PDA

View Full Version : Notts 1861c Ann & Martha Webster

David Sherriff
20-01-2005, 7:50 PM
|banghead| In the 1871c of Nottingham, Byron, at 23 Washington Street, there are listed Ann Webster, Head, Widow, aged 53, Lace mender, born Durham, and her daughter, Martha Webster, Um, aged 19, Lace mender, born Basford, Notts.
Martha Webster's Marriage Certificate in 1872 gives her address as Walker Street, Sneinton, her father is Henry Webster, Printer.( no death indicated) In the Notts 1861 census CD's from Archive Books, I have been trying to locate Ann Webster, possibly her husband, Henry Webster, Martha her daughter and possibly her son, William, so far without success. Where would it be most logical to look next? Even better would be a name index for the 1861 Notts census, but I am not aware of one.

sue seal
21-01-2005, 9:58 PM
Hi David

I found a Burial for a Henry Webster on the 11/07/1869 age 53 in Washington st Nottingham st mary. I have a surname index for 1861 census can let you have all the Webster in it if you like let me know

Regards Sue

David Sherriff
02-02-2005, 11:18 PM
After a long struggle, I think that I have located Henry and Ann Webster in
the 1861c !!! With the help of Sue's index, I was re-viewing census pages that
I had previously looked at and had found nothing, and I came across a very,
very faint page where I could NOT see the name Webster! But I could just
see the Christian names and they looked promising.
The ref. is RG9 2463 pp 112 in the 1861c in Woolpack Yard.
Henry Webster? Head Mar 4? printer born ?
Ann ,, wife ,, 44
Scotland ??
Maria ,, Dau Un 11??? ?????
Scotland ??
Ann ,, ,, 13 ?????
Durham Sunderland
William ,, Son 10 Scholar
Notts
Notts
Martha ,, Dau F
I have typed what I can read rather than guess, so that I do not indulge in
wishful thinking. I was looking at the Archive CD book version of the
1861c Notts census. If you have a different version of the 1861 Notts census, perhaps you could
look at this page in your version, and help to fill in some of the blanks.Yours, David.

NevilleDavitt
13-06-2005, 8:16 PM
From fiche copy in Nottingham of 1841 RG9/2463 Folio 112 Page 24.

Woolpack Yard

Henry Webster, Head, Mar, 43, Printer, Kent, Dover
Ann do., Wife, Mar, 44, Scotland, Peterhead
Maria do.,Daur, Un, 18, Sleeve Mender, do.,Aberdeen
Ann do., do., 13, Cleaner in Factory, Durham, Sunderland
William do., Son, 10, Scholar, Nottingham
Martha do., Daur, 6, do., do.

Where it says Cleaner in Factory the word 'Lace' has been written in afterwards, maybe to clarify type of factory?

The only word I'm not too sure about is 'sleeve' as I don't know whether such occupation as sleeve mender existed.

David Sherriff
13-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Dear Neville, thanks a lot for your help in deciphering these last few words. Only this week I received the birth certificates of daughter Ann and son William and I now have Annie Webster's maiden name, Davison. A transcript of the 1841c for Aberdeenshire is on line at FreeCen, but I have still to definitely find her. I suspect that her name may really be Davidson. Every bit of information helps!

David Sherriff
13-06-2005, 10:48 PM
I understand that the word "lace" was written over any job that was connected with the lace industry, after the census. They were counting up all the people that were employed in the lace industry in Nottingham.

David Sherriff
13-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Annie Webster has led me a merry dance as to where she was born! In different censuses she has said that she was born in Sunderland, Aberdeen and Peterhead, while family lore suggested that she had run away from Scotland with an English Redcoat.