PDA

View Full Version : Great great grandfather James White

RozButterworth
27-10-2008, 3:41 PM
according to family sources was killed by a horse at Epsom Racecourse (Surrey) circa 1885. I'm wondering whether anyone could suggest in what newspaper I could search for any reports of his death? I emailed the Racecourse but they had no records. I'll also get his death cert. I just wondered whether there were any other ways of finding out whether this family vignette has any veracity.

Thanks

Roz

Procat
28-10-2008, 1:24 AM
Hi Roz,

I would have thought something like that would rate a mention in the Times. A quick look found nothing obvious. Can you narrow the time frame at all?

RozButterworth
29-10-2008, 12:35 AM
Thanks very much for your response, Procat. A more thorough analysis of the available information indicates James White's death was probably registered in the March quarter of 1882 in Croydon.

I appreciate your effort in checking this for me. Many thanks

Roz

Procat
29-10-2008, 1:05 AM
Hi Roz,

checked for a death with various combinations of words from 1 Dec 1881 to 30 April 1882 without success.

The Death Certificate may shed some further information.

benny1982
29-10-2008, 9:03 PM
Hi

Local newspapers will no doubt have a report on the incident. I have found many for any of my ancestors who had a accident or the death was inquest worthy etc.

Ben

RozButterworth
30-10-2008, 3:37 AM
Thank you both very much for your contributions.

Roz

JenniLl
08-11-2008, 5:12 PM
Roz,

You may have found the answer to your query by now - I've only just signed up.

The two main local newspapers The Epsom and Ewell Herald and The Epsom and Ewell Advertiser were not published until late 1880s / 1910.

I suggest that you contact The Surrey History Centre at Woking, Surrey (as well as trying the National newspapers) the staff are most helpful.

Jenni
:)

RozButterworth
09-11-2008, 12:57 AM
Hi Jenni

No - still pondering this one. I guess what I need to do (and probably should have done first) is get the death certificate and take it from there. But thank you so much for your info - if it turns out James White was crushed by a horse, I will take up your suggestion and contact Woking. Many thanks for this very relevant and useful information.

Regards

Roz|wave|