PDA

View Full Version : Understanding legal documents 1909

sandrajgay
23-09-2008, 12:10 AM
I am fortunate to have my grandfather's appreticeship indenture papers seven years to De La Rue as an engraver. His father had died when he was only young, and while his mum had remarried, she sought charitable help on more than one occasion for her children.

The trustee for Spencer Charity Lambeth is signatory in "the second part", the apprentice in the "first part" and the De La Rue representative in the "third part".

Further down the paper, in the margin is inserted "the said master in consideration of the services of the said apprentice of the sum of 10 pounds sterling paid by the *

*said trustees of the Spencer Charity ( receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged) agrees that.

Does this merely mean that the Spencer Charity paid a 10 pound binding fee? Does that make them his sponsor? Is he answerable to them in any way?

The war intervened and the apprenticeship never completed. Did the 10 pounds have to be repaid?

Sandra

CanadianCousin
23-09-2008, 6:12 PM
Hi Sandra,

I'm no expert on this, but as you haven't had any other replies yet, I'll offer my opinion.

Does this merely mean that the Spencer Charity paid a 10 pound binding fee?That what it sounds like to me.

Does that make them his sponsor? I don't know if there is/was a legal definition of "sponsor" in this context; the Merriam-Webster online dictionary has two definitions that might be applicable here:
2: one who assumes responsibility for some other person or thing
3: a person or an organization that pays for or plans and carries out a project or activity

It certainly looks as if the Spencer Charity paid for your grandfather's apprenticeship, and so would be his sponsor in that sense, but it isn't clear (at least from what you've provided) that they assumed any other responsibility for him.

Is he answerable to them in any way?Again, this is only my own uninformed opinion, but I don't believe that the apprenticeship indenture would make him answerable to the Spencer Charity, but only to his master. Possibly some other document would define his responsibility to the Charity.

The war intervened and the apprenticeship never completed. Did the 10 pounds have to be repaid?Do you mean repaid by the master or repaid by your grandfather? I can't imagine that the master would be under any obligation, especially if your grandfather left voluntarily. I don't know if your grandfather had an obligation to pay back the indenture fee, whether or not he finished his apprenticeship - if he had signed an agreement with the Spencer Charity, this would presumably be spelled out there.

I found this page (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=088-iv165&cid=0) on the TNA (A2A) website which may refer to the Spencer Charity, although they describe it as the Lawrence and Spencer Charity, Lambeth, Surrey. Here's what it says:
"Lawrence and Spencer's charity was established in 1661 with the gift by Major Lawrence of 6 houses in Dog House Field, Lambeth for the purpose of establishing a school; the school was built in 1757 by the parochial school trustees. James Spencer left further money in 1787 for the purpose of apprenticing 2 boys yearly who had been educated by the charity. The original school site was purchased by the L.S.W.R. in 1847 and the school moved to Lambeth Green."
If this sounds like the same organization, there may be records relating to your grandfather at the Lambeth Archives (http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/LeisureCulture/LocalHistory/Archives.htm). They offer a research service (at £20 per hour), or perhaps SKS on here would look for you. I think the reference is likely to be:
IV/165/3/1/5 James Spencer. Minutes. Feb. 1907 - Aug 1914
Hope this helps -

Tim

sandrajgay
23-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks Tim

looked really closely at the doc last night with my husband and we agree with everything that you advised. He was actually called into the active service at the outbreak of war as he was a reservist so we think now there was probably no obligation to repay the money. Interestingly

I googled the Spencer Charity and only found their archive. I certainly appreciate the extra info. I am in the throes of writing a comprehensive family history.Detail and accuracy are important.

I will certainly have Lambeth conduct searches as my great uncle was educated at a boarding school thanks to a local charity. The charity may have had an interest in both boys.

Sandra