PDA

View Full Version : Parfery/Parfrey from Cambridgeshire.

Steve C
12-10-2008, 7:45 PM
Although I am researching three families I would particularly like to hear from anyone who has information on the Parfery ( sometimes also spelt Parfrey ) family from Cambridgeshire.

Apart from Edward Parfery (1832 - 1902) who married Ellen Mary Ward (1833 - 1922) in December quarter of 1852 and their subsequent children I know very little information.

I am struggling to find a birth for Edward or where he originated from. It says on his marriage certificate to Ellen that his father was William Parfery deceased.

It would be great to hear from anyone who also has an interest in this family.

Many thanks in advance Steve

janbooth
13-10-2008, 11:38 AM
According to most of the census records Edward states that he was born in Livermere, Suffolk which according to Genuki is 5 miles north east of Bury St Edmunds. So far the earliest I can trace him is in the 1861 census of Walpole St Peter, Norfolk (RG9/1050, folios 38/9, pages 6/7):

Edward PARFREY Head Mar 30 Ag Lab Suffolk Livermere
Ellen do Wife Mar 28 Norfolk Walpole St Peter
William do Son 7 do do
Sarah do Daur 5 do Watton
Herbert do Son 3 do Emneth
George do Son 9 months do El?

However, I have looked through the 1841 census of Livermere Magna and Livermere Parva and in the latter there is definitely a William PALFREY:

HO107/1014/2, folio 3, pages 7/8
Rymere Cottage

William PALFREY 35 Ag Lab Born in county yes
Sarah do 35 yes
Elizer do 12 yes
George do 10 yes
Mary do 8 yes
Sarah do 6 yes
William do 4 yes
Henry do 2 yes
Maria do 1 yes

On folio 5, page 12, there is an Edward PALFREY, aged 65, Ag Lab, a George PALFREY, aged 25, Ag Lab and a Susan PALFREY, aged 25 all born in the county. This seems quite a coincidence given that your Edward gives his place of birth as Livermere and his father's name as William on his marriage certificate and that there is an Edward in the same hamlet of the correct age to perhaps be the father of William. Could the enumerator have transcribed Edward incorrectly as George or could he perhaps have been baptised as George Edward or vice versa.

By the 1851 census of Little Livermere, George and Susan are still living there (HO107/1791, folio 467, page 18) transcribed as PALFREY with presumably father Edward (no relationship shown only the fact that he is a Widower), aged 77, born Honington, Suffolk. William and Sarah are also still there (HO107/1791, folio 469, page 22), he aged 49, born Little Livermere with children George aged 20, Maryann 19, Henry 15, James 8 and Maria 2.

Whoops, bang goes that theory as in the 1861 census of Little Livermere, William & Sarah are still alive and kicking, as is son George.

Right, another theory - could Edward have been the illegitimate son of one of Edward snr's daughters?? Apart from the marriage certificate there does not appear to be any corroborative evidence that your Edward was the son of a William PARFREY. I think the only way you are going to resolve this problem, is to consult the parish registers of Livermere. Unfortunately, the LDS microfilm stops at 1812 so will be no use to you. I have also looked through the 1841 census of Pakenham which is where Edward says he was born in the 1891 census and no joy there either. Have you found Edward on any census prior to the 1861??

Sorry not to be of more help.

Janet

Steve C
13-10-2008, 6:48 PM
Hiya Janet,

Thankyou very much for your reply and the comprehensive details enclosed. You`ve been a great help and confirmed information I found previously but discounted them as I felt I was veering off in the wrong direction, I couldn`t understand or believe all the coincidences of names and dates also found it difficult to accept Palfery could be Parfery! So I stopped there and placed my post

He married as previously mentioned in 1852. It states he was of full age and living in Walpole St Peter. So where was he in 1851?????

I can not find Edward before the 1861 Census either. Intriguingly, I found the mention of Fakenham on a LDS listing for Edward Parfery, I naturally thought Fakenham in Norfolk as this is only about 18 miles away from where I live. Further research highlighted a Fakenham Magma which is just to the right of Little and Great Livermere and literaly a stones throw away. So are we on the right track with Palfery family in Livermere, Suffolk ?

Like you mention, perhaps a look through the parish registers for Livermere at the Suffolk Record Office is the obvious solution to our questions?

I have a trip to March library this week to search newspaper records to find an obituary for George Parfery ( my Great Grandfather ) one of Edwards sons. Followed by a trip to Norfolk Record Office next week to search church records for a burial for George`s wife. So its going to be at least two weeks before I can visit Suffolk Record Office.

Thanks again Janet for your keen interest in helping me resolve this long standing conumdrum.:)

Steve

janbooth
14-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Hello again Steve,

I think the further one delves back into parish records, the less one is surprised by name changes. So much depends on how literate the people supplying and recording the information were. So many records are spelled phonetically and when you add to that equation local dialects and poor literacy it is hardly surprising at the variation in the recording of names.

Perhaps the reason we cannot find Edward prior to his marriage is that he was illegitimate and was baptised in his mother's name but then she married sometime prior to the 1841 census and he was then listed under her married name - just another thought as this has occurred in my own research.

I think looking at Livermere and the surrounding parishes are your best option and good luck in your search. If you do find your missing Edward, do let me know.

Janet

doriscindy
01-04-2009, 8:40 AM
I saw your interest in PARFREY.
I have a William Parfrey married to Sophia CRAFTS in 1808.
Their children were William James, Thomas Henry, Frederick, Hannah, and Mary who married Samuel Tether in 1838.
Marry & Samuel's daughter Emma Sophia TETHER married John PAYNE 1864. They had three children, one of whome, Sarah Ann Payne was my grandmother.
Any connection?
Regards, Doris.

Steve C
01-04-2009, 5:36 PM
Hello Doris,

None of the names combined with the dates you list are familar to me unfortunately.

I notice from your post that you are from North Somerset. If the people you list also originate from North Somerset then I would suggest that there is no connection.

The Parfrey family I`m trying to trace came from Cambridgeshire although there is suggestion that Edward Parfrey the oldest of the family I am researching may have originated from Suffolk although this information has yet to be comfirmed.

Thanks very much for your interest Doris, much appreciated.

Steve

doriscindy
02-04-2009, 9:29 AM
Dear Steve
Thanks for your reply. All my Parfreys seem to have come from the Deptford/Rotherhithe area but it was worth a shot with such an unusual name.
Regards, Doris.

Pat_L
17-01-2010, 7:31 PM
I saw your interest in PARFREY.
I have a William Parfrey married to Sophia CRAFTS in 1808.
Their children were William James, Thomas Henry, Frederick, Hannah, and Mary who married Samuel Tether in 1838.
Marry & Samuel's daughter Emma Sophia TETHER married John PAYNE 1864. They had three children, one of whome, Sarah Ann Payne was my grandmother.
Any connection?
Regards, Doris.

Doris, I'm researching Parfreys of London and found a William Parfrey and Sophia, who had children Hannah Mary (1815-1816) and Mary Ann (1817-) A BMD entry for a Mary Ann Parfrey, gives one spouse name as Samuel Tether. I am hoping this is the same family you have mentioned.

My London Parfrey research is a spilling over of investigation of Norfolk Parfreys, followed by Somerset/Gloucestershire Parfreys, in hopes of finding a connection. But I only just began this line of questioning, so could use some help. Do you know where William is from, or who his parents are?

Thanks, Pat