PDA

View Full Version : Need help in Leominster

ausiejude
27-10-2008, 9:31 PM
I am chasing the family of my g.g.grandparents, who came to Australia in 1857 with 2 children. I know that Thomas Smith married Maria Sarah Spooner in St Clements Church, Worcester on 4 - 4 - 1850 but they live in Broad St, Leominster. In the 1841 census he was living with his grandparents William & Martha Cartwright in Broad St Leominster and then in 1851 census he and his wife are at 30 Broad St with a 2 month old child Maria. The 2 children that he brought to Australia were Eva Anna Spooner and Mary so obviously the 2 month old Maria didn't survive to make the trip.

Last night I found, while browsing, a Maria Martha Cartwright Smith the daughter of Thomas and Maria who was christened on 10 -11 - 1852 in Leominster and this must be another of the children that didn't survive as a child of the exact same christian name was born in Sydney in 1860. I believe that there was another child, a male, who also died but think that he must have died in Leominster. I think that the child might have been called William or Thomas and might have been born soon after or even before they married.

After a wild youth this g.g.grandfather turned into a marvellous minister of the Church in Australia and was highly spoken of, according to all newspaper reports.

Any advice or help would be greatly received.

Judy

jeeb
28-10-2008, 12:52 AM
Hi Judy,
As you probably are very well aware Smith is a very common name but I believe that it is likely that the 2 month old Maria on the 1851 census and the child baptised Maria Martha Cartwright Smith in 1852 is the same child.
Here is the evidence:-

Birth registration.
Maria Martha Cartwright Smith Jan/Mar 1851 Leominster Vol 26 Page 247

Death registration.
Maria Smith Jan/Mar 1853 Leominster Vol 6a Page 415

Maria Sarah Spooner was born in St Peters Worcester hence the marriage to Thomas Smith in Worcester.

Jeremy

jeeb
28-10-2008, 1:08 AM
Hi Judy,
You may already know this information but if not I think it maybe of interest to you.

Marriage
William Smith & Ann Cartwright 2nd Sept 1826 at Leominster

Baptism
Thomas son of William & Ann Smith 20th Jan 1830 at Leominster

Jeremy

ausiejude
28-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for answering, and no I hadn't thought of that at all. All I was going on was that when Canon Thomas died in 1882 the information that was given was that 2 females and 1 male pre-deceased him.

I just did a quick check on the NSW birth, deaths and marriages, with those parents but didn't find any other daughter so guess that it will always remain a mystery as to whom the second daughter who died was, that is counting Maria as Maria Martha Cartwright as one of them.

Many thanks for all your advice.

Regards,

Judy