PDA

View Full Version : where is John Wortley of Gaddesby 1785?

howardwortley
10-09-2008, 9:54 PM
hi this is my first post so if I have broken 101 rules I am sorry. It is a bit long I guess.

John Wortley 1785-1870 was born in Gaddesby just outside Leicester, baptised at St Lukes. (If ever you are in Leicester you should pay a visit. Even links to Da Vinci code!) He married Elizabeth Hand b 1800 of Sproxton. So far so good. Now John had an education from somewhere (poss. King Edwards) and travelled around Lincs/Leicester a fair bit. He had children in Sproxton, Uppingham, Horbling and Leicester. He worked as a schoolmaster, attorneys clerk and was long time parish clerk of Christchurch (St Margarets) in Leicester. By 1841 he was res. in Leicester and did not move out. His children were Caroline (1817 Sproxton) Julia (1820 Horbling) Martha (1822 Uppingham) Frederick (1824 Horbling) and Rebecca (1832 L'ter). There may be more between 1824-32. Ideas anyone? John & Eliz are buried in Walford Rd L'ter. I am trying to find his antecedents but after a lot of digging have got nowhere except to be sure that there are too many unknown unknowns. . Maybe somebody on the forum has an idea - I am fairly new at this. There was a Richard Wortley Gaddesby 1760-1785 sometimes attrib. as father but this does not fit other information I have. In any case if anybody can provide information about Richard in addition to his marriage to Frances Wilson I would be very pleased. Letter transcripts I have (available on request) suggest that by 1822 John had moved, possibly from Horbling, to Uppingham which improved his health. So much so that Martha Wortley was born there. In Aug 1822 John's mother was staying with him acting as midwife. Parents lived nr Griffydam Loughboro'. A letter in March 1822 mentions visiting his in-laws at Sproxton (John Hand) and missing a Wortley relative (male) who had moved from Sproxton to Horbling. He also mentions a cousin Mary who had married and gone to Kettering. These letters are consistent with what is known about John but obviously conflict with Richard Wortley as being his father. John was 32 when he married Martha. This may be a 2nd marriage. As I have probably already exceeded posting limit I may as well be hung for a sheep. Martha Wortley b 1822 Uppingham cannot be found in the 1841 census. She is there 51 etc as wife of Samuel Scott who on the marriage cert as b 1826 at Wilbarston Northants. There are 2 Scott families at this place but no Samuel in 1841. The marriage was witnessed by a Bellamy. Martha's sister married a Bellamy. So there you have it, lots of info that leads me around in circles. There are of course lots of Leicester/Lincs/Rutland Wortleys but I have not found any links to any of them from John's tree. Any ideas? I look forward to your thoughts with interest. How would I find John's will? Howard W Wortley ps: I do not live anywhere near Leicester .