PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Ann CHOWN - Kingsthorpe

bwintonc
30-09-2008, 7:14 AM
I previously posted this (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34848) under "Specific Look Ups" but I thought it might help to post a slightly revised request under Northamptonshire.

I am looking for the birth record of my G-G-grandmother, Sarah Ann CHOWN. I believe her date of birth was 9 Jan 1827, but that is from a handwritten family document without a source citation. However, 1827 is consistent with her age at death (95) and with the 1881 & 1891 census records (her married name was JOHNSON). Place of birth is believed to be Kingsthorpe, Northamptonshire. She had an older brother, Joseph P. CHOWN, whose birth was recorded in a Methodist register but I couldn't find Sarah Ann in that same register. Based on her brother's entry, their parents were John CHOWN and Ann (or Anne) PARBURY (PARBERY/PARBERRY). I have searched the IGI with no luck. Please note that I have already found all census references to her as well as her marriage and death certificates. I am only missing an official record of her birth.

Sandyhall
30-09-2008, 11:31 AM
I previously posted this (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34848) under "Specific Look Ups" but I thought it might help to post a slightly revised request under Northamptonshire.

I am looking for the birth record of my G-G-grandmother, Sarah Ann CHOWN. I believe her date of birth was 9 Jan 1827, but that is from a handwritten family document without a source citation. However, 1827 is consistent with her age at death (95) and with the 1881 & 1891 census records (her married name was JOHNSON). Place of birth is believed to be Kingsthorpe, Northamptonshire. She had an older brother, Joseph P. CHOWN, whose birth was recorded in a Methodist register but I couldn't find Sarah Ann in that same register. Based on her brother's entry, their parents were John CHOWN and Ann (or Anne) PARBURY (PARBERY/PARBERRY). I have searched the IGI with no luck. Please note that I have already found all census references to her as well as her marriage and death certificates. I am only missing an official record of her birth.

Hi
What you need is someone to do a look up in the Parish Records for a christening as you won't get a birth for this time, unfortunately my List doesn't include Kingsthorpe. sorry I can't be of any help to day
Sandy in Northamptonshire

bwintonc
30-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks, Sandy, for your reply. I don't know if those parish registers are on microfilm anywhere in the USA. If nothing else, I will have to visit the Northamptonshire Record Office the next time I'm in England.

southistle
29-01-2009, 6:12 PM
Does Sarah Ann's marriage certificate give the name of her father?

bwintonc
30-01-2009, 5:12 AM
Thank you, southistle, for your interest in this thread. Sarah Ann's marriage certificate states that her father was John Chown the shoemaker. Her brother's marriage certificate says the same thing for his father.

Bruce

janbooth
30-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Bruce,

The LDS have Kingsthorpe Parish Registers on microfiche, so you could hire them from your nearest LDS Family History Centre to view in situ.

Janet

Pennie
31-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Looks like you definitely need those Kingsthorpe registers - from the Northants. Marriage Index (1700-1837):

20 AUG 1821 - Kingsthorpe C of E - John CHOWN otp bachelor / Anne PARBERRY otp spinster

Pennie

bwintonc
01-02-2009, 1:36 AM
Thank you, Janet & Pennie, for your input. I will plan to visit my local History Center.
Bruce