PDA

View Full Version : French ballerina

sardisman931
24-09-2008, 6:37 PM
I am trying to trace my wifes late fathers ancestry . It is shrouded in Mystery to the extent that I can get no verification of his date of birth . apparently it is not the 26 mar 1905 as he used to quote . he died in 1993 . he had an unhappy childhood so we were led to believe and his mother was a French ballerinaand his father an English Journalist , no indication that they married . On his marriage certificate my f/ law gave his fathers occupation as a journalist and his name as Frederick Spencer Alfred Hately .
Does anyone know of a way I could trace records of the early 20th century for details of a French ballerina or of a journalist please . Any help would be most appreciated . thank you
david |help|

Squaredancer
24-09-2008, 7:39 PM
The free part of the Familyrelatives site shows the death of Spencer Frederick A HATELY, date of birth 26-MAR-1905, in February 1993 in Pontypridd.

Apart from the names in a different order, is this your man? :)

sardisman931
24-09-2008, 8:12 PM
yes , that is him . I registered his death in Pontypridd in 1993 . Since taking up family history research on behalf of my better half I have hit the brickwalls of being unable to verify his dob , I have the original marriage certificate when he married my m/ law Annie mary Ferguson in merthyr Tydfil on 12 mar 1940 . But then the brickwalls of his parents surfaced and his alledged dob . Thank you Squaredancer

Ladkyis
25-09-2008, 1:45 PM
does it gove his age on the marriage certificate - not that it can be regarded as accurate because from my experience people lied more than they told the truth on these things.
Did they get married in Wales?
was his job specific to the wales area - miner, steelworker that sort of thing
What was his address when he married?
Was he living at home with his mother still or was he there because of the war? what about electoral rolls.

Sandyhall
25-09-2008, 1:54 PM
I am trying to trace my wifes late fathers ancestry . It is shrouded in Mystery to the extent that I can get no verification of his date of birth . apparently it is not the 26 mar 1905 as he used to quote . he died in 1993 . he had an unhappy childhood so we were led to believe and his mother was a French ballerinaand his father an English Journalist , no indication that they married . On his marriage certificate my f/ law gave his fathers occupation as a journalist and his name as Frederick Spencer Alfred Hately .
Does anyone know of a way I could trace records of the early 20th century for details of a French ballerina or of a journalist please . Any help would be most appreciated . thank you
david |help|

Hi
Could he have been born in France ?
Sandy

sardisman931
25-09-2008, 6:15 PM
does it gove his age on the marriage certificate - not that it can be regarded as accurate because from my experience people lied more than they told the truth on these things.
Did they get married in Wales?
was his job specific to the wales area - miner, steelworker that sort of thing
What was his address when he married?
Was he living at home with his mother still or was he there because of the war? what about electoral rolls.

Ladkyis
thank you for the response .
he gave his age as 34 on the marriage certificate, which would tie in with a dob of 1905.The marriage took place in Barry Register Office on 12 March .he was living in B
arry at the same address as Annie Mary Ferguson .

His occupation was given as a painter and decorator and it was that which he carried out for the rest of his working life for a company based in cardiff until he retired at the age of 72 . He was no 1 on the payroll and declined several offers of a director with the company . he said that he had moved down from London with a London based company and decided to remain in wales when that contract finished . I had not considered looking at electoral rolls but will now do so in the hope that somewhere along the line I could establish when he moved here .
The company he worked for for the 30 +years in Cardiff said that they do not retain records of former employees for more than a few years after they leave . l
I am now wondering whether any Govt dept would keep records such as tax freturns and pensions . WE know that he talked f an unhappy childhood . and it has crossed my mind that perhaps he was adopted , but no formal records of such would have been available I understand before 1927 .|banghead|