PDA

View Full Version : Dublin 1839-1845

dreward
27-10-2008, 8:51 PM
For many years I have been making half hearted attempts to trace my Ward family in Dublin. All I have at the moment are Devon 1851 to 1871 Census indications that my 2nd great-grandfather, Robert, was born in Dublin about 1820/21. His father, Thomas, may have died there about ±1844 as he would appear still to be alive if Robert's marriage certificate issued at Newton St Cyres in Devon in 1844 is to be believed.

I was quite ready to leave it there as a brick wall but 2 years ago I found a newspaper clipping which gave details of a death of William Ward aged 21, midshipman, at Calcutta in Christmas day 1845, son of Thomas - merchant in Dublin, brother of Robert and born in Dublin!

Up to now, more brick walls. So I thought what would the the situation have been like in Dublin during 1839-45.

Why this period? Because it seems Robert arrived at Newton St Cyres in 1840/41 - (but why this town, I don't know) - and that William joined a merchant ship 3 to 5 years before his death.

My understanding is that the family were protestants but I am not sure whether they were "old" or "new" English residents. If Thomas was a merchant then he would have been that for 10 years but was he born there or were his parents already there? I don't know.

So if anyone could direct me to a book or website where I could get more info about Dublin and its problems about that time I would be grateful to receive any help.

Jan1954
27-10-2008, 9:01 PM
I have "Tracing Your Dublin Ancestors (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=viewproduct&cat=&id=P81930&pageOffset=0)" from Flyleaf Press, who have a stand with Parish Chest, our sponsors.

It is a very informative book, which explains where and how to look when delving into Dublin.

dreward
29-10-2008, 7:39 PM
Thanks Jan for the book title which I have ordered and Finbar for the Pigots address. I've looked briefly at the content but can't find any obvious relative but that would have been far too easy. But as you said the date was a bit off.

Cheers

Dave

obbie
09-02-2009, 3:56 PM
hi dublinheritage.ie search data base . lots wards . williams and thomas no roberts . free site . good luck