PDA

View Full Version : CHIDGEY family in Somerset

topaz
26-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Hello all,
I am a newcomer to this site, but have requested info. on various other sites with regards to this name - to little avail!

The family I am interested in lived at 'shells', a cottage which was and still is in the area of Washford Cross. My ancestor Robert Chidgey, lived there from the 1840s into the 20th century.
I have the usual census information from 1851 on but if anyone could provide any information earlier than this, or perhaps some general information with regards to this area in the 19th century I would be extremely grateful.

Caroline

holc
08-02-2006, 3:40 AM
Hello Caroline,
I am also new to this. I see you are interested in the Chidgey family of Somerset. My family of HOLCOMBE of the Somerset area of St Decumans, are also connected to the Chidgey family. I was wondering if you possibly have come across any of their names?

John Holcombe bapt 1752 married Jane Chidgey in 1781 at St Decumans.

His son John Holcombe bapt 1785 in St Decuman's Somerset, also married a Mary Chidgey 8th Sept 1805 at St Michaels Bristol, Gloucester.

Regards,
Hazel

topaz
08-02-2006, 6:49 PM
Hello Hazel,

The names you mentioned do not appear in my branch of the Chidgey family tree. However, if I do come across any information relating to them, I will of course, pass it on to you.
My Chidgey's lived in the St. Decumans area from the C17th to the early C20th, so it is possible there could be a connection somewhere?!

Caroline

Fulhamster
08-02-2006, 8:21 PM
Hi Topaz!
I often got to Somerset where I have lots of freinds and family. The name CHIDGEY is still quite common there. I know that only a few years ago there were Chidgeys at Spaxton, near Bridgewater. It may be worthwhile looking for them in local directories. Good luck!

topaz
08-02-2006, 8:57 PM
Hi Fulhamster,

Thanks for the advice,
since my initial post here I have had quite a lot of success with the Chidgey's of St. Decuman. I have been very lucky to be in contact with a wonderful lady (who is researching the same Chidgey branch as myself) who visits Taunton record office and checks records for me.

My ancestors and their descendants lived in a cottage in the Washford area, from 1841 to until the 1970s and I have a lovely photograph of the cottage as it is today - sent to me by the present owner.

Caroline

Kevin Chidgey
11-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Hi Caroline,
I am a new visitor to this site. I live in Sydney Australia. My wife Liz and I have been researching Chidgey for over 30 years. We wrote a book on the Chidgeys in Australia in 1984 and there is a copy in the Taunton library. We have extensive different trees so far unconnected and are interested in your Robert Chidgey. There are about 20 Robert Chidgeys on our index so to try to find the one you have I need a bit more information such as a second name or his father or brother or his date of birth. Can you help with that?
Best wishes
Kevin & Liz

Kevin Chidgey
11-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Hi Caroline,
I have found your tree. Please contact me at kchidgey(AT)bigpond.com
Best wishes
Kevin

tintin
12-02-2008, 8:08 AM
Can anyone help I’m looking for relative or info about the Chidgey family from north petherton, Charles Chidgey & Mary Cox, George, william, John, Leonard & Thomas. Charles & Mary were cousins. Born around 1890 Charles in North petherton and Mary in Southampton.

Sandra06
20-09-2008, 6:15 PM
Hello Kevin, I'm interested in the book you wrote about the Chidgey family
Can it be ordered online, can you help?? I'm also interested to learn if you have
been able to get details of professions and perhaps even photos/paintings of some
of the family members. My grandfather was Adrian Thomas Chidgey and his father was Thomas
Chidgey, as was his father his father before that! - I know that one of the Thomas Chidgey's was a ship owner and also a painter - I believe some of his paintings are in Watchet or Dunster museum. He painter a self
portrait of himself and one of my Uncles who lives is Williton, Somerset has that painting. Anyway, interested to learn more about your research and book.
Sandra Chidgey

Sandra06
29-09-2008, 1:57 PM
I'm indebted to Kevin Chidgey (Australia) who has a fantastic array of records for over 100 lines in the Chidgey family. He has my family and it dates back to approx 1770 A William Chidgey and his wife Margaret. I have checked with records and confirm their children were baptised and born in Old Cleeve in 1792 and 1798. I'm now trying to find the birth date of William Chidgey around 1770 but
only found one record in 1757 that I think might not be him.
I wonder if anyone has any records in this region that might link to this person.
Thanks for any help.

Ann_Cestor
13-12-2008, 5:46 AM
Hi all

My great grandmother married a William Henry Simons, whose mother was Ann Chidgey of Williton. Ann Chidgey married William Hale Simons of St Decuman's. I have researched their parents too. Did you know that the parish records are on line? They were very helpful for me to trace the family members back. Although it get tricky when some have the same names. I will contact Kevin to see if he has any information which would be useful to me.

The Simons family were tailors.

I would love to make contact with any of my living relatives in Williton, Watchet and surrounding areas.

Ann

nippyblue
11-04-2009, 9:37 PM
Hello Kevin, I'm interested in the book you wrote about the Chidgey family
Can it be ordered online, can you help?? I'm also interested to learn if you have
been able to get details of professions and perhaps even photos/paintings of some
of the family members. My grandfather was Adrian Thomas Chidgey and his father was Thomas
Chidgey, as was his father his father before that! - I know that one of the Thomas Chidgey's was a ship owner and also a painter - I believe some of his paintings are in Watchet or Dunster museum. He painter a self
portrait of himself and one of my Uncles who lives is Williton, Somerset has that painting. Anyway, interested to learn more about your research and book.
Sandra Chidgey
Artist Thomas Chidgey 1855 - 1926.......I am related through my great great grandfather Robert J Nicholas (Captain Bob) 1859 who maried Elizabeth Ann Chidgey. I Have a painting that Chidgey did of Robert's Bristol Channel Pilot cutter No49....'Lizzie'
I am just working on coppying the Chidgey family across to my family tree from someone else's.....both of us in Genes Reunited.
Would very much like to get a photo of the picture of the artist that your uncle in Williton has. I am in N Devon so not far to go to visit Please email me a contact number/address to

nippyblue7 AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk
Dennis

Ann_Cestor
13-04-2009, 3:41 AM
Hi

I am related to the Chidgey family of Watchet, details later, but for now - I've not seen anyone mention that the parish registers are on-line. I came across this piece of luck a good while ago which enabled me to trace my relative's ancestors back a short way.

Do you already know this or do you want the URL of the site?

Sandra06
13-04-2009, 8:45 PM
Hi Ann, No I didn't know that - would love to have the url for the various registers/churches online in Somerset. I only found some records from the Old Cleeve church. I was lucky to find one more link back to 1749 - but now I'm stuck. Will be grateful for your link info.
Meanwhile, just wanted to let you know that Kevin Chidgey, Australia, who has researched over 100 Chidgey family trees over the past 30 years has just launched a Chidgey Association/website. On the site you can review all the family trees, see photos, stories, discussion forum and so it. It has helped to reunite many people from all over the world - you can see Kevin's info on this above or please send me a message if you would like more information.

Audrey Crook
15-04-2009, 5:40 PM
Hi I am new to the site but interested in the Chidgeys of Watchet my mother was a Chidgey. I have found a brilliant book Called Tales of Watchet Harbour by W H (Ben) Norman. Alas the author died last year but his wife still lives in Watchet and is a nice lady.

In the book it mentions the Chidgeys as Mariners also the artist Thomas Chidgey and has some of his paintings.

On page 135 is a painting of the Thomasina and Mary.

On the night of Sunday April 7th 1861 (that years census) 4 of my relatives spent the night at sea on board her.

I know you can get the book from the library.

Ann_Cestor
20-04-2009, 8:27 PM
Hi

The URL of the West Somerset transcribed parish record site is below:

www.wsom.org.uk/Parreg.html

Parishes are in alphabetical order.

Good hunting!

Love Ann x

Audrey Crook
23-04-2009, 6:36 AM
Hi Ann thanks for the info on parish records I have spent hours on it and its fascinating.

HELP!!!!

can any one tell me if they recon all the differant spelling of Chidgey (ie Chedgey, Chedzy, Chidzy, Chedzoy, Chedsy.) are because a lot could,nt read and write or were they differant family names, and how to tell the differance. Love Audrey.

Ann_Cestor
26-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Hi

When I get a moment, I'll post the URL of a site belonging to a Chidgey who has given all the spellings of Chidgey and a historic record of its changes from way back.

Am I a mine of information or what?? lol

Love Ann x

Ann_Cestor
26-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Hi Audrey

What's the URL of the Kevin Chdgey Website please??

Love Ann x

Audrey Crook
28-04-2009, 8:25 AM
Hi Ann here is the info you wanted.

kchidgey AT bigpond DOT com

Procat
28-04-2009, 8:27 AM
Hi Audrey,

that is actually an email address - not a web site. :)

Audrey Crook
28-04-2009, 8:29 AM
Hi Ann, you certainly have been a mine of information the last site (parish records) was brilliant I have spent hours on it and am still looking.

Regards Audrey.

Audrey Crook
28-04-2009, 8:31 AM
Sorry procat, I am still on up on the jargon for computers, What does URL mean.

Procat
28-04-2009, 8:40 AM
Hi Audrey,

URL means Uniform Resource Locator. :D

Basically, all it means is the address where something can be found on the internet.

For example, the URL for the Brit Gen Forums is:

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/

whereas the URL for the UK National archives is:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

An email address on the other hand is in the format of [email protected] - and given that is a fake address the spammers can copy it all they like.

You can see that they look completely different and clicking on an email address will not take you to an internet page. However, if you copy a URL into your browser address bar (at the top of the page) and hit the enter key you will be taken to an internet page.

Hope this helps - and that has just about exhausted my knowledge. :)

Audrey Crook
28-04-2009, 7:08 PM
Hi Ann hope this time I have it right.http://sites.google.com/site/chidgeyassociation/

I had to open a free google account and I can now get on the site when I want to.

I also had to fill in an aplication form to join the Chidgeys.

Hope this is what you want if not if you get in touch with Kevin at the email address I gave you he will tell more.

Audrey Crook
28-04-2009, 7:13 PM
Thanks Procat it was very helpful, I wish computers were around when I was young, unfortunatly at my great age I forget more than I learn.

Procat
29-04-2009, 8:09 AM
I think that forgetting is the prerogative of us all Audrey. :)

Audrey Crook
29-04-2009, 4:43 PM
Hi, I think I am getting carried away a bit but I dont know when to stop,

I have a relative Mary ann Searle 1824 Who married a David Parmenter late 1800s. I can trace his family forward to modern times to the presant day.

NOW that could put up to 50 people on my tree who I dont know if they should be there as I havent got the foggiest idea if they are long lost relatives or only Mary and David.

How do others draw the line PLEASE HELP.

Kevin Chidgey
01-05-2009, 12:25 PM
H Doug,
Yes we have launched a new web site but it is only open to members of the Association. It cannot be viewed by all. Audrey has become a member and therefore has access. You are welcome to become a member if you wish just email us or Audrey for an applcation form. Regards
Kevin & Liz Chidgey

nippyblue
01-05-2009, 8:25 PM
Hi Kevin and Liz
Please would you repeat the process for joining the society. I have just canceled the payment I made via PayPal to the wrong address. It was someone else that told me the details but now I can't find the details of the joining process.
Dennis Nicholas (Great Grandfather Capt Robert Nicholas 1860 who married Elizabeth Ann Chidgey)

Procat
02-05-2009, 4:33 AM
H Doug,
Yes we have launched a new web site but it is only open to members of the Association. It cannot be viewed by all. Audrey has become a member and therefore has access. You are welcome to become a member if you wish just email us or Audrey for an applcation form. Regards
Kevin & Liz Chidgey

Hi Kevin & Liz,

Thanks for the offer but Chidgey is not in my tree.

I was just trying to help Audrey out with computer jargon. :)

nippyblue
03-05-2009, 8:38 AM
Hi, I think I am getting carried away a bit but I dont know when to stop,

How do others draw the line PLEASE HELP.

When the computer is full up and you have piles of DVDs also full up:D

Audrey Crook
03-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks Dennis, That is certainly going to keep me busy for the next 40 years.

Have you managed to join the society through Kevin??

Ann_Cestor
04-05-2009, 2:36 AM
Hi Audrey

I meant the Website address not email address, as I already have that.

Ann

Audrey Crook
05-05-2009, 7:37 AM
Hi Ann its on post 25, I did it as soon as procat told me the differance.

Ann_Cestor
11-05-2009, 1:18 AM
Hi Audrey

Just followed the link and got the Google request for registration, so that counts me out, I would never give my email addy to a site like Google!

The Chidgeys will have to do without me. I'm not strictly a blood Chidgey anyway, it was my gt gmother's first husband.

Thanks anyway

Ann

nippyblue
15-05-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi Kevin and Liz
Please would you repeat the process for joining the society. I have just canceled the payment I made via PayPal to the wrong address. It was someone else that told me the details but now I can't find the details of the joining process.
Dennis Nicholas (Great Grandfather Capt Robert Nicholas 1860 who married Elizabeth Ann Chidgey)

Hi Kevin
Doing this message through B-G as you do not seem to be getting my direct emails either as new emails or as replys to emails I get from you!
I am getting your emails ok but you do not seem to get mine. I have sent the joining forms twice, once as an attachment on a reply and once as an attachment on a new email but you do not appear to have them. I have in the past had a problem with a couple of particular email providers, to other people, blocking emails from my provider Yahoo.
Dennis:confused:

sylvia109
16-05-2010, 5:24 PM
hi mary
my dads name was thomas chidgey and he had a brother john chidgey known as jack chidgey. as far as i know charles chidgey and eliza mary chidgey (nee ridgeway) are my ancestors.

Biccy
04-08-2010, 1:47 PM
Benjamin Chidgey b 1803 of Williton, Somerset
married Annis Hake b1810c
Anybody know the parents of Benjamin?

sft456
13-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Hi Caroline,
I am a new visitor to this site. I live in Sydney Australia. My wife Liz and I have been researching Chidgey for over 30 years. We wrote a book on the Chidgeys in Australia in 1984 and there is a copy in the Taunton library. We have extensive different trees so far unconnected .....?

Hi
I wonder if you can help us. We also have an ancestor called William Chidgey. According to the 1841-1881 Census in England he was b variously between 1785-1791 Minehead, Somerset. He m Elizabeth Hollister (of Keynsham) 31/8/1822 St Philip & St Jacob Church, Bristol, d 1882 Bristol City Workhouse 1882 (aged 97) He may possibly have been the son of William & Margaret and bap 5/8/1792 Old Cleeve (though his age at d would assume b @1785?) He was recorded as William Chedzoy on 1881 C and d record. We also know nothing about his wife Elizabeth (though she could have been the dau of William & Jenny. W Chidgey had an affair with a Rebecca Newick in 1824 and Henry was b. He was bap Henry William Chidgey Newick and the rest of the tree became Newick (rather than Chidgey) (no legitimate children being b to William & Elizabeth)

Any assistance would be most welcome
Simon

carriePrice
02-01-2011, 6:39 PM
hello! my paternal grandfather was called leonard chidgey, i think he passed away in 1998 ish, he had 1 daughter (linda)and 3 sons (stephen,martin and jeff) before he and my grandmother divorced and he went on to re-marry and have more children. my grandmother re-married also and changed the childrens surnames. leonard had 10 grandchildren from his children with my grandmother,sadly non of which he met before he passed away.id love to learn more about my biological paternal family too, but i think its quite a large network so im not sure how close i could get xx

Sandra06
28-11-2012, 7:46 PM
Hello Simon
I wonder if we have a match and link between our family tree.

I have a copy of family tree (CHIDGEY) and it dates back to approx 1770 A William Chidgey and his wife Margaret. I have checked with records and confirm their children were baptised and born in Old Cleeve in 1792 and 1798. I'm now trying to find the birth date of William Chidgey around 1770 but
only found one record in 1757 that I think might not be him as this person would only have been 13 years old (although maybe back then it was possible to get married this young??).

Ref the "William Chidgey" in your tree - what date of birth and location do you have? As it is two years since your entry - Have you had any luck looking at the local parish records?? Thanks for sharing any update. Much appreciated. Sandra

sft456
27-12-2012, 1:31 PM
Hello Sandra

I have replied before but only to the email, not to this site (my error)

Very nice to hear from you. I have rather given up on my FT, since coming up against a proverbial brick wall and finding no help from others. Our William Chidgey (sometimes Chedger as in 1841 C) was I think b @1791 in Minehead (location he gave, I think, in the 1851 C) possibly bap 5/8/1792 at St Andrews Church, Old Cleeve, Somerset, son of William & Margaret? she b @1770 OR bap 1/4/1798 Old Cleeve. Below is the first record I have of him and his family:

1841 Census 1 Wardrobe Place, Bedminster, Bristol St Pauls HO107/ Piece 376/ Book: 1/Folio: 34/ Page: 18

William Chedger (Chidgey) 50 b 1791 Minehead? bap 5/8/1792 at St Andrews Church, Old Cleeve, Somerset, son of William & Margaret? (she b @1770) (sister Elizabeth? bap 1/4/1798 Old Cleeve) Urban labourer m 31/8/1822 St Philip & St Jacob Church, Bristol d Sep qtr 1882? Bristol City Workhouse (aged 97) (as William Chedzoy) (ie b @1785??)
Elizabeth (nee Hollister) 40 b 1800? Keynsham, Somerset? (dau of William & Jenny Smith?) d Jun qtr 1862 (Bristol 6a 31) or Dec qtr 1868 (Bristol 6a 19)? (aged 68)
Henry 17 b 24/1/1824 Bristol bap Henry William Chidgey Newick 19/3/1837 at St John’s Church Bedminster, Shop Boy m (1) Mary Ann Roberts 27/9/1846 St Marys Church, Redcliffe, Bristol, (she 1824-1871), m (2) Katherine Ann Evans 5/8/1883 St Martin-in-the-Fields, Westminster (she d 15/10/1898 Bedminster dau of William Hooper & Catherine Peterson) d 18/9/1888 Bedminster
William Pow 7 b @1833, Glos?

Elizabeth, I think was unable to have children so Henry was the result of an affair between William and a Rebecca Newick (who also resided in Wardrobe Place in 1823) My mother's family then became Newick.....not Chidgey....sort of branch line!

William appeared in the 1851-1881 C all giving varying dob ie in 1851 (60) 1861 (72) 1871 (84) and in 1881 (96) He d Sep qtr 1882 aged 97? as Wiliam Chedzoy) according to BMD and the Workhouse Record. Elizabeth d in 1862 OR 1868 (haven’t purchased her d Cert) Henry d 18/9/1888 in Bedminster, Bristol

I have been unable to go back any further than @1823, though I have recorded many possible parents for William…..nothing concrete, but he must have belonged to someone!

How am I doing? I would be interested to know how your tree descends

Regards, Simon

bexx
29-12-2013, 3:35 PM
Hi All,

Im unsure if this thread is read anymore but I am a descendant of the Chidgey line

Rebecca

davidmitchell
11-01-2014, 2:23 AM
This thread for the CHIDGEY family in Somerset is how I found British-Genealogy.com last month. People here have been very helpful. I hope by posting on this thread that even more will see what I am working on and perhaps be able to help.

Harriet Emma Chidgey, my wife's grandmother, was probably born in Williton in 1879. In the 1891 census the family lived in Bristol and her father's occupation was tailor. My wife remembers her grandmother saying her father, was a tailor. Harriet married John Smith in England. They moved to America and settled in Bakersfield Kern Co CA USA. Interestingly, some of Harriet's siblings and a nephew also settled in Bakersfield. American federal census records for 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940 show John Smith's middle initial as "H." I have not found a John H Smith in records in England that I can connect to Harriet Emma Chidgey. I have, however, found marriage and baptism records in St Pancras London England connecting John Linford Smith and Harriet Emma Chidgey. My wife's father, one of their three sons, was John Linford Smith. I want to determine who was the correct John Smith and find his ancestors.

davidmitchell
27-03-2014, 4:17 PM
Laura Valentine (Chidgey) Hughes Scott b 14 Feb 1877 Williton Somerset England d 11 Jan 1963 Bakersfield Kern Co USA was one of Harriet Emma (Chidgey) Smith's two sisters. Laura married Albert Henry Hughes in Bristol in 4th qtr 1903. They subsequently immigrated to America...Albert in 1903 based on John Linford Smith's immigration form and Laura in 1905 per US Federal Census. Believe Albert (and Laura?) lived in New Castle Pennsylvania in 1905. Their first child Mary b 1907 Ohio USA. Second child Robert b 1908 and third child Elizabeth "Bessie" b 1909, both New Mexico USA. 1910 US Federal Census this family of five lived in Oklahoma City OK. 1920 US Federal Census Laura married to John Walter Scott living in [Bakersfield] Kern Co CA with Robert and Elizabeth, but not Mary, listed as children. John d 1 Dec 1954 and Laura d 11 Jan 1963; both buried in Union Cemetary Bakersfield CA USA.

davidmitchell
27-03-2014, 4:45 PM
The 1871 England & Wales Census lists grandson Frank Chidgey an unemployed tailor age 20 born [1851] in St Decumans. This information is a match for the father of Harriet Emma Chidgey et al. Also living with him on Long St Williton Somerset are grandson Henry Chidgey age 11, grandson Thomas Chidgey age 9, lodger Emma Jenkins age 47, son Peter Chidgey age 43, daughter-in-law Sarah Chidgey age 48 and head [grandfather] Francis Chidgey age 76.

geneius
28-03-2014, 12:03 AM
For reference John ( H) Linford SMITH, Harriett Emma CHIDGEY b 1879
http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php/80734-John-H-Smith-England-to-USA

Chidgeyd13
12-01-2015, 10:27 PM
Can anyone help I’m looking for relative or info about the Chidgey family from north petherton, Charles Chidgey & Mary Cox, George, william, John, Leonard & Thomas. Charles & Mary were cousins. Born around 1890 Charles in North petherton and Mary in Southampton.

I am a Chidgey living in Morth Petherton, traced my family back to the names you mentioned using marriage records and family records.

davidmitchell
13-01-2015, 8:42 PM
Harriet Emma Chidgey was my wife's grandmother. She was born in Bristol in 1879. Harriet's father was Francis "Frank" Chidgey. He was born in Williton in 1851. His father was Peter Boswell Chidgey. Is there a connection here to your Chidgey family?

Audrey Crook
14-01-2015, 6:39 PM
My mother was a Chidgey from Watchet, I have managed to trace her tree back to C1671 hopefully as far as I know it is correct. Alas I have never seen anyone on here who could be related to my family so havent been on for a while.

Looking through my records which was every chidgey I found in the parish records Peter Boswell Chidgey 20 03 1828 had a brother Horatio 18 03 1830. Good luck in your search.

davidmitchell
14-01-2015, 7:57 PM
Audrey,

What was your mother's full name and her date of birth? Who were her parents? Is your Chidgey family tree information on Wikitree or Ancestry.com? I would be happy to share my information with you.

Dave

Audrey Crook
15-01-2015, 10:54 AM
Hi David,havent done anything on my tree for ages until this thread cam through on my email, forgot what I was missing. I was with Ancestry and the family reunited sites but it started to get expensive so let my membership run out. You will find my tree on both of those sites under Audrey Crook.
Slightly misled you yesterday my mother was a chidgey but she was born in Greenwich, her father Arthur was born in Charlton London, Her Grandfather in Bridgewater and her Gt Grandfather in Watchet. She never forgot her roots and always talked of Somerset.
If you find the tree I hope its of use to you, if not get back to me I have a lot more information, but the tree was a help as I am not very logical and its all over the place. Regards Audrey.

bexx
15-01-2015, 11:44 AM
YAY managed to remember my credentials.

Hi Audrey,
My grandfather was a Chidgey and was born in Bristol, my great-great-great grandfather was born in Liverpool.

My ancestry username is Rebecca_grant87, I do have my tree on other public websites but don't have them with me to hand,

Is your username on ancestry: AVogelpohl ?

bexx
16-01-2015, 7:47 AM
I did a search on Arthur Chidgey 1887 and wife Sarah Sutherland and if you look for a user called SandraPattern21 she has Arthur and Sarah with two children May Elizabeth Chidgey 1911-1930 and Gertrude Juila Betty Chidgey 1917-1978

Audrey Crook
16-01-2015, 4:10 PM
Hi my user name on Ancestry was motherwolf11. is the user SandraPattern21 on here or ancestry. I still get confused on a pc I would love to get in touch with her as she is the only one who seems to share my tree. Thanks for the info.

bexx
20-03-2015, 10:11 AM
On Ancestry, she has called her family tree Proudfoot Family Tree, her version goes back quite deep and she has some photos of Arthur, Sarah, May & Gertude and some of Arthurs siblings

bexx
20-03-2015, 10:31 AM
On Ancestry, she has called her family tree Proudfoot Family Tree, her version goes back quite deep and she has some photos of Arthur, Sarah, May & Gertude and some of Arthurs siblings

Arthurs brother Frederick Chidgey (1889-1968) daughter Lillan K Chidgey (1916-1989) photo appears in several other trees such as barbara_melhuish, yamr666 and darlybaker11

I also found this on Arthur: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/6216680

davidmitchell
02-05-2015, 10:24 PM
Geneius. A new mystery. I have been contacted by Lesley James in the UK who says she is a great-granddaughter of Emma and Frank Chidgey, same as my wife. And...she believes Emma's maiden name was Halland rather than Oland. I have found and ordered a copy of the marriage certificate for a Frank Chidgey and Emma Halland 1872 3rd qtr Bridgwater volume 5c page 621. I'm not convinced this Frank Chidgey is my wife's great-grandfather. Lesley says her line goes back Lesley Dyer-Philip James, Margaret Wareham-Thomas Dyer, Ernestine Dyer-Frederick Wareham, Alice Rose Chidgey-Robert Wareham, Emma Oland/Halland-Frank Chidgey, Elizabeth (unknown)-Edward Oland [looks like great- great-granddaughter to me]. I have not found a census, birth record, etc. for a Emma Halland that also fits with the other information. Dave

geneius
03-05-2015, 7:39 PM
Hello David

According to the GRO records Frank CHIDGEY married Emma HALLAND in 1872 Bridgwater Somerset.

The 1881 census under the name CHIDGERY shows Emma born 1851 Exford Somerset.

I cannot see her on the 1871 census however on the 1861 census there is a family
RG 9; Piece: 1606; Folio: 90; Page: 18
OLAND Edmund 34 Labourer Exford
OLAND Eliza 33 Dressmaker
OLAND Elizabeth 11
OLAND Emma 9 Exford
OLAND Edmund 6
OLAND Eliza Ann 3 married in Australia

The name is variously spelt as Hollan / Olland / Oland / Oldlan. If the enumerator listened & spelt what he thought he had heard! So it is likely that Emma HALLAND is actual OLAND as shown in the 1861 census

The Marriage registrar spelt what they thought had been said. You will only know when you receive the certificate and note the father's name!

I cannot see a Emma HALLAND b 1852 Exford Somerset in the 1861 / 1871 census.

other reference to family https://www.british-genealogy.com/threads/80734-John-H-Smith-England-to-USA

Jx

tag8080
06-05-2015, 2:30 PM
Could you please tell me if you have a Jane Chidgey that married a John Billett on 07th of November, 1790 in Somerset, England in your book? And, if you do, I also need her date of birth and where she died and when. Any help you can give be I would be truly grateful. My family research is on the Billetts but, I love to fill in the blanks when I do research.
Thank you, Terry Edington Greene USA

geneius
06-05-2015, 4:01 PM
Hello & Welcome,

You may need to wait for David Mitchell to return to the site , I have no interest in the family other than as a UK based forum researcher.

If you click on his name you will see that you will be able to send him a PM

davidmitchell
06-05-2015, 5:40 PM
The closest I have is Jane Chidgey born 1792 Watchet Somerset England. Sorry.

davidmitchell
14-05-2015, 3:56 PM
Just received email with certified copy of an entry of marriage solemnized 5 Aug 1872 St Mary's Church Parish of Bridgwater Somerset for Frank Chidgey 21 bachelor tailor resident of Bridgwater father Peter Chidgey mason and Emma Halland 21 spinster [no rank or profession noted] resident of Bridgwater father Edward Halland steward. In addition, it has This marriage was solemnized between us, Frank Chidgey and Emma Halland, and In the presence of us, William Dare and Mary Louisa Redman. All entries, including what appear to be lines for signatures, are in the same handwriting. Hope the certified copy coming by snail mail shows a signature by Emma including her last name as the bottom portion of what I received appears to be cut off.

bexx
16-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Hi Terry, do you have any other information about Jane and John other than their marriage date? Maybe some info on John?

where did you get that jane and john where married from? did they have any kids? do you know who their parents were or siblings ?

do you go under the username of: RoseSavage58 on ancestry?

bexx
16-06-2015, 12:53 PM
Hi Terry, do you have any other information about Jane and John other than their marriage date? Maybe some info on John?

where did you get that jane and john where married from? did they have any kids? do you know who their parents were or siblings ?

do you go under the username of: RoseSavage58 on ancestry?

I have found a user called LeslieCardien (Scott Family Tree) who has a massive Billett family tree I searched for Chidgey and viloa came across John Billett and Jane Chidgey with 8 children.

Here is Janes info from her family tree:

Birth About 1771 in Staplegrove, Somerset, England Death January 1847 in Taunton, Somerset, United Kingdom

Marriage to John Billett 1790 7 Nov Age: 19 Kingston St Mary, Somerset, England
Residence 1841 Age: 70Kingston, Somerset, England
Death 1847 Jan Age: 76 Taunton, Somerset, United Kingdom

Jane and John also appear in other family trees with te same info between them user names below:
suetomkinson139 (Craddock Family Tree) no maternal parents
Maryb541 (parsons Family Tree) - has a father called george and the mother is set to private
wheelersunnyside (wheeler Family Tree) no maternal parents
davidberry26 (BERRY FAMILY) no maternal parents

davidmitchell
09-01-2017, 6:17 PM
New information relating to Francis "Frank" Chidgey born Jan 1851 St Decumans Somerset England and died 14 Jun 1928 Bakersfield Kern Co CA USA. He is listed as the father in three birth registrations in Kern Co CA USA and the maiden name of the mother is Smith on each of them. The 1940 US Census has Gladys [Elizabeth Smith Chidgey] Bonenso as mother of Mary E Chidgey 17, Francis J Chidgey 16 and (sic) Thresa Chidgey 14. Gladys was born 20 Feb 1905 CO USA and died 6 Aug 1969 South Laguna Orange Co CA USA.

davidmitchell
11-01-2017, 9:53 PM
New information relating to Francis "Frank" Chidgey born Jan 1851 St Decumans Somerset England and died 14 Jun 1928 Bakersfield Kern Co CA USA. He is listed as the father in three birth registrations in Kern Co CA USA and the maiden name of the mother is Smith on each of them. The 1940 US Census has Gladys [Elizabeth Smith Chidgey] Bonenso as mother of Mary E Chidgey 17, Francis J Chidgey 16 and (sic) Thresa Chidgey 14. Gladys was born 20 Feb 1905 CO USA and died 6 Aug 1969 South Laguna Orange Co CA USA.

I was wrong! After reviewing the information relating to Percy Chidgey and Francis Chidgey it seems clear that Percy Oland "Frank" Chidgey the son, not his father Francis "Frank" Chidgey, fathered Mary Emma Chidgey, Francis Joseph Chidgey and Violet Theresa Chidgey with Gladys Elizabeth Smith in Bakersfield Kern Co CA USA. The 1925 Bakersfield city directory has Chidgey Percy O janitor and the 1927 directory has Chidgey Frank P O (Gladys) janitor The father in the three birth registrations I mentioned before is Frank Chidgey. Both father and son used the name Frank.

bexx
10-07-2017, 6:12 PM
Hi all
I was searching ancestry in the library and I found a user I cant remember hes id (I will edit if I remember tomorrow) had reuploaded the scans in 2016 I uploaded on to my family tree and put it into his it would be nice if he told me, so I would like to know the connection with my grandfathers side

His family tree is llwellyn/banes

whast the connection to chidgey .... ?

The only thing i noticed was that llwellyn (if I have spelt it right) roots are in bristol ...

I have noticed that he has done the same with alot of other scans as well I think he user name is bobbanes something?

bexx
11-07-2017, 6:40 AM
so the user is : bobbarnes2003 and I cant look at their profile but I can still see the family tree and pictures that they have uploaded.

Some family members from his tree:

Father: Alexander J barnes B:1881 D: 1957 married to Catherine F Trinder B1884 D 1977
Son: Albert M Barnes B:1903 D:1967 married to Marjorie G Llwewllyn B:1920 D:2003 2 kids (1 son and 1 daughter) but they are private
Sister: Violet M R Barnes B1916 D1975 married to Edward J A Stayte B1911 D 1994 1 daughter but private who married and had 2 sons 1 of which is married to a wife who has a 3 brothers 1 which is called Wayne Pink B:1964 D:1981 Waynes parents are private but his dads side parents are Leslie James Pink B1912 D1940 Kathleen E Page B1908 D1995

So Wayne Pink also appears in a Mills family tree submitted by Celia Mills in 2014

geneius
11-07-2017, 7:58 PM
David

Birth registration

CHIDGEY, FRANK mmn JENKINS

GRO Reference: 1851 M Quarter in WILLITON Volume 10 Page 573

Marriage Peter Chidgey to Sarah Jenkins 1850 Williton v10 p927

Frank's children from the gro index

CHIDGEY, WALTER JOHN mmn OLAND
GRO Reference: 1873 J Quarter in WILLITON Volume 05C Page 350

CHIDGEY, LAURA VALENTINE mmn HOLDEN
GRO Reference: 1875 M Quarter in WILLITON Volume 05C Page 335

CHIDGEY, ALICE ROSA mmn OLAND
GRO Reference: 1877 S Quarter in BEDMINSTER Volume 05C Page 715

CHIDGEY, HARRIET EMMA mmn OLAND
GRO Reference: 1879 M Quarter in BRISTOL Volume 06A Page 33

CHIDGEY, HENRY THOMAS mmn OLAND
GRO Reference: 1886 S Quarter in WILLITON Volume 05C Page 301

CHIDGEY, GILBERT EDWIN mmn OLAND
GRO Reference: 1889 M Quarter in BARTON REGIS Volume 06A Page 71

CHIDGEY, PERCY OLAND mmn OLAND
GRO Reference: 1890 M Quarter in BRISTOL Volume 06A Page 21

Leave you to work it out!

Jeanx

davidmitchell
19-12-2017, 8:34 PM
Who is she? On the 29 May 1913 arriving passengers list for the "Majestic" from Southampton to New York she is Elizabeth Ann Barrett age 54 born Ledbury England going to bro mr j smith 827 8 st bakersfield ca. She is traveling with Frank Chidgey age 59 born Williton England going to son mr g chidgey 1101 11th st bakersfield ca. On the 21 May 1913 UK outward bound passengers list for the same voyage she is Elizabeth Anne Barrett h'wife age 33 traveling with Frank Chidgey tailor age 59. On 1911 England & Wales Census living at same address in Bristol are Elizabeth Ann Barratt single age 58 born Chipping Sodbury and Frank Chidgey married age 60 born Williton.

davidmitchell
23-12-2017, 5:25 PM
More information. In the 1913 and 1914 Bakersfield City Directories, the occupant of 1101 11th St listed is john h smith brkmn sante fe and the occupants listed for 301 A St are Gilbert Chidgey [son of Frank], Frank O Chidgey [Percy Oland "Frank" Chidgey, son of Frank] and Frank Chidgey. Found no listing for 827 8th St. If Elizabeth is a sister to John Linford/Henry Smith b 1883 then she is a previously unknown daughter of John Linford Smith b 1808. He was a tyre smith in the railroad shops and may have been employed at some time somewhere on the line to Bristol which went through Chipping Sodbury and not far from Ledbury.

davidmitchell
23-12-2017, 10:32 PM
And a correction. The correct year of birth for John Linford Smith, the possible father of Elizabeth, is 1849. His father of the same name was born in 1808.

There is a birth registration for an Elizabeth Ann Barratt Apr-May-Jun 1882 Pancras London. The right time period and the same area of London where John Linford Smith b 1849 lived with his family. Perhaps Elizabeth and her mother then moved to Chipping Sodbury and/or Ledbury. Lots of guesses and no real proof of anything.

davidmitchell
26-12-2017, 11:59 PM
On the 1913 Majestic passenger list, Elizabeth Ann Barratt is going to her bro j smith in bakersfield. If this is true her half-brother is probably John Linford/Henry Smith, my wife's grandfather, and if so Elizabeth's father is John Linford Smith of St Pancras who worked for the railroad. My current best guess for Elizabeth's mother is Mary Ann Barratt born about 1861 in Uxbridge who at age 20, per the 1881 Census, was a household servent in Uxbridge which is about 2.5 miles from the London Bristol railroad line (near Heathrow airport). Have found nothing indicating Elizabeth reached Bakersfield but there are many Elizabeth Barratt's elsewhere in California soon after 1913. Or, Barratt could be Elizabeth's married name.