PDA

View Full Version : Ukraine POW

Spaceman
16-09-2008, 4:16 PM
How would i find out more about a Ukraine POW who came over here and put in a camp(?) in Aston Derbyshire??

Geoffers
16-09-2008, 7:44 PM
Assuming this is WW2 - Administrative records relating to the camp are likely to be held by The National Archives at Kew.

Searching the catalogue, each camp had a war diary, now in document class WO166. The only such camp in Derbyshire is shown at Swanwick.

There is a file at TNA recording all PoW camps (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=3151605&CATLN=6&Highlight=%2CPRISONER%2CCAMPS&accessmethod=0&Summary=True)

Spaceman
18-09-2008, 6:42 PM
right having a bit of a browse i have found it was in weston on trent Derbyshire camp number 634 Tarasivka. so how would i get more info on it from Kew in the post i had a look on the site and it makes no sence to me lol

Geoffers
19-09-2008, 7:10 AM
right having a bit of a browse i have found it was in weston on trent Derbyshire camp number 634 Tarasivka. so how would i get more info on it from Kew in the post i had a look on the site and it makes no sence to me lol

I am sorry the web-site does not make sense to you. The National Archives holds many millions of historical documents and is the likely starting place for tracing any surviving PoW records, or at least in relation to camp administration. It is a great resource for researchers. The link given shows the reference needed to check the location of all PoW camps (remember th link given is just to a catalogue of documents held, not the actual document itself) and so then lead you to finding other documents. The information you require does not appear to be online and you will most probably need to travel to a record centre such as TNA to further your enquiries. On the minimal information you have provided, there is little more that can be suggested at the moment.

Good luck