PDA

View Full Version : USA LOOKUP

Keith Daniells
27-10-2008, 6:29 AM
Dose anyone have access to US census and NY passenger lists. Am looking for THOMAS HENRY SMYTHE who had a daughter LILAN MILDRED SMYTHE born abt 1897. Of Thomas all I know is that he was an accountant and had died prior to 1917. No much info I know but big fish have been caught on little hooks.

NickM
27-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Smythe is a very common name. There are lots of Smythes in the immigration lists, but with no places of birth or places of destination and no DOB for Thomas, it's almost impossible to find the right one.

BeeJay
27-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi Keith:

To help narrow it down, do you know if Lilan (Lilian?) was born in the U.S. or in England?

:)

Keith Daniells
27-10-2008, 5:49 PM
NickM. Sorry but as I said I have very little info on Thomas. Although his destination would have been England.

BeeJay. Lilian claimed to have been born in Folkestone,Kent UK. But I have been unable to find any official record of that. (many have tried)

Keith.

ET in the USA
27-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Looked at US Census -Can't find any Thomas born in Engl or Irel who isn't single. No lilian born any time close to 1897.

Think we need bigger hook or more bait :)

susan-y
27-10-2008, 10:40 PM
If his destination was England, does that mean he was born in the US and then went to England, or was he just visiting and/or working in the US prior or after his daughter's birth?

Sue

Keith Daniells
28-10-2008, 12:32 AM
Hi Sue. I have been unable to locate Thomas Henry Smythe through all the channels available in A*****Y. com. So I was playing with the idea that he may have moved from the US to England. I thought I would throw in a long line with a lot of hooks. Dont get to tied up on it as it has turned my hair grey already. Keith.

Leander
11-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Hi Keith,

Was Thomas born about 1867-1870 in Ireland? I found a Thomas Smythe in the 1920 US census, living in Gary, Indiana.

According to the census entry, he arrived in 1890 and became a naturalized citizen in 1899.

The writing on the census page is very faded and the handwriting is, well, atrocious. They have interpreted his wife's name as "Ronnan", but that looks like a guess because, again, it's difficult to make out the writing. :-)

Thomas' age at the time of the census was interpreted as "50", but it could also be "53".

Anyhow, it says that his wife was born in England. At the time of the census she was 45 years old. It looks like she immigrated in 1891 and became naturalized in 1897.

There are 3 children listed:

Edith C., age 8 -- however, her age could also be 18, as it looks like there could be a very faded "1" before the number 8.

Gladys M., age 17.

Thomas H, age 16.

I cannot make out the information regarding their occupations. And, I haven't found them in any other census, but could look some more.

If these seem like the right people I could email the image to you and you could have the "fun" of trying to figure out what is written on this page. Maybe if it's printed out (I don't have a printer here) it might be more readable. :-)

I did not find a Lilian/Lillian/Lily with this family; HOWEVER......I did find an ship's record for a married woman named "Lily Smythe" who arrived July 13, 1907, age 27. She arrived with a 7-year-old, Frank Smythe.

That doesn't fit with what you are expecting, but thought I'd present it in case it is somehow relevant.

Cheers,

Deb

Keith Daniells
12-11-2008, 1:40 AM
Hi Deb,
I have no idea where Thomas was born. I am starting to think Lilian might have been a bit loose with some of her available info. It is all quite frustrating. The info you list is of intrest to me as. I think I will need to look close to all info that comes along to try and determine the truth. If you would email that info to me I will give it a good look over.

Many thanks Keith.