, Married, 43, Labourer, born Gloucester Mangotsfield.
Sarah, Wife, Married, 42, , Gloucester Bitton (I think).
Louisa, Daur, Unmarried, 20, , Gloucester Mangotsfield
Henry, Son, , 13, , Gloucester Mangotsfield
Thomas, Son, , 9, , Gloucester Mangotsfield
William, Son, , 3, , Gloucester Mangotsfield
Samuel, Son, , 2, , Gloucester Mangotsfield

Easier than I expected.

Viv

Diane Grant-Salmon
02-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Hi Viv,

Oh you're wonderful! Thankyou SO much for looking this up for me |bowdown|
I'm thrilled to bits ...... can't you tell? |woohoo|

Diane Grant-Salmon
03-02-2005, 9:27 AM
Hi Viv,

I'm very grateful for the look-up you did for me, but I've just realised that their son Richard (aged 18 in 1861) is missing. He was still 'around' in 1871, so I was wondering if he was just staying with Grandparents or another relative on this Census night?

If it's not too much trouble, could you just have another look at this page 9 to see if you can spot him ...... and possibly pages 8 and 10 please?

Thankyou for all your help.

k0065126
03-02-2005, 7:55 PM
Diane,

Richard is in the household before his parents. Aged 18, Coal Miner, born Gloucester Mangotsfield. The Head of the household is James Macey, Unmarried, 44, Coal Haulier, Gloucester Mangotsfield.

No other members of the household.

Glad I have been able to help.

Viv

Diane Grant-Salmon
04-02-2005, 11:01 AM
|bowdown| Thankyou, thankyou so much Viv ...... I'm so pleased you found him for me!

What a shame that he wasn't staying with his Grandparents though, as I don't have their names! :(