PDA

View Full Version : scott family

eddyjack
28-09-2008, 2:49 PM
i am trying to trace my scottish side of my family tree, my grandfather was john scott born in the 1880`s in the gorbals glasgow i think, have found a marriage for a john scott apparently married in stirling in 1909 to sophia henny and they had 9 children but i cannot find birth or death certificates for either john or sophia when they died they both lived in Drip road raploch stirling any help would be very much appreciated thanks

Lesley Robertson
28-09-2008, 4:35 PM
i am trying to trace my scottish side of my family tree, my grandfather was john scott born in the 1880`s in the gorbals glasgow i think, have found a marriage for a john scott apparently married in stirling in 1909 to sophia henny and they had 9 children but i cannot find birth or death certificates for either john or sophia when they died they both lived in Drip road raploch stirling any help would be very much appreciated thanks

This is a very common name - are you sure that Sophia's husband is the guy in the Gorbals? That 1909 marriage cert will give you both sets of parents (including maiden names). The you can move back, using BMDs and census returns at Scotlands people, as dejay suggested. There's also a very good getting Started guide on the free part of the site.

Lesley Robertson

eddyjack
28-09-2008, 4:43 PM
yes tried that site costing me a fortune still no wiser

Lesley Robertson
28-09-2008, 4:46 PM
yes tried that site costing me a fortune still no wiser

So who does the certificate say that the 2 pairs of parents were? And where were the bride & groom living at the time?

Lesley

JustJean
28-09-2008, 9:03 PM
According to the index Sophia's death is recorded like so on SP:

1947 SCOTT SOPHIA HENNY F 63 STIRLING /STIRLING 490/00 0505

Best wishes
Jean

eddyjack
29-09-2008, 11:16 AM
john`s father was john scott/occupation carter, mother catherine nee nicholson (deceased), sophia`s father robert henny/hawker, mother lizzie nee campbell i think they were married on 28th december 1909 at the manse park avenue stirling but writing not very clear, there is a possible connection because their first child was called lizzie and the second child was catherine my mother, seems like named after their grandmothers, but the first 2 children must have been illegitimate because lizzie was born 1905 and catherine 1908 thanks

eddyjack
29-09-2008, 11:19 AM
thanks very much jean can i ask where you found that

elaine webb
29-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Hi Eddy/Jack ,

I'll just beat Jean to it and say she probably found it on Scotlandspeople website.

Jean is a wonderful help and she knows her stuff!! Jean helped me loads with my Scottish ancestors.

Thanks again Jean.|hug|

Happy searching Eddy/Jack.:D

P.S. I have the Scott name in my line too!"

eddyjack
29-09-2008, 2:51 PM
thnx very much for all the help

ChristineR
30-09-2008, 6:21 AM

i think they were married on 28th december 1909 at the manse park avenue stirling but writing not very clear, there is a possible connection because their first child was called lizzie and the second child was catherine my mother,

You said " there is a possible connection"
Do you have your mother's birth certificate?
you seem to be uncertain about her mother's maiden name?

eddyjack
30-09-2008, 1:15 PM
sorry about that forgot to say my grandfathers mother was called catherine and my grandmothers was lizzie and john and sophia`s first 2 children were called lizzie and catherine thought that may be the connection