PDA

View Full Version : Markyate Street Hertfordshire

bill47
24-09-2008, 9:13 AM
Hello to all,
let me start by thanking all the kind people who helped with my query on Banquet place.
Perhaps some one can help with this one,
On the 1871 census folio RG10/1386/F? I have a family called Stanbridge living in Chapel Street Hemel Hempstead. 3 of the family are down as born Markyate street Hertfordshire.
Where was / is Markyate Street? also can anyone suggest where I can get a street map of Hemel covering say 1880 - 1912, so that I can do a search myself Rather than keep bothering you kind folk.
Thanks Bill

birdlip
24-09-2008, 9:28 AM
Hi Bill,

Markyate Street (old spelling) or Market Street is on Genuki's list of Hertfordshire towns and villages. ...'an old coaching stop on the Roman Watling Street...south west of Luton'...originally part of Caddington parish, apparently it has a Georgian church, St John the Baptist. Genuki is wonderful for finding places.

regards birdlip

p.s. I've just found it on google maps and its still spelled 'Markyate', but they've lost the 'Street' part

Peter Goodey
24-09-2008, 9:28 AM
Where was / is Markyate Street?

See GenUKI

Markyate Street (Market Street) was a parish in Hertfordshire, nowadays just Markyate. See any moden map.

For your bookmarks -
http://www.genuki.org.uk/

Geoffers
24-09-2008, 12:18 PM
where I can get a street map of Hemel covering say 1880 - 1912, so that I can do a search myself Rather than keep bothering you kind folk.

The County Record Office may be able to assist

All sorts of maps are available via The Parish Chest (http://www.parishchest.com/)

Use a search engine and enter - old-maps

The site is slow, when you find the place you are after, you can enlarge a map. The streetnames are often unclear, but the maps are very useful

bill47
25-09-2008, 10:04 AM
I would like to thank Birdlip , Peter Goodey and Geoffers for their help and suggestions.
It's most kind of you to reply.
Cheers Bill

Alan Welsford
30-09-2008, 4:53 PM
Hello to all,
also can anyone suggest where I can get a street map of Hemel covering say 1880 - 1912, so that I can do a search myself Rather than keep bothering you kind folk.

The inexpensive Alan Godfrey reprints of old OS maps cover the Hemel Hempstead area.

There are three covering Hemel Hempstead (Hemel Hempstead, Hemel South & Boxmoor) and all are dated 1897.

I don't think Markyate (the town) is available though, unless it has been added since the maps I have.

Alan

bill47
06-10-2008, 7:06 AM
Hello Alan,

Thanks for the information about maps, I am in the UK in a couple of weeks time, It will give me a bit of exorcise doing a search and trying to source a map.
Thank you once again.
Bill

Gill Hart
08-10-2008, 6:35 PM
Hi Bill,

I live in Flamstead which is the village 'next door' to Markyate. Was there something in particular that you were looking for or was this a general enquiry?

I haven't found any old maps for Markyate but if you have ancestors from the village you may find "The Book of Markyate" published by the Markyate Local History Society interesting. The ISBN is 1 84114 1429 and it has lots of pictures and stories about local residents.

If I can help, let me know - it's only 5 minutes to the village!

Regards
Gill

bill47
13-10-2008, 8:43 AM
Hello Gill,

Thank you for your kind offer, My inquiry centered around a Millington stray.
So not an urgent search.
Thank you once again.
Cheers Bill