PDA

View Full Version : Edinborough/Bannard/Hurbage/Burbage/Umney

Fellwalker
20-09-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm trying to find more inofrmation about some of my ancestors who--as far as I have traced them--came from Northamptonshire

John Bannard was born in 1692 at Marston St Lawrence--he married an Elizabeth Edinborough who seems to have been born 1700 in Thenford ? Northants

Their son another John Bannard b 1723 --Marston St Lawrence--married Elizabeth Burbage Hurbage who was born c 1727--apparently also there
I would be interested to find out if Elizabeth did have those similar names and anything at all about the Hurbages & the Burbages if this wasn't an error at some point.

William Umney was born c 1788 in Northants near I believe to the Border with Buckinghamshire.I understand that when he married Elizabeth Bannard he was a widower. I am trying to find out who William Umney's parents--and grandparents were.

If any of thse surnames are in your tree, I'd lbe delighted to hear from you--thank you

wbannard
23-09-2008, 6:16 PM
I have John Bannard m. Elizabeth Edinborough in the chapel of Warkworth, parish of Marston Feb 9, 1720.

Their son John, baptized Feb 8 1723, m. "Miss Burbage of Middleton Cheney. The name Burbage is not common in that parish, but the hame Hurbage is frequent"

Their son Thomas was the manager of the Duke of Bridgewater's estate and a "noted eccentric" who "rode with the King's Guards".

I suspect the actual name was Hurbage and that Burbage was just a transposition on the marriage records.

Fellwalker
23-09-2008, 8:23 PM
Thank you for your reply to my posting.

As you see in my message, I had wondered if, in the copying of the name Hurbage--or Burbage--there had been an error

From what you say about the date of John Bannard--bapt 1723--Feb 8th 1723 --I have the full date in my tree--and having Elizabeth Edinborough marrying John Bannard-- it would seem that we have the same family. Exciting!

Elizabeth Edinborough and John Bannard were my 7 x great grandparents.
Their son John & Elizabeth Hurbage/Burbage had a son William Bannard--and he is my direct ancestor.
If you would like to know more about his/my line,please let me know --I would be interested in your line of descent too please--it would be good to know more about the family and how we connect.
Maybe you would like to send a private message?
Eileen

wbannard
24-09-2008, 5:21 PM
Open the link below and go to the last item, the "printer" box, which is a 5 MB PDF of a large amount of Bannard family stuff. Search through that and you will find one or more refs to your William.

Apparently he is my ancestor also; I believe he is the father of the William who came to America in 1834 with his brother John and established the family here.

Email directly if you want - this process is a bit too involved for someone with my limited skills.

http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/FH12&CISOPTR=58260&CISOSHOW=53607

wbannard
25-09-2008, 3:10 PM
I am having some difficulty posting on this site. I got your last message through email but from the site, so I cannot respond to it directly, and your message does not show up on the thread. I hope this gets to you.

From my great-uncles history:

John B. m. Eliz. Burbage/Hurbage. They had 3 children:
Thomas
Mary
William

William m. Eliza Cherry (first wife - the issue from the second wife had no William or Elizabeth))

They had 7 children; one was "Betsy", who may be your "Elizabeth"

Another was William, who is my ancestor. This appears to be where our lines split.

it is interesting that your Elizabeth married an Umney, because my ancestor William, presumably her brother. married Susan Umney in 1819 and came to the US in 1834, settling in Schenectady NY. They are my several-times great grandparents.

I am repeating the URL to the Bannard geneology below. The previous one had to be copied and pasted because the site managed somehow to only highlight half of it. That was probably your problem.

http://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/FH12&CISOPTR=58260&REC=4

wbannard
26-09-2008, 3:47 PM
I had another note from you sent me through email by the site. I responded but neither your note nor my reply show up here.

Can you simply email me directly?

wbannard AT aol DOT com