PDA

View Full Version : Railway Tavern Wadhurst Sussex

dogaholic
14-10-2008, 4:20 PM
My ancestor was Innkeeper of the Railway Tavern on the 1861 & 1871 censuses. Does anyone know if it still exists? I can't find any reference to it on the internet. Maybe the building still exists but now has another use? On the 1861 census it appears to be next to Rock Hill Cottage and on the 1871 is after the Castle Inn and Fox in the Wood.

G.V.Ford
14-10-2008, 8:04 PM
It's been a while since I went down that road but if the Railway tavern was the pub directly opposite Wadhurst station my recolection is that the site was redeveloped 5 or 10 years ago and is now a small housing estate. I may be wrong and the pub (which I am sure had shut down) might only be surrounded by houses.

Regrets,
Geoff

dogaholic
15-10-2008, 2:46 PM
Thanks Geoff, shame its (probably) not there any more. I'll have to look for an old photo or postcard.

Davran
15-10-2008, 3:07 PM
The Francisfrith website has 12 old photos of Wadhurst. No mention of the pub, but they might be of some interest to you. :)

dogaholic
16-10-2008, 2:00 PM
The Francisfrith website has 12 old photos of Wadhurst. No mention of the pub, but they might be of some interest to you. :)

What a fascinating site! I have saved it in My Favourites and will definitely be referring to it again. Many thanks. :)

Peter Goodey
16-10-2008, 3:26 PM
Try the Rock Robin pub or the Four Keys Motel. They have the same postcode as the station (subject to mapping software errors :))

emma@esh
25-10-2008, 6:52 PM
I think the Rock Robin was the Railway Taven. The original pub was set further back from the road, knocked down and rebuilt, and then recently demolished again for housing. I have seen several photos online of it though.

benny1982
26-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Hi Dogaholic

Have you tried looking him up in Trade Directories? This can give an idea of when he became the innkeeper and when he left, either through handing in the license or death.

The tavern was probably used by many thirsty railway workmen.

Ben