PDA

View Full Version : 77 Swaffield Road Wandsworth

Huggs
12-09-2008, 8:45 AM
Hi - I'm really new to all this but have managed to obtain a copy of my grandfathers birth certificate which tells us that he was born at 77 Swaffield Road to Charlotte Huggett unmarried 29.12.14 - I have also found a possible marriage for Charlotte in 1916 to someone called Thomas Pickett in Geo.St.East.

We now want to find out more information did Albert Charles Huggett (Grandfather) stay at 77 Swaffield Road or did he go with his mother or was he fostered/adopted?

Any help would be very helpful, I have also found out that the records are held at LMA but as I live in Devon its quite a trek - so also wondering if there is anyone local that I could employ to look through the records?

Thanks in advance
Maria

Jan1954
12-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Hello Maria - welcome to Brit-Gen.

It looks like there was a fair bit of discussion about 77 Swaffield Road on this forum a couple of years ago. Click here (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13315) to have a read.

It seems that it was a "casual ward" - so a place where the women gave birth but not stay. Whether or not your Charlotte was a resident of the workshouse, is another matter.

Huggs
12-09-2008, 9:19 PM
Thanks - Yes read those previous threads very interesting - Is there anybody who could search the LMA records for us - I phoned them today and they said that I should start with the Creed records but London is a long way for me to travel to. Does anyone know who I could pay to do this for me?
Thanks