PDA

View Full Version : To Encourage those with Brick Walls

Dorset Girl
02-10-2008, 3:35 AM
This is a (reasonably long) tale of the mystery of the death of my mother's brother in 1942. He was killed during the war and whilst my grandparents had a picture of his grave there was a lot of speculation as to where he was killed.

According to his wife's second husband (long tale as my grandmother did not even attend her son's wedding,) my Uncle was supposedly lost in the Bay of Biscay and was serving aboard HMS Egret sloop at the time of his death. She was struck by a glider bomb on 27th April 1943 which exploded her magazine. There were no survivors.

This did not agree with the War Graves Commission records, according to them he died on the HMS Zetland, so I have been hunting for the answer for over 40 years.

I wrote to the Royal Navy History Museum as there was a diary kept by one of the officers on board, they kindly searched the diary for me but couldn't find a reference to my Uncle.

I had since googled Egret and Zetland into oblivion and found nothing of any consequence. One day I came across a reference to a book which detailed the mustard gas attack on the HMS Zetland and other ships on 2 Dec 1943. At the bottom of the piece the author said "I am a member of the RBL and Poppy Appeal, Organiser for Scarborough, a member of the RNA, George Cross Island Ass. and an Honorary Citizen of Valletta."

Nothing ventures - nothing gained - I took a punt checked the UK telephone directory and there was someone with the same name as the author living in Scarborough! So I rang him - as we all do!! I ascertained he was the gentleman who wrote the book and advised him I was trying to unravel a mystery concerning the death of my Uncle George. After some discussion he felt that my Uncle was the person who was killed by schrapnel from a shell that exploded when it emerged from the gun turret.

He could not remember the incident thoroughly but offered to contact a friend of his in Wales to see if he could remember. Long and tall of it - I got in contact with Bob in Wales who gave me all of the details concerning my Uncle. He even sent me a photograph of the ship as well.

(It seems there were two turrets at the rear(stern) of the ship - the Y turret on the lower deck and the X turret on the upper deck. A shell exploded from the Y turret and the schrapnel hit some of the seamen but it struck my Uncle in his head. From his memory he could see him lying in the galley? way and he did not stand a chance/did not last long.)

So for those of you who keep |banghead||banghead| - NEVER give up! Sooner or later there will be a glimmer of light - it may not be this week or even this year - and it may not be a train at the end of the tunnel - but if you keep on |banghead| against the brick wall eventually you will make a hole in it!
Marion

(Sorry if this is so long - one of my problems is verbosity apart from a very sore head!)

Marion

Waitabit
02-10-2008, 5:05 AM
BRAVA Marion, Well done you....just shows there ARE people 'out there' who know things & will help in our quests.

If we all count our Blessings (while we still can), we'll see them multiply.

Of course you now have to put all this into your Family File.....just goes on & on don't it?

|biggrin|

Diane Grant-Salmon
02-10-2008, 5:17 AM
Hi Marion :)

A sad story, but it's wonderful that you managed to find out the truth at last, about your Uncle. I'm not surprised that you count this as a great success story.

Off topic, but by coincedence, I have just received an email from a new contact, who was born in Australia and she has written, I took a punt as you have! I guessed that punt = chance and your post confirms this. ;)

Dorset Girl
02-10-2008, 5:39 AM
If it just persuades only one other person to take the bull by the horns and make the phone call then it will have been worth putting all down. We get so many "knock backs" in our searches that at times I think we all get a little downheartened and think we will never find the answer.

The author didn't know me from a bar of soap but was so helpful - and so was his friend.

Yes - it's all been documented (a lot longer than the thread of course) with all the phone no's, photos etc) and now I feel that my family are more at peace with the mystery solved - silly I know as they are not here to share it all!

Glad you took your punt as well Dianne - "faint heart" etc - sometimes we just need a little extra push!
Marion

Waitabit
02-10-2008, 11:59 PM
Yes - it's all been documented (a lot longer than the thread of course) with all the phone no's, photos etc) and now I feel that my family are more at peace with the mystery solved - silly I know as they are not here to share it all! Marion

|angel|

'And you know this because..? ' Who do you think kept pushing in the right direction ..?

I think you've made a lot of people happier. ;)

Have one for Uncle George!!

susan-y
03-10-2008, 12:42 AM
Marion..

It's stories like yours that give us all the boost we need some days.

Thankyou

And...Way to go|biggrin|

Sue

v.wells
03-10-2008, 1:00 AM
Marion..

It's stories like yours that give us all the boost we need some days.

Thankyou

And...Way to go|biggrin|

Sue

Terrific for you Marion to have found out the truth!:D

the prospect of cold calling makes me weak in the knees and expensive from here to the UK, but I may have to just bite the bullet now!

Dorset Girl
03-10-2008, 2:11 AM
Vanessa,
Two things - number one you need something like Skype - we've used it for some time now - and our phone bills have reduced and it's extremely cheap to call other countries. The idea of VOIP (voice over internet) is well worth looking into if you are hoping to contact several people and don't want huge phone bills. I have a cousin in Canada who I can to speak to an hour or so at a time - and because she has the same system it costs us absolutely nothing!
(The cousin is also another success story but will leave that for another day).
The second thing is - you have absolutely nothing to lose. If you start off by explaining this may be a bit of a strange call, you are not selling anything (this usually intrigues them enough to keep listening) and then gently explain you have been working away on your family tree etc. Try and keep it shortish so they don't get bored but give them just enough information to keep them interested.
Since my own calls I have now done this for two sets of people in Australia along(and one of them involved 40 names in the local directory) - not once did anyone put the phone down - and most of them even suggested to ring someone who was not in the phone book.
So - gird thy loins etc - and go for it. If they say don't want to know - you won't have lost anything but personally I think it is a crime not at least to try - it could be just the large hammer for that brick wall! (looks for hammer smilie) |jedi|
Good luck - and let us know when you have taken the plunge!
Marion

Dorset Girl
03-10-2008, 2:15 AM
Wendy - you are probably quite right - I hadn't thought of it like that but I know my Mum and she would have been there with the checker flags out!!!!!
Sue - thanks - I am now keeping my digits crossed that we will see some more posts here saying they have plucked up courage to ring - and hopefully some more success stories!
Marion

zane
03-10-2008, 5:58 AM
so it took forty years um......... so maybe I have only another 37 years to go for one of my many brick walls :D

dawn/karen
03-10-2008, 6:59 AM
dorset girl? where you earwigging my phone call the other day? lol that is exactly how i went about my call to try and get info, which im still waiting on the man replying tho, never know maybe over the weekend some time he may have found somthing out.

Dorset Girl
03-10-2008, 7:29 AM
dorset girl? where you earwigging my phone call the other day? lol that is exactly how i went about my call to try and get info, which im still waiting on the man replying tho, never know maybe over the weekend some time he may have found somthing out.

You know us Aussies - we get into everything!! Actually you were the reason I posted the story - I was so pleased to know that someone had taken the courage to do it! (As you get older it takes a lot less courage let me assure you!)
Am keeping watch to see if you get a good result as well :)
Marion

Dorset Girl
03-10-2008, 7:34 AM
so it took forty years um......... so maybe I have only another 37 years to go for one of my many brick walls :D

Good to see another Dorset export over here!!! There don't seem to be many of us around.
Don't wait that long - have a few |5cups| and make the calls! You have to remember when I first started this silly game there was nothing like the internet - and by the time I realised it wasn't going to be an easy problem I was far away from the records offices - which is why it is so fantastic to have something like this forum so when you really get stuck someone will offer to help.
Marion

dawn/karen
03-10-2008, 7:53 AM
here am i making a call and asking about a family in 1840's yet i have 2 grand parents out of a total of 8!!! that there is now way i can find a thing about, well unless with one of them i go to the graves and make bore holes and do dna testing, and knowing my luck i would miss entirely and get worm dna!!!

my birth dads dad was born in march 1921, 2 men of the same name within 2 weeks of each other!!! same town too, both men died within 10 days aswell and buried in the same graveyard. ther have been a few times i have said that men are easier to find than woman as they tend not to change their names i.e. marriage etc but these 2 are going to cost me a lot of money tracking them down 2 birth certs 2 marriage certs and 2 death certs making a total of £42 now i know thats not a great deal of cash but seeing as half will be wasted then im reluctant to do it, til i have exhausted every other way of finding him

my adoptive grand parent, i have a great deal of info on him up til he had his last child in 1932, then hes just dropped of the face of the earth, no idea if the man remarried died or even if hes still in this country!!!

oh well at least i have plenty of other relatives to work on!!!