PDA

View Full Version : Family Tree Maker 2009 Plat Edition

Nai63
18-10-2008, 6:16 AM
Just opened my emails, only to find out my order for the FTM 2009 Plt Ed is now delayed from Amazon until mid Nov|banghead|

Has anyone else had the same problem??

I am abit miffed, as it is my birthday present for next week|jumphappy, and I was so looking forward to having to play around on the pc|jumphappy

Nai

v.wells
18-10-2008, 3:06 PM
You can order from familytreemaker.com online and download pay by cc. Then cancel with amazon.:)

MarkJ
18-10-2008, 3:11 PM
.... as it is my birthday present for next week|jumphappy

Mine too :)
Hoping for a weather station myself....

Mark

Nai63
19-10-2008, 6:33 AM
|birthday| for next week Mark|jumphappy

I managed to get to get from somewhere else, and it will be here on Tuesday:D Did email Amazon and ask why the delay, no reply, so I cancelled the order with them.

Weather Station next pressie, but for my hubby thou.

19-10-2008, 7:30 AM
As a registered user of FTM 2008, I obtained the upgrade to FTM 2009 direct from Ancestry (eventually).

Still most disappointed in the software. It still isn't a patch on the previous version, especially as regards chart production.

Graham

Nai63
19-10-2008, 9:25 AM
I have heard from a friend there is a number of issues with this software!!

One of the problems on buying these software's, one year's product is great, but the follow up being poor.

So it will be interesting to find out what I have in problems with this one!!!

19-10-2008, 1:45 PM
I have heard from a friend there is a number of issues with this software!!

One of the problems on buying these software's, one year's product is great, but the follow up being poor.

So it will be interesting to find out what I have in problems with this one!!!

Yes. Trouble with FTM 2008/9 (IMHO anyway) is that 2008 wasn't great in the first place :)

Graham

Darren
21-10-2008, 7:08 PM
Hi Cann't help with problem so wishing yohappy birthday instead
Darren

Nai63
29-10-2008, 7:20 AM
Hi Chisel,

I cant comment on creating the charts with FTM 2009, still getting to grips with using the system. But that was one of the reasons on buying this edition for creating the charts.

Chisel
29-10-2008, 7:41 AM
Yeah, it's the chart thingy that I need positive comment on. :confused:
Does the ancestor, all siblings fan chart work as it used to? The only example that I've seen for 2009 is where only the direct line is shown.

29-10-2008, 7:59 AM
Does the ancestor, all siblings fan chart work as it used to? The only example that I've seen for 2009 is where only the direct line is shown.

That's not a chart I would normally use but I've just had a quick look.

There doesn't appear to be an option of including siblings.

Graham

helena869
29-10-2008, 9:56 AM
I am way behind everyone and am still working with FTM version 10.

What attracted me to the new FTM was the different interface, it seems much more user friendly, with more available on the main page. Also I saw a screen shot of something called a "bow tie" chart which is right up my street.

However, the siblings chart is one I use the most, I only use direct ancestors in order to remember what I'm doing! (LOL)

I have a few parts of charts on ancestry and I really like the layout, it feels much better than what I have at the moment. Also, with ver 10 you have to keep scrolling to get to more than (I think) six children.

I know there's problems with the all new singing dancing FTMs, but are they better than the very old one that I've got?

salcat
29-10-2008, 2:45 PM
I am way behind everyone and am still working with FTM version 10.

Version 10!!!!! I've just looked at mine and it's version 7 from 1999 |blush|

But it still works, so though I keep reading about alternatives, I think I'd rather spend the money on certs and stuff (though I suppose I could ask Father Christmas :D)

Sally

helena869
29-10-2008, 2:59 PM
I still have my copy of V.7 :D I think I started with 5 and only ever got 7 and 10.

I could never understand why people got the updates every single time as it seemed like a waste of time forking out just for one or two extras.

Doesn't it drive you bonkers though having to scroll every time you want to see a sibling if there's more than a few children. It's my big peeve atm! :D

And I really do covet that bow tie layout!

Mary Anne
29-10-2008, 4:51 PM
All why I left FTM at version 16 and moved on to The Master Genealogist. Not for the faint of heart but I prefer the flexiblity it offers me.

Mary Anne

helena869
29-10-2008, 5:55 PM
All why I left FTM at version 16 and moved on to The Master Genealogist. Not for the faint of heart but I prefer the flexiblity it offers me.

Mary Anne

I downloaded the trial version of TMG and just can't get to grips with it at all. :(

I'm also a sucker for pretty software, though I do prefer that which works! :D

Rubina
29-10-2008, 6:03 PM
Must investigate these mentions of a weather station! Sounds like a good pressi for my other half! Any suggestions for which?

I hadn't thought about getting software for writing up myFamily tree but anything's got to be an improvement on my many pieces of paper.

Doesn't sem to be a consencus on this about which is best.... I will look them all up and put one on my wish list!

Rubina

Mary Anne
29-10-2008, 9:08 PM
helena869

TMG does take some learning. The flexibility of it means you have choices to make and that can be daunting. But then if you decide you made the wrong choice some time ago, it IS possible to change to the *new* method without much pain. The scary part is that I understand the logic of how it works. ;)

I like that it records and cites sources properly -- I am a scientist and this is important to me. I also like how it can make intelligible sentences and create a narrative report. Images can be stored in a totally separate file, instead of being embedded in your parent file and causing it to balloon uncontrollably.

There is a companion software that goes with TMG that does charting...aslo one that will automatically create a website from your existing data without a lot of fiddling.

TMG has a UK edition...I am just trying to figure out how to import the UK source templates to my US version |idea|

There is also a tremendously supportive user group online, and the folks who developed the software are always on there, as well as long-time users, offering advice, and asking their own questions about alternative ways of doing things. .

And, if you have already got a file that is in FTM or something else, all is not lost - you can import it all into TMG and then all it needs is a tidy-up. My tidying is a bit more complex than it otherwise might be, because I was abusing FTM and trying to make it do things it wasn't designed to do, like record substantive factual information in the "Location" box - so now I have to go back and transfer out all the info that is not location-related from the location fields.

On the other hand, some say that TMG is only for the seriously committed genealogist - or those who should be |5cups||angel|

Lesley Robertson
29-10-2008, 9:38 PM
I still have my copy of V.7 :D I think I started with 5 and only ever got 7 and 10.

I could never understand why people got the updates every single time as it seemed like a waste of time forking out just for one or two extras.

Doesn't it drive you bonkers though having to scroll every time you want to see a sibling if there's more than a few children. It's my big peeve atm! :D

And I really do covet that bow tie layout!

I've updated whenever they've added something I wanted, which means that I'm still using FTM2005 because one of the main reasons I like it is the "chart everyone in the database" tree which I'm told they've now removed..... It's great for a One Place Study!
I have tried Family Historian which they were selling as specially designed for the UK genealogist, but I guess I'm just too used to FTM.

Lesley

Mary Anne
29-10-2008, 11:54 PM
I hear from people who have been using FTM, as well as from people who are beginners to using software for genealogy, and they all seem to like Legacy, so if you would contemplate a move, it may be the one to make.

v.wells
30-10-2008, 1:00 AM
I use FTM 16 for charting and Legacy for error reports. The free version of Legacy is severely limited but I hope to be able to purchase deluxe edition soon. Hopefully over the winter I will have the time to leisurely play around with both.

Nai63
30-10-2008, 6:32 AM
I great when other folks can give their honest opinions on the other software out on the market. Very much food for thought, if I need to move to another programme at a later date.

Must admit having fun, just trying to get to grips with the latest edition of FTM lol But that is part of the learning experience.

Lesley Robertson
30-10-2008, 7:41 AM
I hear from people who have been using FTM, as well as from people who are beginners to using software for genealogy, and they all seem to like Legacy, so if you would contemplate a move, it may be the one to make.

If it doesn't produce "chart everyone" trees, there's no point in changing. FTM2005 does everything I want it to. There's a few clunky things, but I think that's true of all software.
Lesley

gailm
02-11-2008, 12:06 PM
I haven't got any family history software but looking as another birthday later this month. I have seen previous versions of FTM advertised. How far back do you need to go to get a good all-round version? I just want something to keep everything in order and produce some family tree charts. Any suggestions?

Lesley Robertson
02-11-2008, 4:59 PM
I haven't got any family history software but looking as another birthday later this month. I have seen previous versions of FTM advertised. How far back do you need to go to get a good all-round version? I just want something to keep everything in order and produce some family tree charts. Any suggestions?

Software selection is a very personal thing - it's a good idea to get some demos and try a few. As long as the one you choose can make gedcom files and you don't put photos in until you're sure you're staying wuith that one, you can easily move the data around.

I like my FTM 2005 - my brother got a very cheap copy in one of the computer shop sale bins. Don't be tempted by all the extra discs offered in some versions until you've check to see whether you actually want them.
Lesley

PS You can get a free programme called PAF from the LDS website which wil lget you going while you look around. Some people love it, I find it a bit clunky.

Chisel
05-11-2008, 1:55 AM

Ancestry have confirmed that inclusion of siblings in the fan chart is not available in the 2009 version.|moon|
Looks like the 2005 trial version is where I will be staying until that put the previous features back in the program.

helena869
05-11-2008, 4:13 PM
Thanks fro that about TMG Mary Anne.

Can anyone who uses TMG tell me what kind of charts I can have with the extra software? I really do want something where I can see siblings, and also I do rather fancy the bow tie chart I saw on the recent FTM. Is that available elsewhere?

I need to move from FTM I think because I am only really using it now to put details in for charts. The layout isn't conducive to all the things I want to do (as against what the programme allows me to do).

Mary Anne
05-11-2008, 7:16 PM
helena869

I have just been poking around on the Wholly Genes Support Forums. I was wrong about you needing extra software to do charts, sorry |oopsredfa

The Visual Chartform is included in TMG latest version and you can produce reports, and include siblings and so on. You can produce bow-tie charts and ancestor, descendant and hourglass box charts. Then you can have them printed on huge banners if you like by sending to Wholly Genes.

For a discussion, and illustration of some charts, including many that have been distilled so as to fit on 8.5 x 11 paper, see the Support Forum heading "Visual Chartform and Chartform Delivery" and see the most recent topic "Creative uses of composite TMG charts, Flexibility of VCF" by Mike Talbot. He has done some very nice looking charts using lots of photos, etc.

I haven't yet used this feature, but the more I see the more I like the look of it.

Mary Anne

helena869
06-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Mary Anne - thanks so much. :) I have joined the support forums and will have a wander around, but I think this may be the way to go :)

bettyk
20-01-2009, 5:29 PM
I have used FTM for over 20 years & highly reccommended it until now. Last year when FTM 2008 came out & allowed BC dates I bought it & transferred from my older version of FTM. After spending time entering File #s & Ahnentafel #s which didn't transfer, I suddenly discovered that in the process the Fact titles had been indescriminatly switched. I only realized this when I noticed my live & well son had been CREMATED. This was changed from 'Degree'. Education changed to Residence, Residence>Religion, Religion>Property, etc. I have over 13,000 people in my file, Iam not going to investigate each one. Therefore, I will be returning to the old version (until I can find a better program) since FTM will not replace mine with FTM 2009 since I registered a few days too late. Of course, I don't know if FTM 2009 would not do the same thing.