PDA

View Full Version : Source of middle names - William Denton COOKE

Genevieve
20-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Can anyone shed any light on the likely source of middle names? I have a string of William Denton COOKEs in my tree - each time I manage to get back a generation there's another one!

I've also 'got' one who is not on my direct line who had the audacity to be born six months after my ancestor with the same name in the same county. Of course working backwards in the index at the FRC I found the wrong one first and spent 2 years with him incorrectly in my tree. It was only when searching the censuses on Ancestry recently that I found there were two and got hold of the right one. A lesson learned! Anyway, I digress.

Would it be likely that Denton is the maiden name of a mother somewhere back along the line? And/or is there another likely source?

Genevieve
20-01-2005, 1:05 PM
Sounds like you've had 'fun'!

My husband's gt grandmother was Annie Arnott Tod Frazer Hildersley and I am assured they were not 'posh' at all. Tod was her mother's maiden name but I have yet to find out where the rest came from...

arwencarys
29-07-2007, 6:15 PM
It was very common in my cumbrian family for children to take their mothers maiden name as their middle name - it occurs several times in each generation up to the early 1900's.

I think it is a lovely tradition and can also be helpful when tracing your tree.

Mutley
29-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Would it be likely that Denton is the maiden name of a mother somewhere back along the line? And/or is there another likely source?

I have a Harriet Day Denton in my tree. Day was her mother's first husband, Harriet's father. Denton was her mother's second husband, Harriet's step-father.

Regards Mutley

Jenjen
01-08-2007, 8:36 PM
In my main line one family tended to give the middle name of the surname of the married sisters.In some cases she had died and it was clearly to honor her.Also they sometimes used the name of a prominent name in town who was a friend. And yet again they used the name of someone who had left them money-this went on for generations and is still going today. Then again, one time they called their daughter Johanna Merone and guess what on the census there was a neighbor called Johanna Merone. All over the board!!
Jen