PDA

View Full Version : IGI Batch #s

Ken Boyce
07-10-2008, 5:31 PM
I happened to read the IGI sticky and note that the implication is that only extracted records carry batch numbers

I'm not sure that this is correct as I have come across submitted records with Batch Numbers

Regards

CanadianCousin
07-10-2008, 7:11 PM
Hi Ken,

You're quite right, submitted records do have batch numbers, but these begin with a different letter than the extracted records. You may want to look at this explanation (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/%7Ehughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm) on Hugh Wallis' Web site.

HTH -

Tim

racing girl
08-10-2008, 1:06 PM
Hi All
I also have a question about the batch numbers so I'll tack it on here.

I've read through the information about the batches on the Hugh Wallis site and I've also followed the links he gives and have also read the info there about the batch numbering system.

I have a relative in North Hill in Cornwall who married twice, both in North Hill, in 1726 and 1729. Both his marriages are in the same batch, and it begins with a capital I, that's i (eye) not one!, and I can't find anywhere that explains what's in a batch beginning with an I. It's a mixed batch of marriages and christenings and it seems quite an early one, there's an entry there from 1571 and it appears to go up to about 1750ish and all the entries are for North Hill. There's no extra info as to whether it's extracted or user submitted. How can I find out what this batch is?

The batch number is I 028939. Whereas, according to Hugh Wallis, the North Hill batches are : C023492 1750-1772 / E052951 / C052951 1630-1750 / M052951 1555-1837

Peter Goodey
08-10-2008, 1:42 PM
I can't find anywhere that explains what's in a batch beginning with an I.

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17787

JustJean
08-10-2008, 1:56 PM
I seem to recollect finding a similar circumstance not awfully long ago where I found a batch number that was unusual from what I previously understood to exist. Of course I can't repeat the finding of it now!! I love it when the mind fails |oopsredfa Anyhow....the Family search website tells us that an 'I' prefix represents "Index". https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/IGI_Batch_Number_Descriptions
I'm afraid an expounding on that explanation will have to come from elsewhere!

Best wishes
Jean

CanadianCousin
08-10-2008, 3:08 PM
I tried Googling and found some recent RootsChat threads dealing with 'I series' batch numbers [urls removed - please use your search engine] including contributions from Guy Etchells (a regular contributor to these forums). There appears to be some disagreement about whether the 'I series' are submitted or extracted - I suggest that you read through the posts and draw your own conclusions. However, it does appear that you may be able to confirm the source film number of the records by contacting the London FHC, if that's any help.

Good luck -

Tim

Peter Goodey
08-10-2008, 4:33 PM
There is also some debate here-

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/soc.genealogy.britain/search?group=soc.genealogy.britain&q=%22I+batch%22

I think the thread here on B-G Forums that I mentioned before is fairly informative.

racing girl
08-10-2008, 4:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone, all of the links to the threads (I've read them all now) have been very informative. It seems my best way to identify what this batch is would be to contact the London FHC by email and see if they have any corresponding file information.

Brenda

Brian Turnbull
13-01-2009, 11:15 PM
I have found a baptism on IGI for 1826 at Bishopwearmouth, Durham that only gives the Batch number of C020597 and no other information as to Source call etc. I have tried to search on IGI using the batch number without success.
Has anyone else had this problem or know what can be done to get more information?
Brian Turnbull

Mary Anne
14-01-2009, 2:42 AM
Brian

If there is a C in front of the batch number, it should be Christenings, so it should be extractions from parish registers.

Have a look a the Library Catalogue for Bishopwearmouth. I typed in "Bishopwearmouth, Durham" and got listings for the resources they had. I think the film you want may be this one -- parish register transcripts for the Church of England, Bishopwearmouth - Baptisms 1756-1921 - FHL BRITISH Film [ 91084 ]. Check with your local Family History Centre.

Mary Anne

Brian Turnbull
19-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Mary Anne, thank you for your advice I have checked and there are indeed listings for the parishes I need to look at. I will be contacting my local LDS family history centre when they are up and running after the summer break.
Brian

Mary Anne
20-01-2009, 4:09 AM
Good luck!

Mary Anne

(P.S. wish it was "summer" here! We're in for another bout of minus 25 degrees!)

kermie62
20-01-2009, 4:15 AM
well it was 43 here last week and over 35 most days so I will swap you so heat any day U want

Red Kite
16-05-2009, 4:28 PM
I have found a baptism on IGI for 1826 at Bishopwearmouth, Durham that only gives the Batch number of C020597 and no other information as to Source call etc. I have tried to search on IGI using the batch number without success.
Has anyone else had this problem or know what can be done to get more information?
Brian Turnbull

I'd like to repeat this question, as I've found a couple of baptisms with the batch number C042798 and no source call number - all I know is that it's Birmingham.

While it's not too much trouble to find the source if it's a small place like Bishopwearmouth, there are so many possibilities in Birmingham that I haven't a clue where to go from there. Can anyone advise please?

Red Kite
21-05-2009, 7:29 PM
Just nudging this up in hope of some advice .....

Kerrywood
21-05-2009, 11:26 PM
You can try emailing LDS and asking them. Sometimes they tell you, sometimes they don't. It may depend who you get on the day ;)

Kerrywood

Red Kite
21-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks, will try that. I just wondered if there was a way to find out through the site itself.

Kerrywood
21-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Not as far as I know :(

JAP1
22-05-2009, 6:43 AM
Hi All,

For a start, just to say that - as far as I am aware - the wonderful Hugh Wallis IGI batch numbers site hasn't been updated since ca 2002.

Both before and (perhaps especially) since then, many many batches starting with an 'I' (and some starting with 'C' or 'M') have been added to the IGI BUT (usually) without any indication of the source of the batch. And sometimes with location names which are very obviously wrong (I guess it just takes the first entry to be typed by the data entry person with the wrong location and this will then be "filled down" for the whole batch).

I've spent many many hours over several years trying to elicit from the LDS information about these batches and why they have no source information (both as a matter of general interest and because one such 'I' batch includes the christening of my grandmother in Sheffield - she was born in Barrow in Furness. I'm sure it is correct and is extracted - but ...) I'm afraid that, sadly, the search for an explanation (i.e. of I, C & M batches without source information) has been one of my major 'brickwalls'. I suspect that the LDS people one contacts really want to be helpful but that they themselves can't find out the explanation from the LDS people in authority. Even LDS members who run big LDS Family History centres don't seem to be able to get an explanation.

This is not a criticism of the LDS - just my experience in this particular instance. Where would we genealogists be without the wonderful work of the LDS |bowdown|

Some correspondence on other forums & mailing lists has been mentioned earlier in this thread (#6 and later). Anyone who checks these out will no doubt find my name (JAP) appearing all too frequently. :) So I won't repeat anything here. But I'm more than happy to help if I possibly can.

Kindest regards,

JAP

Jane Elderfield
29-07-2009, 10:46 PM
... the wonderful Hugh Wallis IGI batch numbers site ...

Speaking of Canadian Hugh Wallis, do you know he is the Online Parish Clerk for Stoke Damerel, Devon, and has a fascinating story of his Devon shipwright connection?

http://ca.geocities.com/[email protected]/whyme.htm

--Jane