PDA

View Full Version : POW cards;

Eise
30-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Hello out there.

I have now received a copy of Fred Bailey's records and inside is a copy of his POW card. Not much info on here but if I can find a way to post it on this site maybe someone can translate the Japanese writing; Place of capture is in Japanese; camp ref is 19 12 3 his POW number was 4335 Also Timor is mentioned by his regt;
Any help out there. We also have a mention of The Pacific Star. Could this have been the ship he was transported from Japan to Canada on;
eise

Procat
30-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Hi Eise,

see this thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30819) for tips on posting to the forum using photobucket.

Eise
30-10-2008, 1:40 PM
Hi I have followed instructions and it tells me the image is loaded but how do i get it here.

eise

Eise
30-10-2008, 2:11 PM
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr149/eise02/FredCBailey-POWcard001.jpg This is the image of the POW card, hope someone can help, there isnt much to go on. eise

Braeseke
05-11-2008, 2:09 PM
Mistake, sorry - removed

Procat
05-11-2008, 11:57 PM
Hi Eise,

Looks as though we have no Japanese readers here.

I suppose you could be really cheeky and send an email to the Japanese embassy.:)

v.wells
06-11-2008, 2:30 AM
Eise

What a fascinating piece! I have no idea what it says in Japanese. Perhaps it is just Japanese translated into English for either Japanese officials and English officials. I have never seen a POW record so thank you for showing it to us.:)

Procat
06-11-2008, 2:45 AM
I think it is the place of capture which only has the japanese writing that Eise is specifically after.

v.wells
06-11-2008, 2:50 AM
translate.google.com might be able to do it.

I went to do it and didn't know how to proceed |oopsredfa

Procat
06-11-2008, 3:06 AM
Good suggestion Vanessa.

I think the problem is that you can only translate in one of two ways.

Type in or paste the characters you want translated or ask it to translate a web page.

As the characters are in a jpeg on this site we can't copy and paste them. I tried to get the page translated but it ignored the image.

If Eise has the original in a pdf or word doc it should be possible to copy and paste.

Braeseke
06-11-2008, 3:27 AM
Sorry, I updated Eise's other thread...

Place of capture is Timor.

Procat
06-11-2008, 3:29 AM
Thanks Braeseke,

Lesley Robertson
06-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Hi Eise,

Looks as though we have no Japanese readers here.

I suppose you could be really cheeky and send an email to the Japanese embassy.:)

I've asked my Japan-resident nephew. He says that it says Timor. I think that's one of the areas occupied by Japan in WW2, so that would fit.

Lesley

DebbyG
06-11-2008, 2:09 PM
Hi

Many men were caught in Timor itself, i wonder if this was the case for your father in law.
The dates do not tie in with his DOB is this because they have used their own japenese calender, which works differnetly to ours.
A very interesting document to see, thanks for sharing

xx

Eise
13-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Thank you all who have given advice or just remarked on this card. Can you tell me Procat whether emailing the Japanese embassy isea is a joke I dont mind doing that, anything to show me what I have here. I have now sent a copy to the Red Cross in Geneva. ICRC.

Here it takes a long time but they always get back to you eventually. They have details as on here so hopefully this will help. However The Japenese Embassy is a place to try if everyone thinks they wont be offended.

Eise

Lesley Robertson
13-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Thank you all who have given advice or just remarked on this card. Can you tell me Procat whether emailing the Japanese embassy isea is a joke I dont mind doing that, anything to show me what I have here. I have now sent a copy to the Red Cross in Geneva. ICRC.

Here it takes a long time but they always get back to you eventually. They have details as on here so hopefully this will help. However The Japenese Embassy is a place to try if everyone thinks they wont be offended.

Eise

But since we got the place of capture translated for you, what extra would you hope to gain from their Embassy?
Lesley

Eise
13-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi Pro Cat,

Have just been chatting to one of my contacts and they suggested the same. They said If i was polite about the request and asked permission to send them a copy of the document it should be ok so I will let you know how i do. Eise

Braeseke
13-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Eise, I'm not sure what else you are expecting to get from the card you've displayed. I've previously converted the dates and place of capture on your other thread.

Are you hoping that the Japanese Embassy will give you some additional information?

Procat
15-11-2008, 5:16 AM
Hi Pro Cat,

Have just been chatting to one of my contacts and they suggested the same. They said If i was polite about the request and asked permission to send them a copy of the document it should be ok so I will let you know how i do. Eise

Hi Eise,

It wasn't a joke. But as others have pointed out you do now appear to have all the information that can be obtained from the card.

Eise
18-11-2008, 1:59 PM
Well I tried, I did the cheeky bit and emailed the Japanese embassy, needless to say I have had no answer and it has been over a week I think now.

I was very polite.

Eise

Braeseke
18-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Hi Eise, What did you ask of the Japanese Embassy? I may have been able to help you!

Well I tried, I did the cheeky bit and emailed the Japanese embassy, needless to say I have had no answer and it has been over a week I think now.

I was very polite.

Eise

Eise
24-11-2008, 2:00 PM
I did not attach the item i just asked The Embassy if they could help and if so would i be allowed to send the card. There are many areas on the card in Japanese writing, whether dates of places I do not know. As you can see, Timor is actually shown so we knew this part of it. You have been exremely helpful with your advice but maybe the majority of you are right when you say we have gained all we can for the moment. Thanks again.
I did contact the embassy but to date have had no reply so maybe I should know let it rest.
Eise

Eise
25-11-2008, 3:37 PM
I just wondered if anyone noticed the dates were wrong on the card. Iy gives Fred birth date correctly then date of capture is also given as 1923 which is wrong; it should read 1942. Also woule anyone be interested in seeing another card i have here which is one for an internee's tribunal. My husbands great grandfather who was of German birth. it is interesting to see. i will attach it ASAp
eise

Eise
25-11-2008, 4:09 PM
Sorry to bother you again but i have been trying to place another image on this site of my husbands great grandfathers tribunal card as i thought it would be interesting for some to see, but the method through photo bucket seems to have stopped. I am now a registered member and I followed the steps you gave but nothing is happening. It worked with the POW card so easy.
eise

Lesley Robertson
25-11-2008, 6:03 PM
Sorry to bother you again but i have been trying to place another image on this site of my husbands great grandfathers tribunal card as i thought it would be interesting for some to see, but the method through photo bucket seems to have stopped. I am now a registered member and I followed the steps you gave but nothing is happening. It worked with the POW card so easy.
eise

There's a note on another thread saying that Photobucket's been having problems but is OK now, so why not have another try before you worry too much?

Lesley

Braeseke
25-11-2008, 9:52 PM
I just wondered if anyone noticed the dates were wrong on the card. Iy gives Fred birth date correctly then date of capture is also given as 1923 which is wrong; it should read 1942. Also woule anyone be interested in seeing another card i have here which is one for an internee's tribunal. My husbands great grandfather who was of German birth. it is interesting to see. i will attach it ASAp
eise

The dates were not wrong as far as I'm aware, they were just in Japanese calendar format and I converted them for you. I wrote the conversions down on two of your threads (on another site) and also notified you of what I had done previously in this thread.

Eise
04-12-2008, 12:03 PM
If this works i am about to re try to get this image onto this site. It is quite interesting

Eise

Eise
04-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Sorry this isnt working will try again later.
eise

Aislin
04-12-2008, 1:54 PM
Perhaps you can use this site to translate the symbols and then use an online translater like google translator to figure out what it means.

http://www.linguanaut.com/japanese_alphabet.htm

http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en