PDA

View Full Version : swan

cathymitchell
25-09-2008, 8:31 PM
I have a James Swan: abt 1822 Antrim Ireland.

The name does not sound Irish are their any other Irish Swan out there.

Cathy

Elwyn Soutter
27-09-2008, 9:34 AM
There are around 10 Swan entries in the current phone book for Co Antrim. So it' s not too rare.

You say the name is not very Irish. Given that it's Co Antrim you are researching, the chances are that the original Swans came across from England or Scotland, either as a part of the Plantation*, or later. If you find that they are protestant (as seems likely) then that'll tend to confirm this too.

*After the flight of the Irish Earls in 1607, most of Ulster (which includes Co Antrim) was confiscated by the English Crown and settled with English & Scots families, who were invariably protestant. This was called the Plantation and accounts, in part, for Northern Ireland having such a high percentage of protestants to this day, compared with Ireland as a whole.

Lesley Robertson
27-09-2008, 10:22 AM
There are around 10 Swan entries in the current phone book for Co Antrim. So it' s not too rare.

You say the name is not very Irish. Given that it's Co Antrim you are researching, the chances are that the original Swans came across from England or Scotland, either as a part of the Plantation*, or later. If you find that they are protestant (as seems likely) then that'll tend to confirm this too.

*After the flight of the Irish Earls in 1607, most of Ulster (which includes Co Antrim) was confiscated by the English Crown and settled with English & Scots families, who were invariably protestant. This was called the Plantation and accounts, in part, for Northern Ireland having such a high percentage of protestants to this day, compared with Ireland as a whole.

Swan occurs fairly frequently in the Scottish Borders.

Lesley

cathymitchell
28-09-2008, 9:13 PM
Thank you both for the repley.

My swan family did move to scotland (Rutherglen) abt 1860. James Swan married Elizabeth Hamilton from Down Ireland, in Ireland though this as not yet been proven.

Their g,g, grand daughter became a author in scotland. |book2|

Hall/Swan
18-10-2008, 5:05 PM

The Swans/Swanns were and are very wealthy.

Some of them left Scotland to Ireland, as planters, some left Ireland and went to US, some came back from US to Scotland!

Hall/Swan
18-10-2008, 5:07 PM
Thank you both for the repley.

My swan family did move to scotland (Rutherglen) abt 1860. James Swan married Elizabeth Hamilton from Down Ireland, in Ireland though this as not yet been proven.

Their g,g, grand daughter became a author in scotland. |book2|

My grandmother was a Swan!

Hall/Swan
18-10-2008, 5:08 PM
My grandmother was a Swan!

Maybe my g,g,great cousin became an Author in Scotland??|jumphappy

cathymitchell
19-10-2008, 7:50 PM
Maybe my g,g,great cousin became an Author in Scotland??|jumphappy

Hi ,
sorry for the delay in replying, work as been crazy|nopity|

My James swan was a coach driver in 1861 in scotland.
I dont think they were wealthy.

He married a Elizabeth Hamilton also from Ireland and moved backwards and forward between Scotland and Ireland.

Hall/Swan
20-10-2008, 12:17 AM
The only James Swan I've come across was in Mullaneece, Ulster. Landowner.

That's all I know!

HTH

Strangford
28-10-2008, 9:40 PM
Griffith Valuation has quite a few Swans in Ulster

www.
failteromhat.com/post1845.php