PDA

View Full Version : Colour Sergeant, Royal Marines

Dannemois
02-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Can someone please help with the following with ref to the Royal Marines:

How long would it have taken to reach the rank of Colour Sergeant?

Colour Sergeant on land, temp master sergeant at sea. What was the meaning of this.

LSGC Medal: What assessments are needed to achieve the award

Thanks in advance
Roy

Geoffers
02-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Can someone please help with the following with ref to the Royal Marines: How long would it have taken to reach the rank of Colour Sergeant?

How long is a piece of string? - But likely to have been several years.

Colour Sergeant on land, temp master sergeant at sea. What was the meaning of this.

The RM mostly served at sea and came under Navy Regulations; when they served on land they came under Army regs. I don't believe there was a rank of Master Sgt in Army, so presumably he was given the equivalent.

LSGC Medal: What assessments are needed to achieve the award

It varied over time, initially 21 years, I believe it was reduced to about 10 years in the 1870s and then icnreased to (15?) years later.

Dannemois
02-10-2008, 3:11 PM
Thanks for that Geoffers, much obliged
Roy

stan.ventura
28-11-2008, 3:45 PM
Roy, the LSGC ( Long Service & Good Conduct ) Medal was given after 14 years of good service, and regarding how long it takes to become a C/Sgt well it does vary from individual to individual, it took me 19 yrs.
Regards Stan.

Dannemois
30-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Hello Stan
Thanks for your message, it is nice to talk to an actually ex-colour sergeant. The guy I am researching, started out as a boy bugler in Chatham Division in 1928. Amongst other ships he was on the Warspite during 1938-1940 and from what I have read was involved in some incredible action. I am assuming that whilst at sea he would have been a gunner?

I hope you don't mind me asking some questions.

What was the role of colour sergeant?
Being a bugler/drummer would he have played in a band?
I know what the abbreviated term means "HBL MNBDO" which is on his service record but can you explain what it meant to person?

Your help would be much appreciated

regards, roy

stan.ventura
01-12-2008, 1:48 PM
Hi Roy, I am not sure I can give you a compleat answer to your question, but I will try.
What was the role of a C/Sgt, well this has changed over the years, but he would have been the Sergeant Major of the detachment, depending on the size of the Ship, or he could have been a TQ ( Store Man ) This person would have been in charge of all the store & ammo for the ships detachment.
If he was still a bugler in the Corp on the ships, they have a differeant roll, all the callīs on bourde would have been done by the Bugler, but this would not of been done by a C/Sgt!!! and yes he would of played in the Corp Band.
Now we come on to a different kettle of fish, MNBDO well this stand for Mobile Naval Base Defence Organisation. I am sorry that I can not go into what this means, however I have given you a site to go into, and I am sure ths will give you the answers you are looking for.

Regards Stan

http://books.google.co.uk/books?1d=j...um=5&ct=result.
http:/www.exeterfloilla.org/histor...rm/part2.html

Dannemois
02-12-2008, 9:57 AM
Thanks for your time Stan, I am most grateful for the information.

regards, roy

GeorgeF
22-02-2009, 3:00 PM
Roy,
In looking through the RM pages I note that you made an enquiry about CSgt's RM. I note that you have already been given a few answers (the details I agree with) however I thought I would drop you a line to see if you got to the bottom of your problem. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

JA "George" Forster
former Corps Regimental Sergeant Major, Royal Marines

Dannemois
23-02-2009, 2:51 PM
Hi George
Thanks very much for your message regarding my query on the role of a Colour Sergeant. I have made some strides into my research in as much I have the marines service record and from that made a search of the ships he served on but I still haven't been able to work out what was his particular role when on board.

A few questions you may be able to help with:

What the abbreviated term "HBL MNBDO" realy meant to my man who was in Chatham division.

What training would he have done at Deal and Plymouth

Regards
Roy