PDA

View Full Version : coal mining deaths register

iverlady
23-09-2008, 6:47 AM
a very useful site;

www. cmhrc.co.uk

the coal mining history resource centre

national database of mining deaths and pit disasters in great britain.

Penny Gallo
10-10-2008, 8:03 AM
Thanks Iverlady. I had a very interesting time yesterday afternoon reading the original accounts of disasters in 19th century coal mines. It also gives excellent description of job titles and arcane pit terms. It has helped me understand the terrible conditions that my greatgrandfather worked in from the age of 12.
Best wishes, Penny

Peter Goodey
10-10-2008, 9:26 AM
It has helped me understand the terrible conditions that my greatgrandfather worked in from the age of 12.

Have you been to the National Coal Mining Museum at Wakefield? Easy day out for you :)

Diane Grant-Salmon
10-10-2008, 4:14 PM
Hi Peter :)

My maternal grandfather and his father both worked in that pit, way back when, as they both lived in Middlestown, where the museum is. Before I left the area, I *did the tour* and talk about panic!

Even though it's well lit now etc. I couldn't get out fast enough and I did make the comment that I don't know how they managed to work down there! They both started work as hurriers at a very young age, but my grandfather died as a result of a rock fall.

benny1982
10-10-2008, 8:03 PM
Hi

One of my ancestors siblings died in the St Helen Auckland mine in 1872 aged 15 after being hit by a falling stone.

Ben

crisGloss
09-11-2008, 10:04 AM
the coal mining history resource centre
It is amazing the diversity of archives

Thank you
Chris