PDA

View Full Version : Nock's W.House (Rowley Regis)

nockster1972
30-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Hello all,
does anyone out there have any information regarding 'Nocks W.House' ??? Would this be Warehouse or Workhouse ???
James Nock and Hannah are listed 1st for this particular residence - where they living there as elderly folk (they are down as 'IND' independent). James is my GGG Grandfather.
Also further along the census pages there are other Nock's mentioned - would this confirm they are residents in a workhouse ? or could they be relatives ?

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me

Many thanks
Simon Paul Nock

busyglen
30-09-2008, 12:52 PM
I've had a look around various sites, but can't find anything that shows a Workhouse in Rowley Regis.

I did find a mention of a Powder Warehouse in Halesowen (not sure if this is in the vicinity of Rowley Regis, but it was mentioned on a page about it).

What period are you looking at Simon? What Census year? It might help if someone is able to look up the pages as well.

Glenys

janbooth
30-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Hello Simon,

I have looked through my Staffordshire Directories and have come up with the following for James NOCK:

1834 Whites Gazeteer & Directory
James NOCK is described as a Nail Ironmonger living at Cradley Heath

1851 Whites Gazeteer & Directory
Cradley Heath Nock & Holloway, Chain, Nail, Clench, Rivet & Iron Gas Tube Manfrs

Not that this helps you that much with your query re Nocks W.House. Have you found a will for your James which might help at all. I note that TNA Douments Online website has a will for a Tobias NOCK, Nailors, Ironmonger of Rowley Regis dated 31 March 1792 - any connection???

Janet

nockster1972
30-09-2008, 7:21 PM
Hi there,
many thanks for your reply. The only information I have about James Nock is that he was married to Hannah Purton in 1805,St Thomas Dudley (IGI ref), a James Nock and Hannah is also mentioned on the IGI as married 1802 Rowley Regis. The latter does say that Hannah was approx 10 years senior to James and that is reflected in the 1841 census pages (residing at Nock's W.House); so would these people be the same couple ?.. Parish records on Ancestry for Staffordshire show children born at the turn of the 19th century to James and Ann Nock - I assume Hannah would be abbreviated to Ann ? My link to James is I believe his son Thomas Nock born 1823. I have the marriage certificate of Thomas and his wife Mary Ann Law and on it his fathers name is James (occupation Nailor). As I'm quite new to this research could anyone point me in the right direction with regards to getting concrete evidence for this ??? I would dearly love to find out where James was born and who his parents were. Are there any tips and tricks I could follow, websites etc ?

kind regards

Simon Paul Nock

janbooth
01-10-2008, 3:35 PM
Hello again Simon,

Always start from what you know to be factually correct - presumably in this case you have proved a link to Thomas NOCK and have obtained his marriage certificate to Mary Ann and on it his father is shown as James NOCK, Nailer. This may or may not be correct as unfortunately details on marriage certificates are not always factual. However, where and when were Thomas and Mary Ann married? Is it the marriage in Dudley in the June qtr 1845? If so, does it show where Thomas and Mary Ann were living at the time of their marriage? Dudley registration district covers Castle Hill and Dudley in Worcestershire and Rowley Regis, Tipton and Sedgley in Staffs for that period. I can find 2 Thomas NOCKs in Rowley Regis on the 1841 but both seem to be married - although no relationships are shown on the 1841 census there are young females and children in the same households. I cannot find a Thomas NOCK married to a Mary/Mary Ann in the 1851 census - have you managed to find them in any census records after their marriage which should give you a clue as to where they were born.

Also, I have discovered a death registration for what appears to be a Susannah NOCK at Dudley reg district in the March qtr 1843 and one of the Thomas NOCKs I found in the 1841 census of Rowley Regis was living with a Susannah - was your Thomas shown as a widower or a bachelor on his marriage certificate?

Sorry for all the questions, but your Thomas does seem to be rather elusive and it is very important to try to find where he was born so we need every bit of information you have already found.

Will wait to hear further from you

Janet

nockster1972
02-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi again Jan,
thankyou for your reply - I have recently moved home so my paperwork is somewhat messy at the moment and I cannot locate the certificate of marriage for Thomas and Mary Ann Law... However, I do know that they were married at St Martin (Pepper Box), Tipton on 23rd June 1845. Parents listed were Job Law (Blacksmith) and James Nock (Nailor).. I will try and find the certificate and see where they were living. I do know that their son James Nock was born in Lyndon, West Bromwich on 16th Feb 1852. I believe that Thomas died around 1859 as his wife remarried a William Butler in 1861.

Will try and sort some more information.

Many thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated

Kind Regards
Simon Paul Nock

janbooth
02-10-2008, 11:20 AM
Simon,

This looks as if it could be Mary Ann and her family in the 1841 census of West Bromwich:

HO107/977/9, folio 10, page 12
Reform Street

Job LAW 40 Blk Smith Born in county yes
Ann do 35 Nailor yes
Hannah do 15 do yes
Sarah do 15 do yes
Mary do 14 do yes
Samuel do 11 do yes
Betsey do 9 yes
Phoeby do 7 yes
Ann do 5 yes
Jane do 3 yes
Thomas do 9 months yes

I think I may have found Thomas & Mary Ann in the 1851 census of West Bromwich enumerated as NOCKS - see what you think:

HO107/2026, folio 505 (I think), page 7
Lyne?

Thomas NOCKS Head M 27 Coal Miner Staffords Rowley
Mary do Wife M 25 do West Bromwich
Joseph do Son 5 Scholar do do
Ann do Daur 3 do do
Thomas do Son 8 months do do
William BROOKS Lodger M 25 Coal Miner do do
Eliza do do M 23 Worcest Bushey

The ages of the children fit in very well with a marriage in 1845 and I have also found 2 extracted records on the IGI, one a baptism on 19 August 1827 at All Saints West Bromwich of Mary Ann LAW, father Job mother Ann and the other the marriage of a Job LAW and Ann PARES on 8 July 1822 at Handsworth, Staffs.

There is a Thomas NOCK in the 1841 census of West Bromwich (HO107/977/12, folio 37/ page20):

All Saints St

James NOCK 20 B Smith Born in county yes
William do 15 yes
Thomas do 15 yes

These look as if they could be brothers - interesting that the eldest is named James - perhaps after his father??

I think you will have to consult the parish registers of Rowley Regis to see if Thomas was indeed born & baptised there and thus to find his parents. BMSGH have produced a book containing the parish registers of St Giles Rowley Regis 1813-1849 (have a look at their website for details) or the LDS have filmed the parish registers which can be ordered and then viewed in situ at your nearest LDS Family History Centre.

HTH further

Janet

Guy Etchells
02-10-2008, 4:00 PM
Hi there,
many thanks for your reply. The only information I have about James Nock is that he was married to Hannah Purton in 1805,St Thomas Dudley (IGI ref), a James Nock and Hannah is also mentioned on the IGI as married 1802 Rowley Regis. The latter does say that Hannah was approx 10 years senior to James and that is reflected in the 1841 census pages (residing at Nock's W.House); so would these people be the same couple ?.. Parish records on Ancestry for Staffordshire show children born at the turn of the 19th century to James and Ann Nock - I assume Hannah would be abbreviated to Ann ? My link to James is I believe his son Thomas Nock born 1823. I have the marriage certificate of Thomas and his wife Mary Ann Law and on it his fathers name is James (occupation Nailor). As I'm quite new to this research could anyone point me in the right direction with regards to getting concrete evidence for this ??? I would dearly love to find out where James was born and who his parents were. Are there any tips and tricks I could follow, websites etc ?

kind regards

Simon Paul Nock

From my copy of the Anguline Research Archives CD of Rowley Regis parish registers transcripts I can find no James Nock and Hannah married in 1802.
There is mention of the marriage of
1803 Aug. 23. William Nock , b. & Hannah Scott, sp. Witness: James Sidaway
Cheers
Guy

nockster1972
03-10-2008, 9:29 AM
Hi there,
many thanks for looking into this for me.. I'm a bit confused about the dates as the IGI states James and Hannah (Ann) listed as married in R.Regis 1802 and also 1805 !! How accurate are these records ? How would I go about finding out for sure when and where they were married ?

Kind Regards
Simon Paul Nock

janbooth
03-10-2008, 9:55 AM
Simon,

The IGI record for the marriage of the above couple in 1802 is a member submitted one (these should always be treated with caution) and therefore likely to be pure invention, especially given that Guy can find no record of the marriage in the PR Transcripts. The one shown at Dudley in 1805 is an extracted record with source details which shows that it has been extracted from the parish register and is therefore more likely to be accurate, although of course it can still be liable to transcription error. However, you still do not know for certain that this couple are the parents of your Thomas, and the only way to verify that is to find his baptismal record, hopefully at Rowley Regis.

Good luck

Janet