PDA

View Full Version : Re John Dickens

Deb Gibbons
28-10-2008, 2:23 PM
Seeking any info on my great grt grandfather, John Dickens, believed to have been born 1818 Northamptonshire.
John married Rosannah Farren? born 1827 Ireland. Place and date of marriage not known. At least three children, John, Samuel and Charlotte. Later moved to Lancashire area.

tony vines
28-10-2008, 6:21 PM
Hi Deb

How about this from the 1851 census?
Source: Class HO107/Piece 2200/Folio 466/Page 3
Pemberton, Lancs
Robin Lane End
John Dickens, Head, Married, 33, Plate layer, Northampton
Rosanna Dickens, Wife, Marr. 25, Ireland
Sharlott Dickens, Daughter 3 Scholar, Northampton
John S Dickens, Son, 1, Liverpool, Lancs.

This suggests that their marriage took place some time before 1848 and that the family moved to Lancs. around 1849/50.

If this is your family we can help with marriage info if it is there and also further census records, unless you already have such detail. Please let us know what you're short of.

regards

tony vines
28-10-2008, 6:51 PM
Hi Deb (again)

I did a "quick and dirty" search of FreeBMD for the marriage in the years referred to above and couldn't find it but maybe they married in Ireland.

The 1861 census shows the following. Charlotte is spelt the way I would expect; son John S was probably referred to by his second name, Samuel, rather than John; John Dickens (snr.) died between 1851 and 1861, probably around 1855 onwards and they had at least 2 more children. Here are the details from Source RG9/2782/103/10 for John Street, Pemberton
Rosannah Dickens/Head/Wid./35/Cotton carder/Ireland
Charlotte Dickens/daur/14/cotton weaver/Blackburn, Lancs (note different place of birth)
Samuel Dickens/son/11/labourer in cotton mill/Liverpool
James Dickens/son/9/Liverpool
May A Dickens/daur/6/Liverpool
Anne Sharples/lodger etc.

Deb Gibbons
28-10-2008, 9:14 PM
Thanx Tony. I already have the info you sent. I need to search for John Dickens parents or siblings. Cheers Deb

Jan1954
28-10-2008, 9:26 PM
I am not sure if this is of any use to you, but in the September quarter of 1845, in Preston District (volume 21, page 511) there is a John Dickins and a Rose Farrell on the same page. (Note the spelling of John's surname)

However, there is also a James Turner on the page as well, so not necessarily the right couple. :o

Did you obtain Rosanna/h's maiden name from the birth certificate of one of the children?

Mona
28-10-2008, 9:56 PM
John Dickins did indeed marry Rose Farrell, Walton Le Dale, St. Leonard, Preston, 1845
Any marriages in Lancs, it is worth looking at LancashireBMD, it has pretty good coverage.

tony vines
28-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Deb

It was not clear from your first post how far you'd got. Can I suggest that in future posts of this nature you be a bit more specific about what you've got and what you need and then posters can be more targetted in helping you rather than repeating what you've already done.

It is now clear that the lack of information on the marriage is what is holding you back. I'm sure you know that if you can get the certificate it is likely to have the names of the fathers which should narrow down your search. There are unfortunately several John Dickens births on the LDS site in Northants around the time he was apparently born.

May I ask what you've searched so far to track the marriage? Have you for example investigated the GRO records for the 1840s? If you have and you've drawn a blank it may mean that they were married outside the UK. Given that the wife was from Ireland it is possible that it took place there although the problems and costs of travel in those days makes that a bit unlikely. You could however post your query on the Irish Family History forum.

If you want to summarise what searches you've done either I or other posters may be able to suggest alternative avenues or look them up for you.

Good luck

tony vines
28-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Mona got in before me. Well done Mona if that's the right one. The details for obtaining a copy marriage certificate from GRO are Sept Quarter 1845 Preston 21 511