PDA

View Full Version : 1st visit to Leicester from Canada

Bob Topley
31-10-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm from Canada and I'm going to be visiting Leicester for the 1st time in my life. I'm descended from the Topley line, Edward Topley b Aug. 2, 1777 married Mary Preston. I would like to visit Walton On The Wolds to see if I can find where they lived and where they maybe buried. In the 1841 Census for Walton On The Wolds Ref # HO 107/593/26 the name of the Place on the form was Middleport. At least the writing looks like Middleport. Would the place name still be in existence? Further, I don't know when Edward died so I would be looking for his headstone. I hope to take photographs and add to our family tree. If I want to research parish records for Walton On The Wolds, Sileby, Hoton and Ratby where would I find the best facility from Syston to visit and research my family? My grandfather left England in 1922 and came to Canada and his brother remained in the Leicester area. The family has come together as a result of the internet and grandchildren of these men will meet for the first time in just over 3 weeks from now. Is there anyone looking at this who is familiar with the areas mentioned above. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Mary Anne
31-10-2008, 2:35 AM
Bob

Not familiar with the area in Leicester, alas, but here to wish you a FABULOUS trip. |wave|

Do make lists in preparation for your visit so you will be sure not to miss anything! I just completed a wonderful trip to Quebec City looking for rellies in the local protestant cemetery and for addresses formerly occupied by ancestors, and had a wonderful time. Found a lot more than I had thought I would and certainly appreciated it more because I knew what streets people lived on, and what I was looking for. e.g. if you want to find Edward's headstone, try to pinpoint, before you go, where he may be buried - even try to find the burial before you go...

I did the same for a trip to Weedon Bec (Northampstonshire) last year, and it paid off there, too.

And take lots of PHOTOS of course!

Mary Anne

Guy Etchells
31-10-2008, 6:47 AM
The best place would be Leicestershire Record Office see-
http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/community/museums/record_office.htm

They have microfiche of parish registers (and a huge number of other documents) that should help.
I would also suggest visiting the various villages mentioned as most will be almost the same as when your ancestors lived their in the 19th century.
Their graves in the church graveyards will almost certainly be their though some churches did remove or move gravestones (to round the wall) in the 1960s to allow mechanical mowing.
Cheers
Guy

PaulPen
31-10-2008, 8:42 AM
I'm from Canada and I'm going to be visiting Leicester for the 1st time in my life. I'm descended from the Topley line, Edward Topley b Aug. 2, 1777 married Mary Preston. I would like to visit Walton On The Wolds to see if I can find where they lived and where they maybe buried. In the 1841 Census for Walton On The Wolds Ref # HO 107/593/26 the name of the Place on the form was Middleport. At least the writing looks like Middleport. Would the place name still be in existence? Further, I don't know when Edward died so I would be looking for his headstone. I hope to take photographs and add to our family tree. If I want to research parish records for Walton On The Wolds, Sileby, Hoton and Ratby where would I find the best facility from Syston to visit and research my family? My grandfather left England in 1922 and came to Canada and his brother remained in the Leicester area. The family has come together as a result of the internet and grandchildren of these men will meet for the first time in just over 3 weeks from now. Is there anyone looking at this who is familiar with the areas mentioned above. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Bob,
Quick check on my maps and Google,didn't show any Middleport,you might need to have another look at that, Walton on the wolds is not a big village even now.
Barrow on Soar library ,4 miles from Syston ,and on the way to Walton has a range of searchable data inc,
Microfiche ,parish records for Walton 1560-1980
Registar of Graves in Walton church
Index of Headstone inscriptions
Rolls of honour
etc,for the other villages you might need the Leicestershire Record Office in Wigston,which is about 10/12 miles from Syston.

Well done on making the trip back to the old country,and I hope you find everything you need and more .
Paul

Bob Topley
31-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the tip. I plan to take pictures of anything that relates to my ancestors.

Bob Topley
31-10-2008, 12:21 PM
The towns and villages are so close by. It's amazing that many descendents are still living within 4 to 15 miles of where ancestors were born in the 1700s.

Bob Topley
31-10-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm wondering if Middleport maybe the name of an estate or farm. I have relatives in Leicester, Wigston, Syston and Rearsby so I'm sure I'll get a chance to visit the record offices.

PaulPen
31-10-2008, 1:30 PM
I'm wondering if Middleport maybe the name of an estate or farm. I have relatives in Leicester, Wigston, Syston and Rearsby so I'm sure I'll get a chance to visit the record offices.

Bob,
Had another look at the map and the nearest thing is a farm called Middle Farm on Six Hills Road,so maybe that is it?
One of these days I would like to go the other way and visit relatives I have traced in America,so enjoy youself while you are here and happy hunting.
Paul

susan-y
31-10-2008, 1:33 PM

Maybe the relatives still living over there will know where Middleport is:)

Have a great trip..., I'm envious:D Hopefully you don't come home to 6 ft of snow..or are you a skiier?

|wave|

Sue ( 40 minutes west of you..maybe an hour with that new speed reduction all the way to Craigleith|shakehead)

PaulPen
31-10-2008, 1:52 PM
Bob,
Had another look at the map and the nearest thing is a farm called Middle Farm on Six Hills Road,so maybe that is it?
One of these days I would like to go the other way and visit relatives I have traced in America,so enjoy youself while you are here and happy hunting.
Paul

Bob,
Had a look at the 1841 census ,if you go to the other pages in the parish it all becomes clear..... there is a South Part, a North Part a West Part and a
Middle Part !,no street names ,just a rough defined area .not very helpful when you are trying to trace a house ,but it was somewhere in the middle of the village!
Paul

Lesley Robertson
31-10-2008, 2:25 PM

There's WotW info here http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LEI/Barrow.html
Have a lovely time!
Lesley

Bob Topley
31-10-2008, 3:50 PM
Hi Paul
I only had a copy of the one census page, great find on "your part" for my benefit. The way it was written it is hard to tell if it is Port or Part. I'm very pleased at the response and eagerly looking forward to visiting Walton On The Wolds and learning as much as possible about Edward Topley and Mary Preston. I know she is from the Preston family of Sileby. In the 1841 census William was their son but Frederick was their grandson. I do have a copy of the parish birth record of Frederick. Thank you again for being so helpful.
Bob

Bob Topley
31-10-2008, 4:08 PM
Bob,
Had a look at the 1841 census ,if you go to the other pages in the parish it all becomes clear..... there is a South Part, a North Part a West Part and a
Middle Part !,no street names ,just a rough defined area .not very helpful when you are trying to trace a house ,but it was somewhere in the middle of the village!
Paul
I just had a look at the map and I also see another farm called Shuttlewood's Farm. John Topley b 1814 and son of Edward and Mary Topley, married Eliza Shuttlewood. Am I ever going to be busy there.

Bob Topley
31-10-2008, 4:09 PM
There's WotW info here http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LEI/Barrow.html
Have a lovely time!
Lesley
Thank you for the site. I just got the map link off it.

Bob Topley
07-11-2008, 1:54 AM
I have heard from a resident today who has extensive knowledge of the area and lives in Walton On The Wolds. He knows exactly where the cottage once stood as it has been demolished. He also has some knowledge of my ancestors to share with me. He will give me a tour of the village and also visit St. Mary's Church which is still in use and I'm looking forward to seeing it. The markers have been moved to the periphery of the Church so I may have some difficulty finding my ancestors. Still, it's well worth the trip to see and experience the Village of Walton On The Wolds and meet its people. I find it exilarating to know that 230 years ago some of my genes came from this place, what an experience it will be to return to a place my ancestors came from.