PDA

View Full Version : Ardchattan Parish, North Argyll

Ardchattan
30-10-2008, 2:17 PM
Hi Folks

I have finally resurrected the Ardchattan Parish Archive website so can bow to Lesley's urging to join you here.
The interactive part of the Parish site is based around a Bulletin Board format. This was the old version and got hacked over the summer and started to send out spam all on its own. It got stopped but I am so full on with work through the summer that it had to go on hold.
The tourists are away and the nights are drawing in so I have managed to get my head around upgrading the phpbb version and converting the database over.

The Ardchattan Parish Project's aims are to collect information about the area illustrating what happened around here from the Big Bang to the Present Day, and all the influences on the place and community.
The Bulletin Board format gives everyone interested in social and natural history an opportunity to contribute information, as well as those with personal interest in the local population.

Over this winter there is a lot of stuff I have been harvesting, to add -- huge amounts. And there are plans to get searchable databases of the BMD's etc that we have so far up online too.

In the years to come this information will be written up in a more structured form to provide a comprehensive history of the area.

I would love to hear your feedback and look forward to being part of this community.

Jill --

Lesley Robertson
30-10-2008, 3:05 PM
Hi Folks

I have finally resurrected the Ardchattan Parish Archive website so can bow to Lesley's urging to join you here.
The interactive part of the Parish site is based around a Bulletin Board format. This was the old version and got hacked over the summer and started to send out spam all on its own. It got stopped but I am so full on with work through the summer that it had to go on hold.
The tourists are away and the nights are drawing in so I have managed to get my head around upgrading the phpbb version and converting the database over.

The Ardchattan Parish Project's aims are to collect information about the area illustrating what happened around here from the Big Bang to the Present Day, and all the influences on the place and community.
The Bulletin Board format gives everyone interested in social and natural history an opportunity to contribute information, as well as those with personal interest in the local population.

Over this winter there is a lot of stuff I have been harvesting, to add -- huge amounts. And there are plans to get searchable databases of the BMD's etc that we have so far up online too.

In the years to come this information will be written up in a more structured form to provide a comprehensive history of the area.

I would love to hear your feedback and look forward to being part of this community.

Jill --

Hi Jill,
good to see you at last! If you add the URL of your site to your public profile section, then everyone can find it easily.

Lesley

Ardchattan
30-10-2008, 3:50 PM
Hi Jill,
good to see you at last! If you add the URL of your site to your public profile section, then everyone can find it easily.

Lesley

Thanks for the welcome Lesley
and will do.

Jill

Lesley Robertson
30-10-2008, 7:49 PM
Thanks for the welcome Lesley
and will do.

Jill

Your website's looking really good now - prolific poster that Admin! I especially like the prehistory section - all I've got for Whitsome is a Roman urn and a couple of (probably) Roman burials....
Lesley

Ardchattan
30-10-2008, 9:39 PM
Your website's looking really good now - prolific poster that Admin! I especially like the prehistory section - all I've got for Whitsome is a Roman urn and a couple of (probably) Roman burials....
Lesley

Aye -- obnoxious persistant sort !!!
We are absolutely surrounded by the prehistoric. Its so wonderful and so powerful.
I want to learn about maps online this winter, overlaying the time periods, with places and people and events.
Google may be the way but I just don't think I will have the time with all the rest.
We are open to the public here, and are now hosting producers markets every First and Third Thursdays here at the farm, and I want to do the same for the visitors to encourage them to be more interested in what is around them.
I am getting more involved in the historical heritage groups locally, mostly offering my services giving them online presence until I have time to do more useful things or learn more skills and knowledge.
Its a fascinating wee corner and I am looking forward to getting the chance to develop the content this year. The last two winters have been rather full on for different reasons. I hope to have a smidge more "me" time this one - wait and see.

Jill

Lesley Robertson
31-10-2008, 8:53 AM
Aye -- obnoxious persistant sort !!!
We are absolutely surrounded by the prehistoric. Its so wonderful and so powerful.
I want to learn about maps online this winter, overlaying the time periods, with places and people and events.
Jill

I assume that you've seen NLS's on line map collection? They've now added their Wade maps - did he get up there?
BTW I asked them for permission to use a bit of one map on the Whitsome & Hilton site and they replied with blanket permission for that purpose, to save me having to keep asking!

I was disappointed with the RCAMS collection, but with all your prehistory, they may have more. It does involve a trip to Embra, though....

Lesley

Ardchattan
31-10-2008, 9:09 AM
I assume that you've seen NLS's on line map collection? They've now added their Wade maps - did he get up there?

He got close by -- if memory serves his hand is in much of the West Highland Way which is the route for the forces up to Fort William to quell the unruly Highland clans.
Our parish is a Campbell Parish so we are on the other side - we are split between Campbell cadets of Argyll : Lochnell and Ardchattan, and that of Breadalbane : Barcaldine.
While there was infighting, quell surprise, they were mainly on the establishment side. Its going to make it even more interesting to work out the effects of the politics around us.
I don't think Wade came into the parish but there are certianly bridges and such within 20 miles.

BTW I asked them for permission to use a bit of one map on the Whitsome & Hilton site and they replied with blanket permission for that purpose, to save me having to keep asking!

oooh - thanks for that heads up.
I will enquire. I was extremely lucky to get permission from the GROS to publish all our parish OPRs Stat records etc.
I have a number of the maps printed out from the nls site last year but have not been back again recently.

I was disappointed with the RCAMS collection, but with all your prehistory, they may have more. It does involve a trip to Embra, though....
Lesley

Oh yes !! we have pages of it ;)
We even have a burial kist beside the wall on the farm here. The cairn above it, is now the wall, and the capstone is in the wall of the extension built in 1875 ish, as the lintel over the fireplace.

just hereabouts we have several standing stones, two crannogs, chambered cairns, multiple use cairns, field enclosures, hill forts and the first city of Scotland - the place the Scotia established their community when they came from Ireland. to name but a few.

as I say, its a fascinating little spot, I have to do more work on it.

Jill

vivdunstan
03-11-2008, 10:48 AM
Hi Jill,

Just been looking through your website. That forum on its own is mighty impressive, providing a structured way for people to post about different time periods, different places within the parish etc.

And then there's the top-level page providing info about all the records and the history. And GOOD GRIEF!!! Just seen the BMD section. I think the Andersons at the top are my relatives. My ggg-aunt Mary Fair from Roxburghshire married game keeper William Anderson and ended up - quickly rechecking family tree and census returns on Ancestry - in Ardchattan of all places! Had totally forgotten that. I trace all my family lines so can get a bit muddled at times about some of the side-branches ...

But wonderful site.

Viv

Ardchattan
04-11-2008, 9:05 AM
Hi Jill,

Just been looking through your website. That forum on its own is mighty impressive, providing a structured way for people to post about different time periods, different places within the parish etc.

Thank you.
I am hoping more people will start to contribute information, and questions too to inspire others to answer. If its left to me, then progress will be terribly slow as I get too little time to work on it.
I do have a lot of random harvested material from all sorts of places and the structure helps find a place to deposit it. Then it can be brought together in a more coherent way, meantime it is available to others.

And then there's the top-level page providing info about all the records and the history. And GOOD GRIEF!!! Just seen the BMD section. I think the Andersons at the top are my relatives. My ggg-aunt Mary Fair from Roxburghshire married game keeper William Anderson and ended up - quickly rechecking family tree and census returns on Ancestry - in Ardchattan of all places! Had totally forgotten that. I trace all my family lines so can get a bit muddled at times about some of the side-branches ...

But wonderful site.

Viv

Excellent, it would be wonderful to have a little background to Mary and William. Do you know WHERE they were working?
It would be great to have their info, and we welcome all GROS images.
There is a BMD area on the forum.
I will try and get photographs of where they were if I can.
The light this morning is stunning, an inversion holding the clouds below the mountains which were glowing apricot. Now clear blue skies.

Thank you for you encouraging words, it is MOST appreciated.

Jill

vivdunstan
04-11-2008, 1:24 PM
Excellent, it would be wonderful to have a little background to Mary and William. Do you know WHERE they were working?
It would be great to have their info, and we welcome all GROS images.
There is a BMD area on the forum.
I will try and get photographs of where they were if I can.

I'll check the census returns again to get the exact addresses - I think they were at different places in the parish over the years. Also Mary probably died between 1891 and 1901 so I'll go to ScotlandsPeople and get her death certificate. I'd love to see what the places they lived at look like. I think my Mum would too: this would have been her namesake granny's aunt.

I'll post about the family on your forum after I've done this.

Viv