PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell Family, Paisley, Renfrew 18th Century

Inez Reed
20-09-2008, 1:47 AM
Seeking the parents of Thomas Mitchell, born in 1758 in Paisley, Renfrew, Scotland (father-John?). He was in New York during the American Revolution. Where he married a Jean/Janet/Jennett Patton in 1781. She may have also been a native of Paisley.

Thank you.

Inez Reed

michaelpipe
20-09-2008, 3:19 AM
'Scotland's People' does not show a Thos Mitchell b in Renfrew between 1750 & 1760.
There are a few elsewhere in Scotland, but it would be a stab in the dark. The nearest is possibly Thomas Mitchell bap 25 02 1758 Glasgow City/Lanark parents Thomas Mitchell & Agnes Hill GROS ref 644/001 0130 0084

Michael

Inez Reed
20-09-2008, 4:08 PM
I was thinking Abbey, Renfrew. This Thomas was the son-in-law of William Patton or Paton. It's a shot in the dark at best so thank you.

Inez

Lesley Robertson
20-09-2008, 8:11 PM
'Scotland's People' does not show a Thos Mitchell b in Renfrew between 1750 & 1760.
There are a few elsewhere in Scotland, but it would be a stab in the dark. The nearest is possibly Thomas Mitchell bap 25 02 1758 Glasgow City/Lanark parents Thomas Mitchell & Agnes Hill GROS ref 644/001 0130 0084

Michael

Don't forget that because SP is based on the registers of the Church of Scotland, if they were any sort of non_conformist, they are unlikely to turn up in there (some Ministers also recorded their non-Cons, but not all).

Lesley

Inez Reed
22-09-2008, 1:01 PM
Don't forget that because SP is based on the registers of the Church of Scotland, if they were any sort of non_conformist, they are unlikely to turn up in there (some Ministers also recorded their non-Cons, but not all).

Lesley

Bingo. Thomas Mitchell was not a member of the Church of Scotland. He was buried at St. George Anglican in St. Stephens, NB...at least he died an Anglican. His children's records are associated with that parish. No telling what sort of religious free thinker he was across the sea :D

Inez

Inez Reed
22-09-2008, 1:38 PM
What little I do know about Thomas & Janet Patton Mitchell are the names of their children: John b. 1784; William born about 1785; Isabella born 1786; and Mary born 1789. From how we name children in our family (not original by any means), Iwas thinking that his parents may have been John and Isabel (various spellings) Mitchell and hers William and Mary Patton. I've looked at the IGI batch numbers from Renfrew and found a couple of fits but I am dubious about the IGI itself.

How was the Index compiled? My over-all impression of LDS online resources is that it suffers from under or incomplete reporting. I have considered ordering OPR films through the LDS family history centre in our area. Where would one find a catalogue listing the OPR microfilm numbers?

Best wishes on this glorious day,

Inez

Lesley Robertson
22-09-2008, 1:55 PM
Bingo. Thomas Mitchell was not a member of the Church of Scotland. He was buried at St. George Anglican in St. Stephens, NB...at least he died an Anglican. His children's records are associated with that parish. No telling what sort of religious free thinker he was across the sea :D

Inez

The good news: SOME non-con registers have survived.
The bad news: They're not available on line yet. They're in the National Archives for Scotland (NAS).
Possibly better news: If you can identify the church they were likely to have used, you can search the NAS catalogue on line and find if the registers have survived. NAS are generally happy to sell copies of the stuff they've digitised, and they've been working on church records, so you might get lucky.....

Lotsa luck,
Lesley