PDA

View Full Version : Brickwalls & Theories. The clues are often there.

benny1982
05-09-2008, 8:16 PM
Hi

Many of my theories on ancestors have turned out to be true and many brickwalls have been knocked down after lots of research.

My 3xgreat grandmother Mary Ann Walder wed in July 1864 in Stoke Newington, London to Thomas Roberts. She had moved to London suddenly in the 1st half of 1864 as in 31st December 1863 in Slaugham, Sussex, she had an illegitimate child, my 2xgreat grandmother which Thomas Roberts soon after had claimed fatherhood of. I had a theory that they had might have moved to London together after the baby was born. How right I was.

3 years before, in the 1861 census, Thomas Roberts was living a few miles from Mary Ann Walder. Thos in Brighton and Mary in Slaugham. Thomas was married to Esther and had a 9 year old daughter Ann. Thomas was a servant. Also he was a footman. I had a theory, what if Thos met Mary Ann in Sussex, Esther died and they then went on to meet in London?

Esther died aged 42 in November 1863, just 6 weeks before Mary Ann Walder bore her illegitimate daughter. Her death cert said "Phthisis, (tuberculosis) for Years, certified". I am in the opinion that while Esther was really ill with TB, Thomas sought comfort in a younger woman and got her pregnant in the spring of 1863, when Esther's TB was worsening. Thomas must have known that she was dying as in those days, TB was a slow killer. Esthers burial was paid for by parish expense.

Inbetween Feb and about May 1864 Thos and Mary moved 50 miles away to North London. I am sure that was to escape a scandal back in Sussex. At around the same time, his eldest daughter went to live with her aunt. Thomas wed Mary Ann in July 1864, so they probably made wedding arrangements in May or early June. Thos may have moved to London first to set up home there. If he was still in Sussex in Nov 1863, he probably moved to London in about Jan or Feb then Mary probably went in about April, or they may have gone together but it would have taken a bit of time to move there, get a job and settle there.

Once they wed, Thomas and Mary baptised their baby at the church they had got wed at. Mary was again pregnant.

This is an example of how often clues can be there when trying to prove theories or knock down brickwalls as it had taken me ages to find Thomas before I found him in 1861 living in Sussex in the same county as his future wife and that they had moved to London together.

Ben

Marie C..
05-09-2008, 9:09 PM
Yes !the clues are often there Ben, and sometimes the answers are staring us in the face and we don't see it. I spent years looking for a Charles and his father William in Brentford because it never entered my head they could have been born elsewhere. I looked at Buckinghamshire ones that seemed to fit but none of my family came from Bucks. Little did I know! There they were sitting there quietly all that time.
Glad you found yours.
M

benny1982
06-09-2008, 2:27 PM
Hi

Yes, if Thomas hadnt have got Mary Ann Walder pregnant, at 50, he probably wouldnt marry again, or least not for a few years, as he only had one other child and she was 12 and she would have been helping around the house by then. But she went to live with Thomas's sister when they moved to London.

Also, if Esther hadnt have died, Mary Ann Walder would probably have been left bringing up an illegitimate child, or her parents would have passed it off as their youngest. Thomas must have remarried again quite quickly because he had got Mary pregnant while his wife lay dying of TB and he felt it was his duty to make an honest woman of her when he could. TB symptoms included, fever, coughing up blood and lung cavities. No wonder why Thomas sought comfort while looking after a dying wife. I wonder if Mary helped nurse her or something.

Ben