PDA

View Full Version : Jewkes/Jukes or not that is the question?

apowell
03-10-2008, 6:12 AM
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help.

I have traced my Great Grandmother Sarah Ann Jukes born 1873 Dudley who married Edward Homer in 1890. That made perfect sense then|banghead|. I obtained the marriage certificate and it stated Sarah's father was Samuel Jukes occupation baker (I was already aware her mother was Sarah Ann).

Fine and dandy away I went looking for a Samuel who married Sarah Ann around the 1850's but couldn't find any matches|banghead|. However after much searching I found William Jewkes married Sarah Ann Brown in Dudley 1858. I researched further and found them living with Sarah's parents Mary and William Brown with 2 girls Phebe and Mary A Jukes 1861 census.

In the 1871 census Sarah Ann Jewkes is living with her mother and children but no William Jewkes. However I found him living with his mother Mary nearby.

This is when it gets tricky on the 1881 census Sarah A Jewks is living again with her mother and 3 children Mary A, Joseph and Sarah A (my relative) but no William Jewkes? However a Samuel Dakin has popped up on the scene born 1836 (Castle Donnington),widower, Occupation Baker (hmm I wonder). This Samuel seems to be more than a boarder because he appears with Sarah A Jewkes on the 1891 and 1901 census.

I can't trace William Jewkes from 1871 onwards to find out if he was the father of Sarah Ann and Joseph. On the 1871 census Sarah Ann states she is a widower (could be a error) but on the 1881, 1891 and 1901 census she states she is married?

Any ideas before I |banghead|,|5cups| and |computer|

Adrian|biggrin|

janbooth
03-10-2008, 8:48 AM
Adrian,

If you have not already done so, I suggest you obtain Sarah Ann's birth certificate. There is a birth registration on FreeBMD for a Sarah Annie JUKES in the June qtr 1873 at Dudley registration district, vol 6c, page 91. This should at least clarify who was her father or perhaps if she were illegitimate.

Janet

apowell
03-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Hi Janet,

I did obtain that birth certificate you mentioned but it wasn't correct.

Many thanks
Adrian

Peter Goodey
03-10-2008, 1:01 PM
I did obtain that birth certificate you mentioned but it wasn't correct.

Bit cryptic, Adrian. I don't dispute what you say but it might help if you mentioned why it wasn't correct.

Peter Goodey
03-10-2008, 2:35 PM
PS

I've certainly seen the scenario you described before - ie the marriage cert showing the forename of a stepfather (or similar father figure) coupled with the child's surname.

Have you considered Sarah Ann JEWKES 1873 Dec Dudley 6c 158 ?

apowell
03-10-2008, 3:24 PM
Hi Peter,

Oops sorry I was in a rush when I wrote the last reply.

The birth certificate states Sarah Annie's Father and mother:
James Jukes (coal miner).
Catherine Jukes (formerly Marsh).

Address:
6a Prices Road, Gornal Wood, Sedgley, Dudley.

I know my Sarah Ann Jukes lived at Providence Street, Horseley Heath, Great Bridge (1901 census) and was married to Edward Homer. Also on the same street is living Samuel Dakin and Sarah A Jukes (her mother) with Sarah A Homer (her Granddaughter).

Sarah was her mothers name not Catherine.

Hope this makes sense.
Regards
Adrian

apowell
03-10-2008, 3:35 PM
Hi Peter,

Thats a good idea I think you may have struck gold because I have seen the spelling Jewkes used before by the family. Silly me I've only been looking at the spelling Jukes|oopsredfa.

Well spotted I'll order it today and let you know.

Take care
Adrian