PDA

View Full Version : WW1 Army Marriage

Mary S (WA)
07-09-2008, 1:56 PM
Could someone please give some advice on who/where to approach for info on a pre-WW1 British army marriage? It was suggested to me through BG forum that the record of my grandfather's (James Bradley) marriage to Mary Harrington (both of Ireland) may be recorded in as a military marriage. There is no evidence of it in BMDs for England during the likely years (1908 to 1911).
Thanks Mary S

Marie C..
07-09-2008, 4:12 PM
Looked for army marriages on fmp with no luck.
Where was he born?
When did he die?
M

Mary S (WA)
08-09-2008, 9:58 AM
Thank you for looking.
My grandparents both came from Ireland (James Bradley - Mayo, Mary Harrington - Cork) but I had always thought my grandfather was English as dad was born in Hampshire. I never had any other info on him apart from a relative called Alice Bradley in Blackburn Lancashire. Grandfather served in the Boer War and died in WW1 1915 aged 39. He was in the Loyal North Lancs Regiment. Does any of this help identify him? I do hope so. He left a wife and child who went back to Ireland before returning to London after 10 years or so. That is where Mary Harrington died in 1934 aged 51. I don't know details of her birth or marriage.
Thanks
Mary

Marie C..
08-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Well did he die at Lens?
There is a James Bradley of the Royal North Lancs Regiment who died Sept 1915.
If this is him then you need to look on A....y army records(they will have transcribed the B's as my grandfthr surname was B and I found a lot of stuff about him on the army records. He too was in Boer and First World Wars.
You will get info on where he married from the army records on A....y and then you can send of for a cert.
M
They may well have married in Ireland if the regiment was stationed there. Could they have married earlier than you think.
There is also a James Bradley of the Marine Light Infantry who died 14 May 1915 who was accidentally shot His burial was Lancs Landing Cemetery Helles?? He was the son of E.A Bradley of Hasland Derbyshire.

Mary S (WA)
08-09-2008, 3:44 PM
Unfortunately am not able to look up A******* for details of my grandfather. (Long story ..... handbag stolen, cancelled credit cards, all things paid by c card became unfinancial. New card issued. Hadn't got round to rejoining. Mislaid new card the other week. It is suspended at the mo while I endeavour to find it!! Will have to cancel soon and start again.)
Isanyone able to find date and place of marriage? I thought itwasinEngland but I suppose it makes more sense to be married in Ireland with all the family being in MAyo or Cork.
Cheers
Mary