PDA

View Full Version : Help to find what ship John Thomas Manicom was on, please?

Tinker
07-10-2008, 5:29 PM
The facts are as follows:
-John Thomas Manicom ran away from home (Devon) aged 16, in 1862, intending to immigrate to Australia.
-about three months from the start of the voyage, the ship was wrecked off the coast of Natal, South Africa, and John decided to go no further.

Is there any way I could find out the name of the ship he was on, using this info? I have no idea where to start looking for Australian-bound ships. (I presume John would be travelling in Steerage.)

babygirl101
07-10-2008, 7:10 PM
Not sure whether this is of any help, but it might be worth a look:-

http://www.theshipslist.com/index.html

BG :)

Waitabit
07-10-2008, 7:54 PM
Try here also.

SHIPWRECKS Oceanchief, 1862 Flying Mist, 1865 Brig Prince Albert, 1862 ... SOUTH AFRICA SHIPWRECKS EUROPE bb011 Public Record Office, London, England: National ...

www.immigrantships.net/newcompass/ships/ship_files/shipwrecks.html - 17k -
:)

Tinker
08-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks for those leads, Babygirl and Waitabit
I'm off to have a look, now. I'll keep you posted!

Tinker
08-10-2008, 1:21 PM
Well, I've had a look at those sites and several others, and I've, sadly, had to eliminate all three vessels you mentioned, Waitabit, BUT all is not lost! I found a website for someone in South Africa who runs what looks like a shipwreck exploration/salvage business, and have emailed him asking if he had any idea which Australian-bound ship/s might have sunk off Natal circa 1862. At worst, he won't bother to reply, at best he'll be able to give me the names of a few possibilities, so here's hoping....!