PDA

View Full Version : Giles Masterman Poole Hiscock Hayes Read Stiles

Pat English
28-01-2005, 8:24 AM
I have done pretty well in reaching back to 1837 for my Dorset ancestors, but need help to go back further. These are the people I am trying to track:

Ancestors of Joseph Giles, born 1806 in Winterbourne Whitechurch, and his wife Ann Masterman, born 1808 in Sturminster Marshall. They lived in Lytchett Matravers.

Ancestors of Neri Poole, born 1806 in Temple Coombe, Somerset, and his wife Elizabeth Hiscock, born 1817 in Corfe Castle. They lived in Holt, Wimborne.

Ancestors of Richard Hayes, born 1810, Studland -- his father was also a Richard Hayes but I have nothing on him and his wife. The 1810 Richard Hayes married Ann Read, born in 1816 in Studland, daughter of John Read, born around 1781, Studland, and granddaughter of another John Read, born around 1738, Studland. I think this one had a wife called Jane.

Ancestors of Robert Stiles, shoemaker of Poole. He was father to Maria Stiles in 1831, but that's all I know.

All these people were my great great great grandparents.

Best wishes,

Pat English
Cardiff

WaltonAus
06-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Hello Pat, Looking on LDS I found this 1881 census record.

George GILES Head M 47 Lytchett, Dorset, Carpenter & Wheelwright
Joseph GILES Father W 75 Lytchett, Dorset, Landlord Royal Oak
Caroline GILES Wife M 46 Hythe, Hampshire
Bertha GILES Daur U 22 Beaulieu, Hampshire Genl Servant
Charles GILES Son U 19 Beaulieu, Hampshire, Carpenter
William GILES Son U 16 Beaulieu, Hampshire, Waiter
Louisa GILES Daur U 10 Beaulieu, Hampshire, Scholar
Joseph GILES Son 9 Beaulieu, Hampshire, Scholar
Samuel GILES Son 8 Beaulieu, Hampshire, Scholar

Source Information:
Dwelling Hill Top Royal Oak Public House
Census Place Denny Lodge, Hampshire
Family History Library Film 1341294
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 1203 / 113
Page Number 3
--------------------------------
and these IGI records.

Joseph Giles
B:22 APR 1806 Winterbourne Whitechurch, Dorset,
Ch:27 APR 1806 Winterbourne Whitechurch, Dorset,
M: 21 DEC 1830 Lytchett Matravers, Dorset
Wife : Ann Masterman
Children
1. George Giles
B:27 JAN 1833 Lytchett Matravers, Dorset
-------------------------------
Joseph Giles
B:22 APR 1806 Winterbourne Whitechurch, Dorset
Ch: 27 APR 1806 Winterbourne Whitechurch, Dorset

Parents:
Father: Joseph Giles
Mother: Sarah Austen
---------------------------
and Sarah Austen's details.

Sarah Austen
B:1774
D:APR 1859 Lytchett Matravers, Dorset
Burial:03 APR 1859 Lytchett Matravers, Dorset
Marriages:
Spouse: Joseph Giles Family
M:14 OCT 1799 Lytchett Matravers, Dorset

Kind Regards
Peter Euston

Pat English
07-07-2006, 8:04 AM
Thanks for all your efforts in answering my query, although I had posted that over a year ago, so I had found much of the info already since then. Although there were a couple of bits I had somehow missed on the IGI, so thanks for that.

A year is a long time in genealogy and I have now gone back as far as about 1620 in that particular Giles line, thanks partly to the Dorset Online Parish Clerks website.

I am still struggling a bit further back with the Poole, Stiles and Hiscock connections, but have everything from about 1750 onwards.

It's great to have this community of people all trying to help each other with their ancestry hobby. I must admit I sometimes browse counties I have no connection to, just to see if I can help people who have had no replies yet!

Best wishes,
Pat

steveinjakarta
15-11-2010, 2:40 PM
Hi Pat, this is my first post and would like to introduce myself. I'm Steve Smith and live in Jakarta, Indonesia. Like you, my ancestors are from Dorset & Hampshire. My GGrandmother was Louisa GILES (aged 10 on the 1881 census kindly posted by WaltonAus) who married Frederick William OLIVER. This is my Mother's maiden name.

I haven't got back as far as you on the GILES as trail goes cold after Thomas & Mary married abt 1730 of Pimpern. Their children were-1734 23 Sep Elizabeth dau of Thomas & Mary GILES Pimpern,
1738 4 March Mary dau of Thomas & Mary GILES Pimpern &
1743 12 Sep Thomas son of Thomas & Mary GILES Tarrant Hinton.
No baptism found for John GILES but I believe he is another son of theirs as there are no other candidates in Pimpern or Tarrant Hinton.
Tarrant Hinton Marriages, Dorset
1763 John GILES bachelor of this parish & Martha PAIN spinster of this parish married by banns Nov 13. Witnesses: Henry CAISH Richard HILL ........John born circa 1740. You say you have got back even further, I would appreciate any info you can give me on this.
On MASTERMAN I have Ann's parents and a sibling. I am trying to find out if there's a connection with the famous Dorset Sea Lord Thomas Masterman HARDY. His Mother was Nanny MASTERMAN dau of Thomas & Mary I believe. There are quite a few MASTERMAN's from Shapwick who may be distantly related but no one has really proved that as yet. If you would like more info on that I will gladly share it.
Kind regards
Steve