PDA

View Full Version : "Your internet access is going to get suspended"

NicoUK
27-09-2008, 4:43 PM
I don't think this one has been mentioned and I just received one, with an attachment, so thought I'd warn others not to open the attachment and to delete the mail. It's a scam. I haven't been doing anything illegal :)

"Your internet access is going to get suspended

The Internet Service Provider Consorcium was made to protect the rights of software authors, artists.
We conduct regular wiretapping on our networks, to monitor criminal acts.

We are aware of your illegal activities on the internet wich were originating from

You can check the report of your activities in the past 6 month that we have attached. We strongly advise you to stop your activities regarding the illegal downloading of copyrighted material of your internet access will be suspended.

Sincerely
ICS Monitoring Team"

busyglen
28-09-2008, 10:13 AM
I've had a similar one....your account is being suspended.

I've automatically deleted it, having received it three times. I don't take any notice of anything like this, until I get a written notice through the post.

Glenys

Beebee
28-09-2008, 7:20 PM
I received one of those emails today, and was immediately suspicious of it. I use mailwasher to sort out my emails before I download them, it had detected this as spam, but I decided to download it anyway and my malware program detected the attachment as including a trojan and safely deleted it, safe to say, I deleted the email, and would strongly suggest anybody else to do the same, and most certainly do not open the attachment.

Squaredancer
28-09-2008, 9:30 PM
Just opening spam emails lets the spammers know that your email account is live - so your chance of getting more junk increases. |5cups|

gibo
29-09-2008, 2:46 AM
Hi,
I dont think simply opening spam emails tells them you are legit email account (and send more ****). I think it is those emails that have images imbedded in them that do the sneaky stuff. By displaying the pic the link to the spammers has been successful i.e. if you suppress the images you are safe to open. It usually doesnt look as pretty but does the job.
Some programs like Outlook have a switch that suppresses the images unless you know the sender (from your contacts list or personal address book).

I know they use all the tricks to get you opening the email - like having generic phrases in the subject field and you think it could be a legit person wanting to communicate. I get annoyed when my friends dont open my emails because it has an attachment or image attached. I think they are over reacting really. Email is still a wonderful tool - better than snail mail!

Penny Gallo
29-09-2008, 9:57 AM
Ah but I'm jolly glad so many people did keep their old snail mail! Old paper notices, billheadings and personal letters may be classified as "Ephemera" (after insects which live only for a day) - but I've found so much out about places/people from old pieces of paper - and wonder how our decendents will research the 21st century.

busyglen
29-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Just opening spam emails lets the spammers know that your email account is live - so your chance of getting more junk increases. |5cups|
To true!

I had one arrive for seven days, and deleted each one as it arrived. Now they have stopped, as, from their point of view, this account isn't live.

Glenys

Squaredancer
29-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Yes, fortunately deleting them does (eventually!) work - my "other half" had over 1,000 spams in 3 days a while ago, and it's dwindled to about 20 or 30 a day now. :)

pejay
29-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Hi - yes spam mail is very problematic these days. I understand cds with email addresses are sold very cheaply, & yes if they find it is active they are then put on another cd and sold for a bit more, I have recently had spam from Germany & France, perhaps we should all keep an email address purely for spam:confused:

Mafferz
29-09-2008, 11:55 AM
I've received this same e-mail too. I was momentarily 'sucked in' until I spotted the spelling mistake!

It's funny how some of these spam/scam/phishers go to such efforts to look 'official', but they can never spell, or never think to run it through a spell checker...

MarkJ
29-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Hi - yes spam mail is very problematic these days. I understand cds with email addresses are sold very cheaply, & yes if they find it is active they are then put on another cd and sold for a bit more, I have recently had spam from Germany & France, perhaps we should all keep an email address purely for spam:confused:

Quite correct. They do indeed sell cds of email addresses and valid ones - i.e those who have responded for example with a "please unsubscribe me" or "I am out of the office" response are added to the more pricey "genuine validated addresses" type disks and sold for a lot more.
This is one of the reasons why we should never respond to spam. Yes, we all feel like sending them a rude message back or giving them joke fake bank details - but that will result in a huge spam increase.

Although we all complain about the amount of spam we get, have a thought for those people who run large companies which, by the very nature of their businesses, need to get the email address "out there" to reach lots of potential customers... Those also reach the spammers and many large companies receive literally thousands of spam messages per day! They run filtering systems to remove the majority of the spam, but that takes a lot of computing power and a small but significant amount of junk still gets through when you are dealing with such large numbers :(

On the "your internet is going to be suspended" thing, I have seen one so far. It went straight in the deleted junk after kindly assisting my spam filters to pick up further examples of similar twaddle :D

Mark

stonewall
29-09-2008, 12:26 PM
I don't think this one has been mentioned and I just received one, with an attachment, so thought I'd warn others not to open the attachment and to delete the mail. It's a scam. I haven't been doing anything illegal
"Your internet access is going to get suspended

The Internet Service Provider Consorcium was made to protect the rights of software authors, artists.
We conduct regular wiretapping on our networks, to monitor criminal acts.

We are aware of your illegal activities on the internet wich were originating from

You can check the report of your activities in the past 6 month that we have attached. We strongly advise you to stop your activities regarding the illegal downloading of copyrighted material of your internet access will be suspended.

Sincerely
ICS Monitoring Team"
yes i hade one like this and i opened it it had a worm come up saying i can see what your been doing. i had to reset the computer and lost a lot of work so beware

MarkJ
29-09-2008, 12:34 PM
By "reset" I trust you mean "reinstall"? Turning the machine off and on again will not stop the malware from carrying out its activity behind the scenes.

Mark

stonewall
30-09-2008, 7:33 AM
By "reset" I trust you mean "reinstall"? Turning the machine off and on again will not stop the malware from carrying out its activity behind the scenes.

Mark

yes sorry but brain works but the fingers typing dont keep up

NickM
21-10-2008, 1:28 PM

They know it's live anyway - dead ones are "bounced".

MarkJ
21-10-2008, 9:08 PM
They know it's live anyway - dead ones are "bounced".

That depends on how the mailserver is set up. For instance, if a spammer emails a random name at my mailserver, the message is simply dropped. Bouncing mails is seen as being a factor in the increasing traffic created by spammers.
I am sure you have all had the odd "undeliverable mail" type thing crop up in your inbox. Sometimes - less often these days - they are a way to get people to open carefully crafted spams, but quite often they are down to a spammer using your address as the "return" or "sender" address on their spams. Because the mail is spam, or undilverable, it gets "bounced" back to the address given by the spammer.
That is why many of us do not use "bouncing" :) Just because a mail is not returned, does not mean the address is live. Not only that, but of course most spammers do not use their own email addresses - so they have no idea if the mail is bounced or not.
They use various techniques to see if a mail has been opened of course ;)

NickM
22-10-2008, 7:16 AM
Yes, my comment was rather over-simplified. These days the bulk of spam email doesn't have a proper return address - the majority contain real addresses in the "From" field, just not the address of the person who sent it, but from an address picked at random from their spam address list. There was a trend some time ago to send out mail to sequential addresses at certain ISP's, when spammers found out that many ISP's issue sequential user names.