PDA

View Full Version : WHO AM I TO THEM ?

dietabix
16-09-2008, 8:29 PM
You may remember I was trying to sort out finding my Grandmother Lily who turned out to be Elizabeth, that was a fun hunt. :D Well a couple of days ago someone from Elizabeths brothers family got in touch with me, so exciting the first from that side. But .... I can't work out :confused: what relation I am to them.
On my there is my Grandmother Elizabeth, her son, my father and me, on their side there is Elizabeths brother Arthur, his son G..... and his son. The more I try and work it out the more confused I get am I cousin, great cousin or what to each of them ? Please he
Suelp |help|

v.wells
16-09-2008, 8:34 PM
http://home.triad.rr.com/zanetti/chart2.html for a relationship chart

Mutley
16-09-2008, 8:47 PM
I think he is your 3rd cousin.

Arthur would be your great grand uncle = Elizabeth your grt grandmother
his son, your 1st cousin 2 removed = your grand parent
his son, your 2nd cousin 1 removed = your parent
his son, your 3rd cousin = you

Maybe:)

Mutley
16-09-2008, 8:58 PM
I don't know if you can right click this image, save it to your computer and then once you have it, enlarge it. Worth a try.:)
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/MutleyBG/FamilyRelationships.jpg

dietabix
16-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks all for your help, the Family Relationship Tree is just what I needed, seeing it in print has made it clear for me.
I now have new 1st and 2nd cousins :D
Sue

Maximilian
07-11-2008, 11:46 PM
A note of caution about Mutley's family tree.

It displays US terminology rather than British, in that in British English 'grand' is used only with reference to grandparents. In American Engish it is also used for the next generation of uncles and aunts - grand uncle, grand aunt, which in British English is great uncle and great aunt.

Likewise, in the other direction, British English says great nephew, great niece, whereas American English says grand nephew, grand niece.

To cite Bernard Shaw's aphorism, the USA and Britain are two countries divided by a common language.

Mutley
08-11-2008, 12:01 AM
OOOh AAAh! What do ya know?

I bought it from an English Family History Stand at the WDYTYA show.

I never noticed the wording when I stuck it in my bum bag!!! :D :D

dietabix
08-11-2008, 9:33 AM
Thanks for that Maximilian |bowdown|, I never noticed that, but looking at it I see what you mean ! It's funny how you read what you want to be there isn't it !
Sue

R A KING
08-11-2008, 9:52 AM
I don't know if you can right click this image, save it to your computer and then once you have it, enlarge it. Worth a try.:)
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/MutleyBG/FamilyRelationships.jpg

thanks for the chart - I can show it to my husband when I find some-one new and he might understand what I am talking about and where they fit in.
Rosemary

Peter Goodey
08-11-2008, 10:20 AM
To my mind, if you need a chart to explain a term, it begs the question how useful the term is in the first place.

One might as well just use a chart with real names to explain relationships and forget about slippery cousin terminology. The stated relationship of "some sort of cousin" works for me.

Sue Mackay
08-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Have moved this from Strays (which is really for individuals found where they would not be expected to be found) to Useful Information. A lot of you, if not Peter, seem to have found it useful |laugh1|

Peter Goodey
08-11-2008, 10:33 AM
A lot of you, if not Peter, seem to have found it useful

I was just looking for an argument :D :D :D

Mutley
08-11-2008, 1:17 PM
I was just looking for an argument :D :D :D

~~Reminder to Mutley~~

Don't take Peter head on in an argument.
1. He normally knows what he is talking about. :D
2. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. :D
3. He is probably a lot bigger than me. :D

Wilkes_ml
08-11-2008, 1:43 PM
I though I recognized the chart from my handy book "Tracing your ancestors The A-Z guide" 5th ed. a FFHS production, so I just checked and mine also has grand-uncle etc. Is it really an American terminology, or just the English terminology has been corrupted by the English since the book was produced in 1985?:D

Peter Goodey
08-11-2008, 1:48 PM
1. He normally knows what he is talking about.

If only :o

2. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I'm not sure that I agree :D :D :D

3. He is probably a lot bigger than me.

Much as I might like people to think that, at least Bo Peep and Jan know I'm only a short house :(

Maximilian
08-11-2008, 5:18 PM
I though I recognized the chart from my handy book "Tracing your ancestors The A-Z guide" 5th ed. a FFHS production, so I just checked and mine also has grand-uncle etc. Is it really an American terminology, or just the English terminology has been corrupted by the English since the book was produced in 1985?:D

The oral tradition of my own family history goes back to 1870, if not earlier, and none of us had ever heard of grand uncles etc until the relatively easy import of American publications became possible. Grand uncles and aunts are a peculiarly (in the proper sense of "peculiarly") American variant, in the same way that they talk about witness stands, instead of witness boxes; sidewalks, instead of pavements; subway instead the tube or underground; cookies, instead of biscuits; color, instead of colour, etc. And I can imagine how insulted my beloved great aunts would have felt if I had started to address them as "grand aunts".

All the appearance of the chart in the FFHS guide shows is laziness on the part of the editor in not arranging for English terminology to be slotted into a chart that was obviously drawn in the USA.

twinespinner
05-02-2009, 11:03 AM
You may remember I was trying to sort out finding my Grandmother Lily who turned out to be Elizabeth, that was a fun hunt. :D Well a couple of days ago someone from Elizabeths brothers family got in touch with me, so exciting the first from that side. But .... I can't work out :confused: what relation I am to them.
On my there is my Grandmother Elizabeth, her son, my father and me, on their side there is Elizabeths brother Arthur, his son G..... and his son. The more I try and work it out the more confused I get am I cousin, great cousin or what to each of them ? Please he
Suelp |help|

He is your second cousin. Arthur is your great uncle, G... is your second cousin once removed, and G...'s son is your second cousin. You don't need a chart to work it out, you just have to ask which ancestor you have in common. If you have the same grandparent you are first cousins. If the same great grandparent, you are second cousins and so on. If you are not of the same generation, i.e. at the same 'level' on the tree, then you are 'removed'.

When I was a child in the sixties I was taken to visit various great aunts and uncles. I never heard the terms grand uncle, grand niece, etc. until I started family history. I had assumed these terms might be used in other parts of Britain, up north perhaps, but it does seem more likely that they are the American terms.

Ladkyis
05-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Actually I believe it works like this

Elizabeth and Arthur are brother and sister so their children are first cousins.
the next generation are first cousins once removed

freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ruthann/charts/relation.pdf (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ruthann/charts/relation.pdf)

All the downloads here are free

elizabethjones1
05-02-2009, 3:15 PM
I am so pleased that you good folk have clarified this point as I (I now realize) been getting it round the wrong way with 2nd cousins and once removed and it is so logical too.Thanks Eliza |nutkick|