PDA

View Full Version : fingers crossed you lot for me tomorrow

dawn/karen
30-09-2008, 5:41 PM
i have been looking for some time now for my muirhead family from glenluce scotland and have been stumped due to the mum and dad coming from ireland, i have just about given up getting any info regarding them now, but i was sat looking at the baptism papers for one of the kids they had and he was the only one with a "middle" name of mcharrie. anyway to try and cut a long story short i have found out that the mcharries are still in glenluce at the same house all these generations later! wel today me being as cheeky as i am made a phone call to one of the mcharries!!! the lady that i spoke to was going to have a talk to her father in law who is 88, the person im after called john mcharrie muirhead would be his grandad!!!! so fingers crossed for me tomorrow please when i call them back to see if they know anything.

v.wells
30-09-2008, 5:47 PM
WOW! Good for your courage and hope you have good luck tomorrow:D

I tried that once (long distance) and had to leave an explicit telephone message with contact info and never heard back - Good for you Dawn/Karen!

busyglen
30-09-2008, 5:51 PM
Good Luck! Let us know how you get on. :)

Glenys

elaine webb
30-09-2008, 5:53 PM
Hi dawn/karen,

Gosh you're brave!! Don't think I would be able to pluck up courage to ring any living relatives. Good for you though.

Best of luck, let us know the outcome.

Elaine.

Davran
30-09-2008, 5:55 PM
Good for you! I hope you get some answers.

dawn/karen
30-09-2008, 6:11 PM
hardest part of the conversation was starting it off with out sounding like i was doing some cold caling seling thing!!! however the lady was really helpful and very friendly however she does know that there are 3 different mcharrie families that are in that village but even if shes not the correct one her father in law will be able to help out as much as he can, she was very genuinly interested in doing this for me, my only regret is that 8 weeks ago we tok a trip to the vilaage and did the 400 mile round trip in the day, buit having my hubby with me kinda restricted me asking around and if only i had of done then!

motto if you dont ask you dont get!!!!

Diane Grant-Salmon
30-09-2008, 6:14 PM
Good Luck! :)

I phoned some people in Durham once, on the off chance ...... they weren't related at all to the person I was trying to find, but they knew her!

They offered to pop round and see her, to ask for permission to give her telephone number to me, after I explained what it was all about. They asked for my phone number and said that they would call me back with her answer ..... even though I said that I would call them back.

The next day, the phone rang ..... it was the girl herself! ;)

Although I was in a state of shock, I rang her back, as I didn't want her paying for the call. The upshot is, she was delighted and we're still in touch.

Diane Grant-Salmon
30-09-2008, 6:18 PM
motto if you dont ask you dont get!!!!

That's been my motto for years! :D

dawn/karen
30-09-2008, 6:18 PM
oh i so know that feeling i did it whe i was tracing my birth mother 12 yrs back, i had got a list of the surnames in the area and sat one night and caled every single one, one of them was just ringing so i left it for that night, and called the following day and got my mums brother!!! talk about dropping to the floor, it took me some time to compose myself and ask a few questions,

Sandyhall
30-09-2008, 7:38 PM
dawn/karen

I always pays to ask
I've just spoken to 2 cousins that I haden't spoken to for well over 40 years, one in Australia that I found with help from the Forum.
Sandy

clare_bear
30-09-2008, 7:44 PM
Great stuff so far, dawn/karen. Good luck with the next step.

cirstybewick
30-09-2008, 8:11 PM
WOW!!!!!

GOOD FOR YOU, WELL DONE!!!

GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED!!!

CIRSTY X|jumphappy

susan-y
30-09-2008, 8:41 PM
WAY TO GO !!! ( Insert happy dance smiley here !!!!)

I break out in a cold sweat thinking about calling someone, but sometimes that's all it takes.

Good luck...lets hope the father-in-law has a good memory :):)

Sue

dawn/karen
01-10-2008, 12:48 PM
ok quick update here,

i called back and his wife had told him about this strange woman calling!!! lol
any he hasnt had chance to see his dad yet but is going this afternoon and took my number to call me back on sometime, he also sid that there is a woman in town that has done a grave inscription for every single grave in the area so once again fingers crossed, he did give me a bit of info about his grandad tho and from that i can look to see the cencus to see if its the right line of his family.

its a wonder i can type with all these crossed fingers!!

cirstybewick
01-10-2008, 1:00 PM
hello

i have been waiting for this up-date all morning lol (strange woman here!!)

i have all my fingers and toes crossed for you, i hope he calls soon x

cirsty

Dorset Girl
01-10-2008, 1:11 PM
Never be scared to ask - they can only say no once - and put in the right way a lot of people are quite intrigued! I am not going to hi-jack this thread but I will try and post a thread on a success that was purely a lot of co-incendences and sheer gall on my part - and led me to solve the answer to a 50 year question on the actual death of my uncle.
So - go for it - fingers and toes crossed for you - and good luck - I hope you have as much success as I did!
Marion