PDA

View Full Version : Ontario Newspaper Archives?

JStewart23
22-09-2008, 2:10 PM
I have recently been researching the family of Henry Cooke (born 1847 in Godalming, Surrey) and Esther Marchant (also born 1847, in Thursley, Surrey). They emigrated to Ontario, Canada around 1870.

I've found a death certificate for Henry - he died on Dec 11th 1871 in Simcoe, Norfolk County, Ontario, and the cause of death is listed as "Accidental - verdict of Coroner"

My questions, then :

1) Is there any chance his death may have been reported on in the newspapers at the time, and

2) Where would I even begin to start looking?

Thanks for any help,

Jasmine

Mary Anne
22-09-2008, 4:40 PM
Jasmine

Yes, I would think so. Also in the Sessional (Court) Papers of Canada West (as Ontario then was), but these are probably not online.

Paper of Record (FREE) has scans of the Simcoe Reformer from 1860 -- also a fabu search engine - www.paperofrecord.com

You might also try the Simcoe County GenWeb...they seem to have lots of info....might be willing to have a look at the Coroner's Reports for you.
http://www.waynecook.com/simcoe.shtml

Mary Anne

Waitabit
22-09-2008, 9:43 PM
Have you tried Ontario Cemeteries online" also, some beautiful photos here & some times tombsrones tell a story.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dcoop/

susan-y
23-09-2008, 2:18 AM
Actually, its the Norfolk County Gen Web you need...:)
confusing I know, but the town of Simcoe is not in Simcoe county. Also check the Brant county pages as the 2 of them overlap alot of their information.
www.ontariogenealogy.com and www.genealogylinks.net/canada/ontario/index.html
are 2 great sites.

Good luck...

Sue

Mary Anne
23-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Oops, sorry. Too quick and made an a$$ -umption |oopsredfa Norfolk it is! (you even said so, Jasmine! Duh!). Same applies, though, I would contact them regarding Coroner's Reports...

You might try looking at the Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid... http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/

although their search engine is apparently not working right now. It has the broadest coverage for Ontario cemeteries... over 2 million interments from several thousand cemeteries, cairns, memorials, and cenotaphs.

JStewart23
23-09-2008, 3:58 PM
Thanks for the help guys - plenty for me to work on there! :) Will give the cemetary database a try, have also found a Norfolk family history society that might be able to help. Will let you know if I find anything exciting...

MariaL
28-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Hello Jasmine,

I managed to get hold of copies of newspaper reports by contacting Ottawa Library. On their website they have a 'ask a question' section. I gave them as much detail as possible and they kindly got back to me with information and copies of newspaper articles. You may have to pay a small fee for copies and postage - but it's worth it! Good luck!

Maria

John & Mon
17-10-2008, 9:11 AM
Hi Evryone,
I am researching the Mills family Agnes Caroline Mills emmigrated to Canada, Ontario and married Eglin Tinline in March 1924. We would love to find some pictures of the family from Newspapers etc. So any ideas would be greatfull.
Monica

Bob Topley
18-11-2008, 1:57 AM
If anyone is looking for BMD in the vicinity of Toronto Ontario Canada I would suggest the following site:

google: toronto star pages of the past

I was able to find family relatives who had BMD notices in the newspaper.

susan-y
18-11-2008, 3:30 AM
Hey Bob!

How's the snow?/|laugh1||laugh1| Sorry...I shouldn't laugh, its been missing us, but I'm sure we will pay.:(

That's an interesting site and one I never knew about...thankyou, I'll have to try it when I have a few pennies to spare. I put in the name of a possible family member and got some obit replies so I shall have to pay to read and find out if this person is who I am looking for. Maybe some questions will be answered yet.

Sue

Shayner
05-01-2009, 9:06 PM
Hi Folks,

I live about a half hour from Simcoe. If you figure out what cemetary
your people are in, I will see if I can get a picture of the headstone for you.

Shayne