PDA

View Full Version : Parish churches in Stoke Newington

pipsqueak
20-09-2008, 7:12 PM
Does anyone know where I can find out the names of parish churches in Stoke Newington? Particularly, churches in which a person born in Stoke Newington in the 1860s might have been Christened.

I can't locate a birth record for Robert E Sutton, born c1866 in Stoke Newington. (The E possibly stands for Edward) If anyone can find it or can help me locate a Baptism record, I will be very grateful.

This man and his family are very closely connected to mine by name, proximity and by photographs, but frustratingly I cannot find where he fits into my family.

I can't find him on a census prior to 1901 in England either.

In case someone should wonder - he met his English wife, Beatrice, in America and married her there. His eldest son Robert Edward Sutton was born in New Jersey and his two daughters (Florence and Getrude) were born in Walthamstow. In 1904 the family returned to New Jersey and were still there in 1920. I have found a US WW1 draft card for Robert Jr. and possibly a WW2 draft card too.

benny1982
20-09-2008, 8:00 PM
Hi Pipsqueak.

I have ancestors who lived in Stoke Newington for a short while in 1864 to 1865. The main churches are

St Mary Stoke Newington and:-

West Hackney Church.

I would go for Robert Sutton's baptism as being at St Mary, Stoke Newington. Do you know what quarter his birth was registered? Stoke Newington comes under Hackney district. Neither churches are on the IGI. I cannot find a Robert E Sutton birth in district but have found this:-

Births Sep 1864
Sutton Robert William Hackney

I am in London next week at the LMA. Maybe I could look for you in the church registers if you want.

Ben

pipsqueak
20-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi Ben! It would be wonderful if you could take a look for me. Help like that is invaluable to someone three thousand miles away.

I cannot find his birth record, as I said. Almost every time I have found him anywhere he is listed as Robert E Sutton and his son is the same. (Only on the WWI draft card of the son does it say Robert Edward Sutton.) The year of birth is likely to be in 1866 but date is unknown.

I think that he might be connected to the family of my great-great-grandfather: Robert Sutton.

If you are willing and able to look, this is the information you will need:

1. My Robert Sutton (born 1837, Crowland, Lincs) was married in Haggerstone Parish church to Jane Maria White on June 2nd 1860.
2. They had three children: Emily Jane (27 May 1861 - Hackney), Edward Joseph (20 Jan 1863 - Edmonton) and Florence Annie (14 Jan 1866 - Stoke Newington).
3. My Robert Sutton had several brothers of which three are lost. I suspect that Robert E Sutton might be a son of Robert's younger brother Edward Charles Sutton who was born in 1839 in Crowland, Lincs and was last heard of in the census of 1851.
4. Finally, this Robert E Sutton and my g-grandmother, Florence Annie Sutton, were both born in Stoke Newington and probably in the same year. If he is her cousin, they might well have been Christened at the same church. In 1901 his youngest daughter was Christened on the same day and in the same place as my grandmother.

I hope that you'll find that information helpful. If any more information is helpful to you, let me know.

Thank you again!

Mutley
20-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Hi Pipsqueak.
I cannot find a Robert E Sutton birth in district but have found this:-

Births Sep 1864
Sutton Robert William Hackney

Ben

Possibly the above is not, as he seems to be this one in 1881, saying born Hackney, parents are Robert and Jane, but I think the children are different. :(
Class: RG11; Piece: 294; Folio: 23; Page: 2;

Kerrywood
21-09-2008, 12:24 AM
I just wonder if perhaps your Robert E SUTTON is actually the same person as Edward Joseph SUTTON born 1863. Maybe he changed his name to Robert Edward in the US, or when he came back? There might be a "story" there.

The similarities are very striking. In 1901 Robert's occupation (bricklayer) and place of birth (Stoke Newington) match Edward's in 1881. The younger daughter Florence could be named after the sister. If Robert = Edward, that would also explain why you can't find "Robert" in an earlier census. The age discrepancy in 1901 (3 years) would probably be within acceptable limits, especially as his wife Beatrice was so much younger.

Have you found Edward Joseph SUTTON after 1881, or a marriage or a death for him?

Have you got a US marriage certificate for your Robert E Sutton, and if so who does he say his father was?

RG13-1634 folio 85 page 33
14 Mission Grove, Walthamstow ESS
Robert E Sutton Head M 35 Bricklayer Worker Stoke Newington (Ldn)
Beatrice Sutton Wife M 25 Birmingham (Warw)
Robert E Sutton Son S 4 US America (B. S.)
Gertrude Sutton Daur S 2mo Essex Walthamstow

1891 - not found

RG11-1383 folio 91 page 64
4 Rose Cottages, Stamford Road, Tottenham MDX
Robert Sutton Head Widr 42 Bricklayer Lincolnshire Croland [sic]
Edward Sutton Son Unm 18 Bricklayer Middlesex Stoke Newington
Florence Sutton Daur 15 Middlesex Stoke Newington

RG10-313 folio 41 page 30
12 Tyssen Street, St John Hackney MDX
Robert Sutton Head Mar 33 Bricklayer Lincolnshire
Jane Sutton Wife Mar 31 Middlesex Hackney
Emily Sutton Daur 9 Scholar Middlesex Hackney
Edward Sutton Son 7 Scholar Middlesex Hackney
Florence Sutton Daur 5 Scholar Middlesex Hackney

Just something to think about, perhaps?

Kerrywood

pipsqueak
21-09-2008, 3:10 AM
Mutley - I have seen that entry before and don;t know what to make of it. i believe he was born in 1866 or 1867, bu tto be 16 in 1881 he would have had to have been born in 1865 and none of the other information ties into that year of birth.

Kerrywood - I certainly understand why you would come up with your theory but I actually found Edward Joseph in Toronto with a wife and children, all of whose names and information appear in his sister Emily's Birthday Book so I really don't see that they can be the same person. I really do appreciate you looking - it is something I had considered too, but the evidence for him being in Canada is overwheleming.

benny1982
26-09-2008, 10:31 AM
Hi pipsqueak

Sorry I couldnt find any Robert Edward Sutton births in either Stoke Newington church from 1864 to 1867. Apart from the 1864 one, I cannot either see any likely births in the Hackney district either.

Ben

pipsqueak
26-09-2008, 10:59 AM
That's interesting... thank you for taking the time to look for me - I appreciate it :)

Lesley Robertson
26-09-2008, 1:10 PM
Does anyone know where I can find out the names of parish churches in Stoke Newington? Particularly, churches in which a person born in Stoke Newington in the 1860s might have been Christened.

The 1868 description of SN is on the GENUKI page for Middlesex, her:
http://homepages.gold.ac.uk/genuki/MDX/StokeNewington/StokeNewingtonHistory.html
It sound like it's a single parish, but with a collection of churches.

GENUKI is yoour friend!

Lesley

pipsqueak
26-09-2008, 2:46 PM
You're right - I never thought to look it up there - that was interesting reading. I have ancestors and their relatives who all lived in all those named places - which are all much more in one area than I had previously realised. I even have family buried in Abney Park Cemetery. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. :)