PDA

View Full Version : HMS Philoctetes

Mark-R
29-01-2005, 3:53 PM
Can anyone help me? I`m fairly new to this research and one of the subjects is my father, Joseph Richardson, he served in the Royal Navy 1942-45 on board the HMS Philoctetes. I do not know his I.D. No. or if he was awarded any medals.

I am sending a letter to the Royal Navy at Gosport with the above information together with his date of birth. Has anybody else done this and were you successful?

Mark-R

Geoffers
29-01-2005, 6:37 PM
Can anyone help me? I`m fairly new to this research and one of the subjects is my father, Joseph Richardson, he served in the Royal Navy 1942-45 on board the HMS Philoctetes. I do not know his I.D. No. or if he was awarded any medals. I am sending a letter to the Royal Navy at Gosport with the above information together with his date of birth. Has anybody else done this and were you successful?
I have obtained an extract of service record for my grandfather, Eng.Capt C.E Lowe CBE from the Royal Navy - this was some years ago when it was free, I am led to believe that a fee is now charged. If your father is still alive then he would either need to apply - or provide you with written authority to apply on his behalf.

The current address to post requests for RN service records is available on the MoD website
http://www.mod.uk/contacts/rn_records.htm
Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Mark-R
29-01-2005, 8:08 PM
Thanks for the reply Geoffers

My Father unfortunately passed away 25 years ago.

Mark-R

Geoffers
29-01-2005, 8:32 PM
Thanks for the reply Geoffers
My Father unfortunately passed away 25 years ago.
Mark-R
Sorry to read that, but at least that means that as you are next-of-kin, you should have no problems obtaining the service record.

Geoffers

Mark-R
30-01-2005, 9:46 PM
I`ve had some luck, I found my fathers service record! Thanks for any help.

Mark-R

Lynda Ganatsiou
09-07-2006, 9:25 AM
Hello Mark,

I joind up yesterday.
Despite the fact that it's been quite some time since you were seeking informatuion about your father, perhaps you still check out this site from time to time.

What a co-incidence, you see.....My Dad also served on HMS Philoctetes. I have his Service Number and am also in possession of two of his medals.

Do you know what your Dad 's position was on the ship...or even what kind it was... Merchant ship etc.etc? Did your father go to Lagos? My dad broke his ankle and had to be hospitalized there.
Incidentally, do you have any photos? I have quite a few.

Like yourself, I am new at this kind of research but would welcome any knowledge about areas my dad went to or other ships that my Dad served on during this period of 1942-1945 in WWII.

Can anyone out there give me any suggestions? Would it be best to go through the MoD?

I sincerely hope that someone reads this and can supply me with some info.

Lynda.