PDA

View Full Version : Sarah Jacobs - Born in London 1892

kelkendall
17-09-2008, 6:27 PM
I am trying to find out about my maternal grandfather Benjamin Jacobs family. We have no record of who Benjamins father was other than family folk law that says that his mother Sarah was on the stage (the courus line we think) in a London theatre. The story my grandfather always told was that when the boys parents found out that Sarah was pregnant they sent their son off to America and left Sarah to fend for herself.

Grandfather was Benjamin Jacobs later known as Benjamin Howley born 1913.

Great Grandmother was Sarah Jacobs born 1892 she had Benjamin out of wedlock but many years later married John Aurther Turner. Sarah died aged 64 on 03/01/1957 at the time they both resided at 6 Salcombe Road, London, N16.

I know my Great, Great Grandfather was Benjamin Jabobs I believe born 1873 as I have a death certificate that my grandfather had kept. This showed Benjamin went on to be a market porter and lived at 9 Arlingford Road Lambeth SW2 at the time of his death 10/09/1957 aged 84.

My Great, Great Grandmother was Elizabeth Jacobs (nee Abrahams) born C1873. Benjamin and Elizabeth were married 15/03/1892 at East London Synagoue in the parish of Mile End Old Town, London. Their residence was recorded as 5 Bull Court. Their fathers were recorded as Issac Jacobs a Cigar Maker and Abraham Abrahams also a cigar maker but deceased at the time of the marriage.

If anyone can help with information as to my Grandfathers father or any other information on this line of the family it would be appreciated.

Best Wishes to all Kel

benny1982
20-09-2008, 8:15 PM
Hi Kel

I found Elizabeth Abrahams on the 1881 census at 5 Bulls Court, daughter of Abraham & Maria Abrahams. Both parents were born in London. Abraham was a cigar maker.

I found Benjamin Jacobs born in London City c1873 in the 1881 census with Polish parents Isaac and Betsey Jacobs but Isaac was listed as a Tailor.

As for Benjamin born in 1913, when did he become known as Howley and do you have his birth certificate? Have you checked to see if John Arthur Turner was married and if so, when did his wife die? It is possible he was the father.

Ben

kelkendall
21-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Hi Ben

Thank you for the information I think that Abraham must have been a tailor by trade and at the time of the 1881 census but between then and when Elizabeth married in March 1892 he changed to be a Cigar maker. It appears that other family members were also Cigar makers and this makes me curious did Benjamin and Elizabeth met and then there fathers started to work in the same trade or did Benjamin and Elizabeth met because there fathers were in the same trade. Or maybe it has no relvance and was just a coincidence. I have a copy of their marriage certificate which is nice to have.

My Grandfather Benjamin Jacobs (Howley) born 1913 was born Jacobs his mother madien name but the family say he changed it to Howley because for a period of time my Grandmother Sarah was in a relationship with a man ?? Howley who Benjamin really cared for. So to show his respect Benjamin started to call himself Benjamin Howley I will never know if this is true or not because my Grandfather has died now and he had alzheimer's from an early age.

My grandmother Sarah did not meet John Aurther Tuner until much later in life so the family have no reason to believe he is Benjamin's father although they remember him as a really nice man.

I have been trying to see if I can find any records of Sarah being on the London stage to see if this gives me any leads but no luck so far. I thought if I could tell what theatre she performed at I might be able to see if anyone was sent of to america that was connected to that theatre.

Best Wishes Kel