PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever thought of publishing their Success Stories?

benny1982
07-10-2008, 6:05 PM
Hi

I have wondered if anyone would ever consider publishing their success stories, maybe to the press, or to managzines to help boost the confidence of other people and help them in ways of overcoming their own brickwalls?

I have thought about publishing mine to the press, ie, to one of the famous Family History Magazines or FHS societies.

If any of us are interested in doing this, I am sure there probably are genealogy magazines and societies that would be willing wouldnt anyone agree?

Ben

cirstybewick
09-10-2008, 1:38 PM
hello

what a brilliant idea you have!!!

i have one brickwall i have un-covered but wouldn't be able to publish it as there is living people in-volved,

cirsty

Colin Moretti
09-10-2008, 5:57 PM
Most, if not all, family history societies are only too pleased to publish articles relevant to their own areas of interest - there will be no payment, of course.

I think that magazines normally use commissioned articles although they will consider unsolicited material so it's always worth trying. Look carefully at the types of article that they publish, their length, and the styles of writing then write yours in a similar manner. Before including illustrations (eg, certificates, census returns, etc) think about any copyright issues involved, most material is supplied for your own use only and may not be reproduced without permission and even if permission is granted you may have to pay a fee for the privilege.

Colin

benny1982
10-10-2008, 8:19 PM
Hi

Yes I would like to produce a few images with the success stories but I had better not do as this may be due to copyright laws.

I have a few success stories to publish.

Ben

Nicolina
11-10-2008, 12:03 AM
If you have a success story like mine, no one would believe it. It has all he hallmarks of a best selling work of fiction. The lies my 2nd cousin was told and those that my grandmother told me, it's amazing that we ever uncovered the real truth. There are still mysteries (secrets) that we may never uncover but finding a 4xGreat Grandfather who died aged 102 and a 3xGreat Grandmother (his daughter) who lived to 104 after seeing off 2 husbands and having 4 legitimate and 6 illegitimate kids has made all the hard work worth while.
Maybe one day we will write the story but for now I need to dig up more dead people (as my long-suffering husband says)