PDA

View Full Version : The Reverends Williams of Ystradmeyric etc

Johnzee
07-09-2008, 5:19 AM
Hi

Rev John Williams died on Easter Friday 1813. Does anybody know what date that was?

REAL brick walls

Also apparently there is a photograph (probably of a painting) of him in Lewis WJ 1970. "An Illustrated History or Cardinganshire". The book is not available to me. Can anyone send a digital copy of the photo? There are two early 1800's paintings and an engraving with the descendants here in NZ, and two have no data as to the person depicted.

Has anyone some data on the possible relationship (? uncle-nephew, but definitely not brother-brother or father-son) between Rev. Isaac Williams of Ystrad Teilo and John Williams of Ystradmeyric (= Ystrad Meurig) noted in mortgage of property in Llanfighangel, 1806?

Also John's father David shifted from a 40 acre farm in Llanrhystig parish, Swyddffynnon, near Aberystwyth to somewhere in or near Marlborough, Wiltshire sometime before 1779. However, one middle child was born (ca. 1749) in St Martin, Wiltshire, and the others back in Cardinganshire.
Any pointers/data on these 17000 km distant problems would be very gratefully received - a pickaxe is hard to wield at that distance!

Cheers

Johnzee

Sue Mackay
07-09-2008, 8:19 AM
Hi

Rev John Williams died on Easter Friday 1813. Does anybody know what date that was?

According to this site

http://www.assa.org.au/edm.html

Easter Sunday 1813 was the 18th April, so I presume he died on the 16th.

RuthieB
30-08-2009, 9:47 PM
I have a copy of the book in front of me (it's borrowed from the library at the University of Wales, Lampeter where I work.

The picture is entitled "John Williams, 'Yr Hen Syr' - Ystrad Meurig - Headmaster 1777-1818"

I'm happy to copy it for you, as well as the text on education; although it mentions Ystrad Meurig, it doesn't mention John Williams by name.

RuthieB

Johnzee
01-09-2009, 6:15 AM
Hi RuthieB,

Great news re John Williams of Ystrad Meurig. A picture of him will add another generation to the the various etchings, paintings and recent photos of his descendent six. The earliest painting is of his daughter in law, Catherine, on her marriage to son David in 1792. There is a silver locket of her hair that goes with it!

Are you able to get a relatively high definition digital copy and email it to me?

Also we have very little information on another son, the Venerable Archdeacon John Williams, during his early career in Lampeter. Do you have any references which could fill out a picture of him? All the details so far are his considerable efforts in Edinburgh at the Academy. His nephew (David) taught there with him (about 1840) for a few years before he emigrated to NZ.

Cheers

Johnzee

RuthieB
01-09-2009, 6:58 PM
Johnzee,

If you send me a personal message with your e-mail I'll gladly scan the picture and send it to you.

As to the other John Williams with a connection to Lampeter; can you send me as much info as you have on him; he's before the time of Crockford's and seemingly before the current church building in Lampeter.

I'm a member of the local history society, Hanes Llambed, so I might be able to gain information from there

RuthieB