PDA

View Full Version : Lancashire Quarter Sessions Manchester

Ed McKie
27-01-2005, 7:06 AM
Hi all

I am trying to find if I can obtain details of a case at the Lancashire Quarter Sessions in Manchester- Easter 1873, when a Peter McKie (the same name as my grandfather, but I will say no more than that) was accused of Larceny and receiving. I am hoping that subject a record would have details of his place of birth etc.

However I am totally bemused by the number of different results I get on google as to how to establish where these records might be, before I can begin to get a copy.

Can anyone confirm if this would be GM Record Office or the Lancashire record Office ?? The LRO has one record regarding this, but it is only the bill of costs, what I am hoping for is perhaps a hearing transcript or something like that ?

Am I hoping for too much ??

Cheers..Ed

Peter Goodey
27-01-2005, 8:55 AM
"Can anyone confirm if this would be GM Record Office or the Lancashire record Office?"

Why not simply ask both of them? They're the only people who can provide the definitive answer.

Before doing it, it would be worthwhile checking A2A to see whether what you want is catalogued there.

Ed McKie
27-01-2005, 9:35 AM
A2a only mentions the one item previously mentioned. I had assumed that other quarter session records might exist, without having been fully indexed.

Cheers..Ed

uksearch
27-01-2005, 1:32 PM
If by Easter Quarter you/they mean the March Quarter Sessions,MCL has them.

UK

uksearch
27-01-2005, 7:24 PM
I wrongly gave the impression that MCL held the records for Lancashire Quarter Sessions 1873.They in fact hold the Manchester Quarter Sessions records...and dirty old things they are! I've just had a quick butchers at them.A record of Peter McKie did not jump out at me.Amongst other things the records contained a summary of the cases heard, listed by name, charge, plea and sentence.There were individual reports for each case which were mainly pre-printed with detail written in by the clerk and in a few cases witness statements.

UK

Ed McKie
28-01-2005, 1:22 AM
Found this on a2a- Heading says " Lancashire County Quarter Sessions "

Then underneath Manchester Easter 1873

So presumably the Quarter Sessions will be at LRO.

But will they have more than the item I found ??

Thanks for the lookup- it was very kind of you.

Cheers..Ed

uksearch
28-01-2005, 1:10 PM
If you have a look at the Lancashire Record Office web site it might give some idea
www.
lancashire.gov.uk/education/lro/
If not give them a ring,they are usually very helpful.

UK

Ed McKie
29-01-2005, 12:07 AM
thanks for the suggestion UKsearch, however have emailed them but have received no reply and it is a long way from OZ to phone :-)

Cheers..Ed

uksearch
29-01-2005, 1:08 PM
thanks for the suggestion UKsearch, however have emailed them but have received no reply and it is a long way from OZ to phone :-)

Cheers..Ed

YEP...not one of the smartest statements I have made.

UK