PDA

View Full Version : William Davies, Morgan, Andrews

Stephen Evans
13-09-2008, 1:46 PM
Hi All, my great, great, Grandfather, William Davies was the illegitamate child of Thomas Davies, Vicar of Llangadock, Carmarthenshire. He was born around 1844 in the village, but was taken in by the Morgan family of Nant-y-Moch, Gwynfe a number of miles away from the village of Llangadock. The 1851 Census shows him as a William Andrews, Nursing (Adopted) born illegitamate. I have been unable to find an exact birth date of birth unfortunatly and wonder if there might have been some cover up by the Clergy. Interestingly the 1861 Census shows him as a Morgan, can't find him in the 1871, then oddly enough the 1881 Census shows him as William Davies and married to a Margaret. I have not been able to find an Andrews living in the area at the time. Rumour had it the naughty Vicar had a liason with someone working as a maid at the Vicarage and at the local inn, the Masons Arms!? Thomas Davies remained Vicar until his death in March 1861. Given my distance from researching in the Carmarthen Archives, and the fact I paid for a researcher who came up with nothing at all, I'm afraid I have been hitting a brick wall for over a year. Any suggestions? |banghead||oopsredfa|banghead||oopsredfa

Jan1954
13-09-2008, 7:54 PM
Apparently, the Parish registers for Llangadock, including Christenings from 1708 to 1878, are held at the Carmarthenshire Record Office (http://www.dyfedfhs.org.uk/records.htm) (scroll down until you get to the contact details).

Perhaps you might be better off whizzing over an email, asking if they would check for a baptism for your chap. That way, it may provide some interesting details recorded therein and give you a better pointer for obtaining his birth certificate.