PDA

View Full Version : india 1840's

beddaubell
25-09-2008, 9:39 AM
my 3xgrandfather married in india he was a sgt in 4thfoot reg, in 1840 he married a hannah gilmour when i got a copy of their marriage cert it stated that hannah was a widow,tracing back i've found that hannah married a james gilmour in 1834 also in india he was in the 43 foot reg and her maiden name was hughes is there any chance of me finding out where she was born ,when 3xgrandad came back home he brought his 2 sons but not hannah i've looked on varous web sites but cannot find her death, cath

Fordy
25-09-2008, 10:48 AM
my 3xgrandfather married in india he was a sgt in 4thfoot reg, in 1840 he married a hannah gilmour when i got a copy of their marriage cert it stated that hannah was a widow,tracing back i've found that hannah married a james gilmour in 1834 also in india he was in the 43 foot reg and her maiden name was hughes is there any chance of me finding out where she was born ,when 3xgrandad came back home he brought his 2 sons but not hannah i've looked on varous web sites but cannot find her death, cath

Well Hannah is very unlikely to have travelled to India on her own, which throws up 3 possible scenerios.

1. She went to India with James Gilmour as a fiance and then married. Do you know where James was born? Perhaps she was from the same area?

2. (More likely) - Hannah was the daughter of another British soldier, or British Official. Any more HUGHES in the regiment at the time?

3. Hannah was a native (St.Helena maybe) and was given an english name. This happened a lot, but the name doesn't sound right - there were a LOT of ladies called Mary Jones, Mary Smith etc.. including my g-g-g-grandmother.

My g-g-g-grandmother (Mary Jones) was a native of St Helena, brought to mainland India by, and married to, a chap called Lockhart (East India Company). He died and she married my g-g-g-grandfather Joseph Musgrave (serving same regiment in India) in Bengal. As it turned out, both the Lockhart & Musgrave families came from Yorkshire.

daggers
25-09-2008, 11:49 AM
You might find something on this site at the British Library, where many records are kept from the old East India Company etc.
[[email protected]]
D

beddaubell
25-09-2008, 1:15 PM
thanks for your ideas ,when hannah married james gilmour she had 3 witnesses one was a sgt j hughes and it was the 41st regiment not 43rd so maybe he was her father or brother .How can I find out more about him.?
cath

Fordy
25-09-2008, 2:31 PM
thanks for your ideas ,when hannah married james gilmour she had 3 witnesses one was a sgt j hughes and it was the 41st regiment not 43rd so maybe he was her father or brother .How can I find out more about him.?
cath

British Library India Collection

FIBIS http://www.search.fibis.org

Dare I say it - INDIAMAN
:-)

Fordy
25-09-2008, 2:37 PM
cath

Both the 41st & 43rd were based at Barrackpore 1835/36 so it looks a very likely link.

Fordy
25-09-2008, 2:40 PM
On this occasion, put the darned link, David.

Rules is rules!

|biggrin|

Fordy
25-09-2008, 3:20 PM
Sometimes, David, you can be a real pain in the butt!

I'm sure I don't know what you mean!

;)

beddaubell
25-09-2008, 5:42 PM
I do not understand what is going on between fordy and bo peep am I missing something?
I've tried fibis no luck but thanks any way